What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking for a large spa in the $5000-$6000 range  (Read 29648 times)

steel_3d

Looking for a large spa in the $5000-$6000 range
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:00:46 am »
Convince me why I should not get this: http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Belize-e750L-Lounger-Spa-P9749C646.aspx - The Belize E750L from soadepot.com.

It seems to be built with decent technology. Can't seem to find any horror stories online, except regarding bad customer service.

I'm not very picky, don't care about wet tests, a million jets and a million horsepower. This needs to be large, to fit a bunch of people at a party, work decently for an evening soak with my wife (if the water's hot I think we'll be happy), be reasonably energy efficient, and it shouldn't break down too much (I fix most things myself).

If not this, what are my options?

Please don't give me the lecture about how scary it is to buy something online. I know the risks. I need hard facts.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Looking for a large spa in the $5000-$6000 range
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:00:46 am »

d00nut

Re: Looking for a large spa in the $5000-$6000 range
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:39:29 am »
I won't lecture you on the risks, it seems like you know those already.

My approach would be why? 

If you can get a reputable brand for the same amount of money, for a unknown, why not?

To name a few, the Hot Spot Relay, Jacuzzi J-235, Sundance Peyton, Caldera Marino... there are more, but you catch what I am trying to say.  All of these would be from someone local, there to provide customer service, should you need it.

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:58:00 am »
why not look at a EMERALD or any of the others that were mentioned? Myself would not spend this kind of money without some face to face contact and somewhere to go if I had problems with the tub. All mfg's have problems at least once in a while with a tub here or there. It is how the dealer responds that really matters in my opinion. Just remember all decisions have consequences.  :o

brillskill

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:52:31 am »
take a look at this..if you dont want to go to dealer,at lerast ypu;; have costo backing it...http://www.costco.com/Evolution-Spas%e2%84%a2-Cedar-Creek-70-jet%2c-6-person-Spas.product.100038292.html

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 01:20:42 pm »
My concerns as a consumer would be it's a big unknown.  You can't judge the quality of the tub by the website.   What brand of pumps (it looks like they advertise Peak HP, which is a bit misleading). It says it has balboa controls, a known company but technicians have told me there are different tiers of Balboa products.   I'd be concerned of the build quality.

The warranty isn’t very good: 2 years on the controls and industry standard is 5.  3 years on plumbing.  Industry standard is 5. You have to pay to ship things back. If the tub goes bad, you pay for all removal costs. Operating the tub below 40 degrees voids the warranty.

You’re on your own with set up and installation.

It's made by Hydra Plastics; they put out a more traditional spa sold through dealers: Clearwater which has a mediocre reputation. This looks to be their discount cousin.

There are enough complaints about warranty and customer service out there on the net that I would be concerned.

At that price it looks like you're going to be getting a lower end tub with poor warranty and bad service. It will probably give you a few years of use before it starts to have problems.  If you are in a colder climate, I'm not a fan of the Thermal pane insulating technology on the lower end tubs.  You may find yourself with some expensive electrical bills in the winter. 

I'd recommend talking to someone who has owned on for several years, as well as talking with a repair technician who is knowledgeable about this brand. And for what  it’s worth  since this will be a $6K investment that will be sitting in your yard for many years (hopefully), why not go out and look at the reputable brand names, if only to have a better understanding of what's out there.  I'd ask the dealer the same question, why not buy the Belize?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:23:02 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 01:37:38 pm »
There are as many unknowns on this type crapshoot as there is setting up a date with someone you've met only on the internet where all you have to go by are their answers to some questions and a picture that you hope is representative but in the end the pic is never a match with reality and the answers are what you wanted to hear but not necessarily the whole truth.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:39:50 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 03:24:05 pm »
like d00nut mentioned above with around a 6k budget you have better local options....better spas, better warranties, better 'after the sale' support

steel_3d

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 01:57:15 am »
Ok. Can you guys keep throwing out names for good choices in this price range and size category? I'd like to have some sort of idea what I'm looking at when I walk into a store.

Thanks for your help so far.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 08:35:55 am »
Steel,

Take at look at the Tiger River and Caldera also has some lower priced tubs. These are both tubs made by Watkins and have a solid reputaiton.

What ever you decide to go with, it makes sense to take a look at what's out there.
07 Caldera Geneva

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:39:01 am »
In that price range you have many options.  Hot Springs Hot Spot line, Jacuzzi 200 series, Nordic, Caldara vescenza series, Sundance.  Most manufacturers have something in that price range

Sam

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 07:21:27 pm »
My concerns as a consumer would be it's a big unknown.  You can't judge the quality of the tub by the website.   What brand of pumps (it looks like they advertise Peak HP, which is a bit misleading). It says it has balboa controls, a known company but technicians have told me there are different tiers of Balboa products.   I'd be concerned of the build quality.

The warranty isn’t very good: 2 years on the controls and industry standard is 5.  3 years on plumbing.  Industry standard is 5. You have to pay to ship things back. If the tub goes bad, you pay for all removal costs. Operating the tub below 40 degrees voids the warranty.

You’re on your own with set up and installation.

It's made by Hydra Plastics; they put out a more traditional spa sold through dealers: Clearwater which has a mediocre reputation. This looks to be their discount cousin.

There are enough complaints about warranty and customer service out there on the net that I would be concerned.

At that price it looks like you're going to be getting a lower end tub with poor warranty and bad service. It will probably give you a few years of use before it starts to have problems.  If you are in a colder climate, I'm not a fan of the Thermal pane insulating technology on the lower end tubs.  You may find yourself with some expensive electrical bills in the winter. 

I'd recommend talking to someone who has owned on for several years, as well as talking with a repair technician who is knowledgeable about this brand. And for what  it’s worth  since this will be a $6K investment that will be sitting in your yard for many years (hopefully), why not go out and look at the reputable brand names, if only to have a better understanding of what's out there.  I'd ask the dealer the same question, why not buy the Belize?

Clearwater actually makes some nice tubs.  The biggest issue that I see are the lang circ pumps being slightly unreliable.  I'm not familiar with this specific tub, but their main line has some very good tubs at reasonable prices.

steel_3d

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 03:52:37 am »
Can you elaborate a bit more? What is lang circ?

Sam

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 12:16:59 pm »
Lang is a company that makes pumps.  Clearwater has used Lang for the small circulation pumps in their hot tubs.  Their jet pumps are aqua-flo which are very reliable.  Some of the Lang pumps have been unreliable.  They have an option for another circulation pump now. 

That being said, the spa that you are looking at is not equivalent to their spa's sold through dealer networks.  They are using their old molds and jets from years ago.  They are also misrepresenting the number of jets by listing the number of nozzles.  That thing does not have 93 jets.   The warranty is pretty terrible as well.  Labor is only 6 months.  The frame is made from wood.  I have seen the cabinet panels that they are using and they are much flimsier and cheaper than their regular line.

Basically, you can go to a dealer and get a full Clearwater for pretty close to that price and it would be a much better tub with the full warranty and dealer support.  You would also get full delivery, not curbside.  Spa depot says that their business model eliminates the middle man to save you money.  This is BS.  Spa Depot is the middle man.  And that really isn't such an amazing deal.  I would not purchase that spa.  You can get much better options in that price range.

steel_3d

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 02:48:27 am »
I talked to the Spa Depot today and clarified a few more things.

It seems that the Belize is a thermal pane model and is full plastic construction. This seems promising to me, as repairs should be super simple on it even if it does break. I assume TP means there's zero foam in the tub. Also has guillotine shutoffs and an equipment compartment that I associate with more expensive models, and are definitely good things. The controls are Balboa VS500, which seems decent. Some pictures of the construction are visible under "more photos": http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Belize-e750-Hot-Tub-Spa-P9750C646.aspx

Is the 3yr shell surface warranty a bad sign?

All in all, if TP makes repairs relatively easy, I might be ok with jumping on this. To get the same level of technology, I'd have to spend closer to 10k retail, which is really pushing the budget.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 05:58:54 am »
TP makes repair easier and it makes thinning your wallet easier as your power bill rises. But if your down in the southern part of the country?
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 05:58:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42