What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Which hot tub has the strongest jets (highest flow rate)?  (Read 27499 times)

bowdrie750

Which hot tub has the strongest jets (highest flow rate)?
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »
All the hot tubs I have been in seem to have jets that are too weak for my taste.  So far the strongest jets I have found by far are in the Marquis euphoria which pumps out 160 gallons per minute through 4 jets (40 gpm/jet).  The Marquis euphoria jets feel great and is probably the hot tub I am going to buy but I wanted to know if any other hot tubs had even higher flow rates especially for the muscles in my lumbar back area?

Hot Tub Forum

Which hot tub has the strongest jets (highest flow rate)?
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Which hot tub has the strongest jets (highest flow rate)?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:55:00 pm »
2 words...HotSpring Aria   http://www.hotspring.com/shop-hot-tub-models/aria

if your not "satisfied" in that spa, then there is no hope  ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 02:37:28 pm »
I was going to mention the Aria as well. However, many other HotSpring tubs have a "JetStream Jet" (huge jet) in the lumbar area. They are on a valve in most cases, which means when normal people are in the tub you can slow them, mellow them, or shut them off altogether. Uh - the Jetstream, NOT the normal people.  ;)

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

clover

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 03:00:53 pm »
You are looking for something that is relative to your interpretation of what is "strong" or "weak".

Performance comes from temperatures, impacting pressure rendering depth of pressure that you feel, and time duration.  You are expecting gpm water flow to give you that answer, it won't. 

IF you supply 140 gpm to 4 jets you get 40 gpm supply, but the flow will be determined by the jet design and it's ability to pass 40 gpm

Air venturi injection is also an integral part of what you "feel" to be penetrating, impacting pressure.  It is not the volumn of water that you are looking for, but the overall affect of the jets in the seat arrangement, hopefully they all have something different to appeal to all users, mainly your SO.

IF the Marquis is the best you have found, the decision is made.  Why is it not already on your deck so you can enjoy it tonight?  Your pursuit of excellence does not want to make a mistake, or buy the wrong one, that too is a relative decision that you must make, you can't go wrong with what you have found.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 04:52:08 pm »
By all means wet test. You can't get any idea how a jet system is going to feel by looking at numbers on a page or screen.

And HP or flow numbers are no indicator. Let's face it; if you can get the massage you are looking for from a tub with lower HP ratings, (assuming they are honest numbers) you will enjoy your tub AND pay a lower power bill.

8)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:20:01 pm »
My Dynasty with the right settings can take paint off of wood, if i wanted it to  :D  You may not like that, but I prefer too much power to too little if it can be controlled.  I can use the diverters, close the jets I'm not using and get blasted.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 03:13:38 pm »
Any 8' Arctic Spa can have 5 4hp pumps.  It's the Epic Series.  This is very powerful.  Contact your local Arctic Dealer and schedule a wet test!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 06:36:40 pm »
Did you mean to type that an Arctic spa can have four 5HP pumps, as in 20 HP total? That would be amazing - but it would pull 15,000 Watts, or 68 amps. That would require a 90 amp breaker to feed JUST the pumps. Blowers and heat could not operate at the same time as those pumps. Could be tough if you only have a 100 amp main panel in your house, in fact it could be tough if you have a 125 (rare) or even 200 (common).

Let's face it: most manufacturers claim far more HP than they really install. Ask any repairman who has replaced a motor - if it says "SPL" on the label, it basically means that any other ratings are false. I replaced one just the other day that said "5HP SPL," but it was 13 amp at 220. That means right around 3 HP in real numbers. 220 x 13 = 2,680 Watts, divide by 750 = 3.8 But that's in a perfect world. More likely that motor would put out just over 3 usable Horse Power, or 3.5 at most, and fitting it with a 3HP impeller would be advisable.

That's one reason I urge people to wet test - AND talk with people who have owned tubs for years. It is rare to find somebody who really enjoys being pounded to bits. Not unheard of (Bill likes it), but rare.

8)

Hot Tub Guru

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:44:39 pm »
Goto Arctics web site.  Click on any 8' spa.  The Epic series have 5 4hp pumps.  It's way too strong for me.  I like that same amount of jets with 3 pumps. 

You are correct the heater wont come on when all 5 pumps are running.  You can't get a blower on a 5 pump system as well.  This does require a 60 amp breaker. 

As I said before go wet test! 

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »
That's way to funny Chas!! I would go one step further however and say that it's one thing for a manufacture to put that on a lable but a totally differant thing for a dealer to look a customer in the eye and lie about that.

I explain the HP ratings to everyone and tell them it's about the water coming out of the jets not the HP rating that matters.

Hot Tub Guru

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 11:17:19 am »
After looking into this and contacting Arctic Spas I got an update.

Its the same motors, just different wet-ends to reduce the Amp draw (which will reduce flow also). 

Sounds like you are having the age-old debate…. Ratings versus actual.  Remember, HP is actually a measure of power consumption.

1 HP = 746 Watts

Watts = Amps x Volts

On the Epic the pumps draw about 8 amps, assuming 230VAC…

230VAC x 8 Amps = 1840 Watts / 746 = 2.47HP

On the Legend and below the pumps draw 11-12 Amps

230VAC x 12 = 2760 Watts / 746 = 3.70 HP

As I said before and will always say.  You still want to wet test!  Feel for yourself.  I've sat in both a 5 pump 61 jet tub and 3 pump 61 jet (different wet ends)  The 5 pump is way to strong for me. 

julie13

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 11:59:46 am »
My husband and I have been searching for a new hot tubs kansas city for the last year.  We have experienced the same problem with weak flow rate. I prefer a strong flow, like massage.  Is it true you can adjust the valve in almost any hot tub? How does that work?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:44:31 pm by julie13 »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 02:31:51 am »
Not every hot tub - some have "Diverter Valves," which shut off whole banks of jets to divert the pressure to large jets when you want them. other tubs have individual jets which can be shut off one by one, adding pressure to the remaining jets.

HotSpring has just announced that it's new 2012 models will have new jets with the ability to shut them off and ram more power through remaining jets. I'm looking forward to seeing these changes.

8)

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 12:11:56 am »
I'm back , been really busy , but I have question bowdrie750 what other brands did you compare with the Marquis Euphoria. There are a lot of brands with very powerful jets in particular seats. Also with diverted valves to move Jets to particular jets. the Hk40 jets are like acupressure jets. Y ou might also check out the D1 Nautilus, its got great jet action,  but one thing to keep in mind is the idea is not to blow you out of the seat, but have jets that hit major muscles ...
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 12:11:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42