What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Cameo - 2010 Model - Good Deal? (Newbie)  (Read 13247 times)

hailypup20

Sundance Cameo - 2010 Model - Good Deal? (Newbie)
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:27:08 pm »
Any thoughts/comments are much appreciated.  I have never owned a hot tub and am looking to purchase one primarily for therapeutic reasons (wife has bad back) and for relaxation.  Visits to my two 'local' hot tub dealers had a variety of models, including Jacuzzi, Ecco, Viking, Hot Springs, Artesian and Sundance.

The store that had the Hot Springs and Artesian had, well, lackluster customer service, while the dealership with the other models was more than helpful, and not pushy in the least (didn't know what to expect, but guess I was expecting something like going to a car dealership). 

Although we are mindful of costs (who isn't, especially these days), we wanted to focus on a hot tub with low operating costs, a good reputation, a solid warranty, and a lounger. 

Everything drew us to the Sundance line, and in particular, the Cameo model.  The local store indicated they are closing out the 2010 line (2011 comes in fall) and are running good deals (but do I trust that).  They said through the end of August (Tuesday), we can get the Cameo for $9999 (tax not included) for the Cameo with all standard features, 5/3 cover with lift, steps, choice of color/trim, aromatherapy, and a 'free' upgrade to the premium intellisound system (i-Pod, JBL speakers, subwoofer, CD, etc)...pretty much everything they offer, save a television.

In short, does this sound like a true, end of the season deal, or would I be overpaying for this setup?  I readily admit that I don't need the speaker system, but if it is coming through as a good deal, it would be a fun addition. 

I have received the vibe that this is a rock-bottom price, but I hate not haggling unless it is a really good deal already. 

Also, anyone have this model?  Thoughts on the quality/cost of ownership.

Thanks a bunch for your time in reading and responding!  Cheers!

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Cameo - 2010 Model - Good Deal? (Newbie)
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:27:08 pm »

hailypup20

Re: Sundance Cameo - 2010 Model - Good Deal? (Newbie)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 10:28:01 pm »
also to note, this includes delivery and setup (not simple curbside delivery)...hopefully I won't think of anything else I forgot to list right after I post this one!

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:42:40 am »
hailypup20,

I have a 2005 Sundance Cameo with the stereo.  I'm not familiar with the current pricing structure but the price you were quoted is about what I paid for mine 5 years ago. 

I love it, no regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat.  Best of luck in your search.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:13:54 pm »
Welcome to the forum,

Being comfortable with the dealer is definitely an important part of buying a hot tub.  Sundance is definitely considered one of the top brands and the Cameo is one of their most popular models. I think you are in good shape there.   I've not been pricing tubs for a few years, but I think your off to a great start. Be sure to let us know how it goes. Many here are genuinely interested it hearing about it.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dark rider

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:24:56 pm »
It's a reasonable price, especially with the stereo, but if you truly don't need the stereo, I'd see how much lower he is willing to go without it.  The JBL setup that Sundance offers is the best of the spa stereos that I've come across, but it's still an overpriced option IMO.  I think it retails for about $1400 MSRP, but often is sold for much less as an option.  I wouldn't pay more than about $500 for it personally.  You'll get a better idea of what it is costing you once you have a quote without it, which should not be a problem since it's a factory order versus floor model.  One nice thing that the stereo option gives you is the ability to control the jets/lighting through the wireless remote.  Personally, I wish they would have just kep an aux. control panel in the tub, and you wouldn't need the remote, but that's neither here nor there  ::)  Either way, Sundance makes great tubs, and I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it!  If you haven't wet tested already, make sure you do so before purchasing to make sure the longer works for you, or if it would be better to go with the Optima.    

hailypup20

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:42:55 pm »
Thanks a bunch to all who replied.  I'm really on the fence here, and this is why.  Only 'local' dealer that sells the Sundance line is a chain - closest one not affiliated with the chain according to the Sundance website is over 100 miles away.  Everyone that I called has the Optima available to wet test, but the Cameo as dry.  I finally got a hold of one location who said they have more room, and can have a Cameo for me wired and filled to wet test on Friday.  Although this is after the promotion for the 2010 year is over (free stereo), he said he could reserve it with a $100 refundable deposit, and if we like it on Friday, we can order it then.  Given the refundable nature of the deposit, I have currently done so...

The 'new' dealer's price is $200 higher, which isn't the end of the world, and he said he'd bring it down to $9995 if I paid with cash or check (again, that's doable, if not ideal).  Wife is concerned about having things in writing tomorrow, so we may take an hour drive to get the paperwork in order while the deal is still in progress and then actually confirm everything if the wet test goes well Friday.  Other problem is that if we don't like this model on Friday, the model year-end deal is over and back to square one!

I confirmed that is the 'lower end' cover lift (not hydraulic) and comes with everything except the TV (think the steps aren't 'Sundance' brand, but rather a model provided by the chain...they seemed well built and sturdy when we saw them Sunday).  Don't think any provisions for extra filters or scent stuff, but that's not a huge deal.  So, right now we're looking at $10,195 plus tax for the Cameo 'fully loaded - TV'.

To the comment about taking off the stereo, the dealer said that is completely provided by Sundance, and that they are moving to a $100 Apple gift card with the 2011 model line.  So, getting rid of the stereo has no effect on price, sadly...

Any and all thoughts are still appreciated.  Does this sound like a good deal?  A deal that is ok, but worth waiting on?  Are we smart to wait to Friday to do a wet test of the Cameo, or should I just go do a wet test of the Optima and hope the lounger is as comfortable as most say?  Sorry, stressed on this decision!  Need to call local electricians to get estimates on wiring as well!

hailypup20

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:49:26 pm »
Another VERY minor question...others are much more important.  Wife wanted to know how the lights look with the blue 'Twilight' colored shell...

hailypup20

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:08:05 pm »
Figured I'd do a short update since I'm still open to any thoughts.  We have a couple concerns that have to be addressed regarding running the electrical, as well as our concrete pad (ours is 3" thick...is that completely unacceptable, or is it ok?...it has a slight slope too, so I need to actually measure to see if it would drop more than an inch over the 8' run)

Anyway, drive 65 miles to wet test the Cameo, and, well, if I'm a dealer, I'm telling my customers to get in before talking finances, because wow was that relaxing.  Lounger was outstanding...my wife and I are within 2" of height (probably pretty rare) and neither of us floated away.  Foot jets on opposite end were very nice, and the Captain's Chair provided a great massage.  Aromatherapy was nothing to write home about, but yes, I'm glad I read others thoughts and gave it the test drive!

Dealer ran through everything, and was very pleasant.  Let him know that we needed to address some issues, and how long could he hold this deal for us.  As it stands, we are going to try to figure out the few 'other' things (concrete/electrical) and have a few weeks to do so without losing the free stereo promotion.  Deal is still $10,195 ($9,995 if paid in cash), and includes the free deluxe stereo, and he also threw in a $500 Apple gift card...seems like a pretty solid deal for $10k, plus tax, and now with a $500 GC.

Thanks to those who lent ideas...all others are appreciated.  Cheers!

BNMac

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 09:57:19 pm »
...as well as our concrete pad (ours is 3" thick...is that completely unacceptable, or is it ok?...it has a slight slope too, so I need to actually measure to see if it would drop more than an inch over the 8' run)

3" is fine.  Ours is about 3 1/2, you could park a truck on it.  A spa's weight is distributed across the entire base.

dark rider

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 10:08:06 am »
Sounds like the Cameo wet test really did it for you!  I don't think the 3" concrete should be a concern with the weight evenly distributed as BNMac indicated.  As long as it's got good compaction and the appropriate amount of crushed stone base, you should be good to go.  If the slope is too much, you can either get it surfaced to be more flat or build-out a pressure treated wood base to accomodate the slope. 

Regarding your earlier question of shell color, most dealers will steer you toward the lighter colors, since colored led lighting will look better at night on a lighter surface.  However, the darker color shells tend to look better during the day.  When do you think you'll get the most use?

hailypup20

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 03:13:10 pm »
Yes, the wet test was great...both of us enjoyed it and thought it had great therapeutic benefits, and continue to be impressed with the quality of the Sundance line.

Appreciate the comments on the concrete...took a real good look, and the thickness of the concrete is highly variable, and there is a fairly good gap that exists underneath (it is bordered by some landscaping stone, and when I dug down next to it, some stone went scurrying underneath the concrete).  As such, I'm relatively concerned about putting it on our current slab with no changes.

The slope is about 7/8" over a 4' run...

Thinking we may look to expand our patio by having one of the 6' by 6' slabs torn up (patio is 12' by 12') and expanding it a bit away from the house, and having it put down to a thickness of at least 4".  Not sure what such a job may run, but I'm having a hard time rationalizing a $10k spa on this current patio.  I noted Sundance recommends at least 4" of concrete, though really doesn't warrant the tub if the concrete fails under any conditions

Have made four appointments for estimates on the electrical work.  Likely going to do the same for the concrete and see what it might run us.  I'll need to find out how long it needs to cure before placing a large, water filled hot tub on it!

Also, good thoughts on the lighter colors...we were leaning that direction, and given the fact that most of its usage will occur at nighttime, it makes good sense!

Cheers!

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 10:00:46 am »
I have a 2007 Cameo.  Paid $9200 for it without the stereo.  Sundance doesn't carry our shell color any longer, but it's a greenish-blue with tan skirt.  A lighter color may reflect the lights more, but the lights still look very cool with the darker shell.  Wife wanted the darker color thinking it would be easier to keep clean.  Not sure if that's the case or not, but I'm fine with the colors we chose both in the day and night.

As for the tub itself, we haven't had any problems with it and we use it about 3-4 times per week.  I would most likely choose the same tub again today.  When I was looking, it was between the Cameo and the Jacuzzi J480.  The reason we went with the Cameo was it was about $1300 cheaper and the dealer had a better reputation.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 10:45:44 pm »
I have the Jacuzzi equivalent of the Cameo and LOVE it.  Also, the stereo is MORE than worth it IMHO.  However, I did wheel and deal on mine and did buy it many, many , many years ago.  So, since the Sundance and the Jacuzzi are both made by the same company, the fact that I've had mine 7+ years now should help give you some confidence on the longevity of their products.

Price-wise, the $9,500 level ($10K less the $500 apple card) seems to be pretty reasonable for today's market.  Could you get them down another $500?  Maybe or maybe not.  IMHO, the good customer service is worth the price they are asking.  Now, when it comes to territory you may have an issue as most dealers won't sell into another dealers territory.  However, some will.  The question then comes down to who will be servicing your unit should anything be needed.  If you buy out of territory and then want or 'expect" the local Sundance dealer to service someone else's spa... you may be in for a shock when they want to charge you a $50 trip charge.  This is reasonable even if you are in their territory as you did not give them the original revenue so you may want to think about that.

I wish I have the blue shell.  VERY nice looking at night...

...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

hailypup20

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »
Thanks for the continued advice...we took the 'plunge' and ordered the Cameo in Twilight (dark blue) with the Coastal (grey) cabinet this weekend.  Have selected a contractor to enlarge our patio and pour 4" rebar reinforced concrete and are having a 240V 60A line installed as well.  We really debated the color, but since we're both big fans of the color blue, the last couple posts swayed us in that direction. 

Couldn't push the cost down below $9,995, but as mentioned, comes with most of the standard amenities and the free premium stereo plus a mail in $500 apple gift card.  So, in some ways, I can probably get $480 for the gift card on Ebay if I decide to go that route, and then the spa will effectively be about $9,500...pretty happy with the deal.

Again, appreciate all the thoughts and comments, and I'm sure I'll be back with some questions when setting things up in about a month...can't wait!

~hailypup20

Jet Sitter

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 04:46:37 pm »
hailypup20 - Good for you for testing that lounger before pulling the trigger.  It sounds like the wet test sealed the deal and you only wondered if you could do better on price and it seems that the price is quite fair for a good dealer who will be around to take care of you.  Also, it was probably a wise move to address that concrete slab.  Well done - enjoy your tub!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 04:46:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42