What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: free chlorine vs. total chlorine  (Read 18838 times)

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
free chlorine vs. total chlorine
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:40:35 pm »
Since I haven't figured out how to use my Taylor test kit yet, I just tested my water with a strip. It measured really high (like 10ppm) total chlorine, but NO free chlorine. What does this mean? Is all my chlorine being used?

I added mps instead of my daily chlorine, but is there something I should be doing?
Ivie

Hot Tub Forum

free chlorine vs. total chlorine
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:40:35 pm »

Spiderman

Re: free chlorine vs. total chlorine
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 05:35:51 pm »
Total chlorine is free chlorine + combined chlorine, so based on your readings you have a combined chlorine of 10PPM so you need to shock your tub.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »
Since I haven't figured out how to use my Taylor test kit yet, I just tested my water with a strip. It measured really high (like 10ppm) total chlorine, but NO free chlorine. What does this mean? Is all my chlorine being used?

I added mps instead of my daily chlorine, but is there something I should be doing?
My guess is that the mps you added is registering as TC on your strip? Either that or there's so much FC present in the water that it's bleaching your strip. When's the last time you added chlorine and mps, and how much?

I can walk you through the Taylor chlorine test if you'd like? What kit did you get?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 05:54:41 pm »
10 ppm combined chlorine is extreme.  I think Chad may be right on.

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:41:13 pm »
I put my regular dose of chlorine in 2 days ago. About a tablespoon for a 500 gal tub. I added the mps AFTER I saw the TC of about 10.

I bought the Taylor k2005, and have not had a chance to really sit w/it and read instructions etc. It's a big book!
Ivie

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:43:41 pm »
Oh, and I have been sick, so I haven't gone in all week, but I still have added dichlor about every 36 hours.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:44:16 pm by searchinginfl »
Ivie

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:01:15 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that you're under the weather, searchinginfl.

What kind of mps do you have and how much do you use in a typical week?

The Taylor chlorine test is really rather simple. You should have 3 reagents labeled  R-0001, R-0002, R-0003. Fill the side of the comparator- marked Cl Br to the fill line with your fill water. Add 5 drops of R-0001 and R-0002. Put the cap on and invert in order for the drops to mix. This takes a few seconds. Turn right side up and record the result as FC. Remove cap and add 5 drops of the R-0003 to the mix. Cap and invert again. Record result as TC.  Subtract the FC from the TC and record as CC. TC - FC = CC.   That's it!   :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:09:03 pm by WHY_NOT »

tinybubbles

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:31:47 am »
It's your MPS.

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 05:00:34 pm »
Actually, i am realizing now, it is my strips!!!! I had 2 kinds of strips, and was using the porpoise strips which measure TC, FC, TA, PH and hardness. I just used the taylor kit (thanks chad!)

I got FC:2.5
TC:4
so my CC is 1.5, right?
Also my PH was below 7, my TA was abt 70, and my cya was between 60 & 70.

Then I used my porpoise strips. It showed TC at about 5 and NO FC!!!!

Then I used aquachek strips which just check free chlorine, ph, ta,and stabilizer. My ph showed about 7, FC about 1.5-2, TA about 75, and stabilizer about 80. I think I will throw out  the porpoise strips. The aquachek was pretty consistent w/the taylor, right?

Tiny, the readings that started this post were from NOT adding mps for at least a week. I added after I got that reading.

So, with the readings the way they are now, assuming I used the Taylor kit correctly, do I just leave well enough alone? I will not go in until tomorrow. Should I add ph up? Last weekend, the pool store analyzed my water and my ph was high, but I did not use ph down. Should I add more dichlor before going in tomorrow?
Ivie

In Canada eh

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 05:14:37 pm »
searchinginfl,

Ivie,  actually with a CC level as high as yours, you should shock your tub.  Since you said your tub is 500 gal,  I would add about 6 tablespoons of MPS and it should clear out the CC.  Your FC is fine where its at, pH and ALK could both come up a little.

Shock first, add MPS and let jets run on full for about a 1/2 hour with your cover open

Add a couple of teaspoons on ALK up and your pH should rise with it.

Wash your filters in about 48 hours after add MPS.

Hope you feel better :)

Bullfrog 451

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 05:19:49 pm »
searchinginfl,

Ivie,  actually with a CC level as high as yours, you should shock your tub.  Since you said your tub is 500 gal,  I would add about 6 tablespoons of MPS and it should clear out the CC.  Your FC is fine where its at, pH and ALK could both come up a little.

Shock first, add MPS and let jets run on full for about a 1/2 hour with your cover open

Add a couple of teaspoons on ALK up and your pH should rise with it.

Wash your filters in about 48 hours after add MPS.

Hope you feel better :)

Are you talking about the 1.5 cc? That's high?
Ivie

In Canada eh

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 05:22:13 pm »

Are you talking about the 1.5 cc? That's high?

Yep,  thats high.  I normally shock when CC reaches about .5
Bullfrog 451

Cyn

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 06:16:56 pm »
I put my regular dose of chlorine in 2 days ago. About a tablespoon for a 500 gal tub. I added the mps AFTER I saw the TC of about 10.

I bought the Taylor k2005, and have not had a chance to really sit w/it and read instructions etc. It's a big book!

1 tablespoon of dichlor is a lot for a 500 gal tub as a regular dose!  

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 06:18:03 pm »
Searchinginfl,

Another option would be to add a 15ppm dose of dichlor instead of the mps shock dose. As much as you use mps it might better for your tub as it seems like you haven't given your tub a superchlorination in awhile(ever?). The only downfall is that you probably won't be able to soak for 24 hrs.

It's always good to raise your FC to a higher than normal level every once in awhile.

*Btw, just to be extra cautious it might be best to retest your levels when your FC gets down around 1 ppm to ensure the most accurate readings. FWIW, I never check any of my levels unless my FC is at or below 1ppm.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:36:17 pm by WHY_NOT »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 06:22:26 pm »

1 tablespoon of dichlor is a lot for a 500 gal tub as a regular dose!  
Not really. One TBS is about a 4ppm dose for 500 gallon tub.

Here's a pretty accurate formula -

Gallons in tub x desired ppm x .000128 / percentage of available chlorine in your dichlor product = amount to add in ounces.

500 x 4 x .000128 / .55 = .47 ounces or just under 1 TBS

3 tsp in a TBS
2 TBS in an ounce
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:34:54 pm by WHY_NOT »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 06:22:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42