What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Off Tub Testing of Heater’s Temperature and High Limit Sensors?  (Read 2559 times)

hamholfarm

Hello,

I need to purchase a new heater for my 2000 Grandee tub. Had a mains power flicker during a snow storm last winter, and for some reason the tub did not come back on with the power. Did not catch it and the heater froze and exploded out one end. I would like to test and keep if good, both the Temperature Sensor and the High Limit Sensor.

Does anyone know if there is a way to test these two sensors while removed from the heater? Maybe using a multi-meter? If so, exactly how would I test them?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chip

Hot Tub Forum

Kev B

Re: Off Tub Testing of Heater’s Temperature and High Limit Sensors?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:53:38 am »
 I have never really had a sensor go bad in a freeze situation and always change out the heater first then the sensors if necessary. (I have spares with me, but have only needed to replace sensors a couple of times in all these years) I do not have the Ohms specs for them but check in with the guys at www.backyardplus.com and you will be pleased with the pro service you get from them.

hamholfarm

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 07:35:16 pm »
Kev,

I went to the site you suggested and opened a "Help" ticket.

Thank you for you reply as I did not know of that website.

I kind of doubt that the sensors are bad. I just figured if one or both were bad, that I would save on shipping costs while
I ordered the new heater. Actually, I have to trace and fix a leak in the plumbing first before ordering the $300 plus heater. If I find too much damage it may be time to retire the tub. Last fall I spent a lot of time and effort tracking a leak on the back side of the tub. At the time it was the only leak. Now that the tub froze, I'm concerned that I will have constant problems with different leaks popping up.

Thanks again for the help!

Chip

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 06:05:26 pm »
put the sensors into 100 degree water - let them set for a few minutes.

Should be around 1,500 ohms. That's from memory, so I could be off a bit. However, it is more important that they both end up very close to the same.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hamholfarm

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 06:34:16 am »
Chas,

Awesome! An easy way to check the sensors!

Thank you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 06:34:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42