What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dimension One Spas sold?  (Read 21116 times)

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Dimension One Spas sold?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 07:41:12 pm »
Well, technically they are north of SD - in Vista, CA to be exact. And they are neighbors - D1 is right next to (and about the same size as) the Employee parking lot for Watkins MFG.

Correct!  Google Maps shows D1 and Watkins to be 0.4 miles apart.

ya they are both on "Hot Tub Row" there is (well used to be) many spa manufacturers located basically on the same block...although Watkins is on its own little island because they are off the grid and create their own power to use in-house (fun little fact that nobody may care about, lol)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 07:41:12 pm »

PrecisionPoolMA

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 08:41:01 pm »
Wow thats big news!

New to the forum guys my name is Jay from Precision Pool in MA

I started my career 12 years ago selling D1 and knew a few of the guys there pretty well.

Did I read something a while back about them getting into other thermo-forming industries?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 10:24:47 am »
Well, I think where there is smoke there is fire...Bob (the owner) is in his upper 60's now and really doesn't need to work. The factory is paid for and profitable unlike many others.... but he also doesn't need to sell.

I think there have been offers made but I'm pretty sure none have been accepted. I know Bob is fiercely loyal to his people and I'm pretty sure any offer would have to include them being taken care of.

I know the latest rumor says that Apollo Group is the contender but I also know that there have been offers from other groups. It wouldn’t be the first time there has been an offer (or rumor) over the last 30+ years and again, he doesn't have to sell which puts him in the "Cat Bird" seat and gives him control to say no, so until I hear from D1 that it's happening I'm going to call it a rumor.

planetary

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 06:45:01 pm »
For anyone else who read this and had no idea what the heck the idiom meant, here's a quote from Wikipedia:

"The catbird seat" is an idiomatic phrase used to describe an enviable position, often in terms of having the upper hand or greater advantage in all types of dealings among parties. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first recorded usage occurred in a 1942 humorous short story by James Thurber titled "The Catbird Seat," which features a character, Mrs. Barrows, who likes to use the phrase. Another character, Joey Hart, explains that Mrs. Barrows must have picked up the expression from Red Barber, a baseball broadcaster, and that to Barber "sitting in the catbird seat" meant "'sitting pretty,' like a batter with three balls and no strikes on him."

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 10:01:47 pm »
What did you just call me planetary?! >:( ;)

fishn4life

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 11:10:49 pm »
I just toured the factory a few days ago (vista) and happened to read this post before, so I asked the question and just got laughs in return.  :D  After laughing they said "who is buying us now?" followed with more laughing.
I'm pretty new to the hot tub scene but I can't tell you how impressed I was with the production line @ D1! This wasn't a planned tour so I was fortunate to be walking around and see not only how the tubs are made, but general attitude of employees, and overall feel. After seeing how the tubs are made from start to finish I was truly blown away at the quality and "love" that goes into making each hot tub. The employees I saw and met seemed genuinely happy and interested in their work.
Another cool thing about D1 is they have taken several ideas from their employees and integrated them into their hot tubs.
What a concept - American built product, happy employees, detail in workmanship, and a customer base that enjoys the product (from what I can tell from the internet   :)  )
Anyways, long 1st post and dont want to get off topic, but unless there is a super secret buyout, D1 is still D1....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 10:52:05 am »
I have heard industry insiders saying otherwise.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 10:58:30 am »
I just toured the factory a few days ago (vista) and happened to read this post before, so I asked the question and just got laughs in return.  :D  After laughing they said "who is buying us now?" followed with more laughing.

OK but did they follow up that "who's buying us now" response with a clear "No, we are not being sold"?

Did they maybe use some diversion and never really deny the "rumor" or did they flat out deny it?

fishn4life

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 12:00:02 pm »
I just posted my D1 purchase in another thread....
To answer you question they did deny it. I realize I am just one consumer and a "peon" at that, but I did speak with factory workers and CEO types, and all confirmed that not only has nobody bought them, but they are going strong.
Again, if you have an inside scoop, more power to you. Just passing along what I was told  :D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:30 pm »
I just posted my D1 purchase in another thread....
To answer you question they did deny it. I realize I am just one consumer and a "peon" at that, but I did speak with factory workers and CEO types, and all confirmed that not only has nobody bought them, but they are going strong.
Again, if you have an inside scoop, more power to you. Just passing along what I was told  :D

Maybe the sale just hasn't gone through yet meaning nobody would have been lying but it shouldn't matter to you either way. If/when Jacuzzi buys them you'll still be fine whether they keep them separate or combine them with their plant which is in the same general area.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

mjb

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:10 pm »
This just in from a Spa Industry publication.
Dimension One Spas is purchased by
Jacuzzi Group Worldwide.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 08:20:03 pm »
BREAKING NEWS
Dimension One Spas Acquired by Jacuzzi Group
Manufacturers of Jacuzzi Hot Tubs, Sundance Spas and Thermospas Hot Tub Products

[]

Chino, Calif—February 6, 2013— Jacuzzi Group Worldwide, parent company of Jacuzzi Hot Tubs, Sundance Spas and ThermoSpas Hot Tub Products, announces today that it has acquired the Dimension One Spas business.  Dimension One is a premium manufacturer and seller of hot tubs and swim spas, which began operations in 1977.

We are very pleased to welcome Dimension One employees, dealers, suppliers and spa owners to the Jacuzzi Group family, said Bob Rowan, president of Jacuzzi North America.  Dimension One founder Bob Hallam has built a great brand known for premium products, distinct designs, and innovative features making Dimension One a great fit with the Jacuzzi Group.  I am also excited about the exceptional talent within the Dimension One team and anticipate a strong future.

President Bob Hallam founded Dimension One, based in Vista, California, in 1977.  I am excited about the opportunities the Jacuzzi Group ownership means for the entire Dimension One family, said Hallam.  The combined strength of Dimension One Spas and the Jacuzzi Group will enable greater growth for the Dimension One business and Dimension One dealers.   

Dimension One Spas will continue to operate as a separate business unit with most existing operations remaining at the current site in Vista, CA.

About the Jacuzzi Group Worldwide
Jacuzzi Group Worldwide is a leading global producer of branded hot tub and bath products for residential, commercial and institutional markets.  Its products include hot tubs, whirlpool baths, air baths, soaking baths, showers, sink and toilet suites and are marketed under a widely recognized portfolio of famous brand names, including JACUZZI®, SUNDANCE® and THERMOSPAS®.  For more information, visit www.jacuzzi.com or call (866) 234-7727
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

fishn4life

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 11:34:29 pm »
Guess I just had my Jacuzzi Meridian delivered today...   ;D

Wonder If I qualify for the Jacuzzi rebate???

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 11:57:48 pm »
What took so long, we talked about this was coming weeks ago right here lol. When this came up my questions were 1) would they move it all down to Mexico where Jacuzzi/Sundance spas are made but apparently not or at least not for awhile or maybe because of space and 2) was this more about getting swim spas available for the Jac/Sun dealers or was this really about getting the D1 spa brand & its dealers.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 11:26:42 am »
What took so long, we talked about this was coming weeks ago right here lol. When this came up my questions were 1) would they move it all down to Mexico where Jacuzzi/Sundance spas are made but apparently not or at least not for awhile or maybe because of space and 2) was this more about getting swim spas available for the Jac/Sun dealers or was this really about getting the D1 spa brand & its dealers.

#2 is what I thought of right away, but then idk that it makes sense to buy an entire company just for a few swim spa models, otherwise they share very similar price points so not sure what they plan on doing...just have to wait and see I guess

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 11:26:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42