What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thinking Out Loud  (Read 19357 times)

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Re: Thinking Out Loud
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2006, 09:31:41 pm »
"Hey guys... what's that sign mean on the door?"
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2006, 09:31:41 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2006, 11:06:22 am »

I have no idea what keywords were used to find this pic.

Terminator

tall redheaded texas chick in bondage.....

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2006, 07:32:00 pm »
Wow I havent been on the board in a couple of days. Steve and windsurf dog: I can't believe how rude and sarcastic you are being.

I'll tell ya after I see it. That hasn't happened yet.

So, ehizzle, have you decided to change the topic completely by comparing insulated spas and uninsulated spas?  Or are you referring to ff as insulated and tp as uninsulated?  You need to get a grip, dude.

I don't see why anything I said should have offended you or riled you up so much.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2007, 12:49:48 pm »

Why then, on some manufacturer's that offer both, is the full foam package considered to be an upgrade and more money is charged for this service?  What am I missing?  I'm still trying to learn more about this business.

Terminator

I believe Vita Spas also has the option to go full foam or thermopane. If my memory serves me correct, the thermopane was standard and the full foam was the upgrade. It could be vice/versa but either way I know they offer both.

Tom

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2007, 06:05:56 pm »
Neat picture. I have an infared on a particular brand of spa ... rhymes with Farctic...
Steve

Arctic, Farctic.    :D  

Insulation done right, and don't call us thermopane!!

I can't believe that this beastie has been around all this time and I haven't taken a whack at it.  But it's not often I have a chance to skim through six pages of posts.  Made for a fun read. <sigh> There goes another coffee break...

Happy New Year, all.

Tom

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2007, 03:42:02 pm »
Not sure anyone will respond to this thread now but I was searching for insulation and found this.
My question is:  Should you use additional insulation on the bottom of a tub.  Mine is sitting on a deck about 5 feet in the air and it is pretty windy here.  On a cold day if I feel the decking below the tub it is warmer than the rest.  
I am thinking of getting that solid pink foam and putting it under the deck bettween the stringers where the tub sits.  Obivously using a little grade to allow for any drainage etc.
Sound reasonable?  Wouldn't cost much.....
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2007, 04:39:58 pm »
Clever idea.......couldn't hurt to try. 8-)

Mez

« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2007, 09:42:44 pm »
I agree ...heat rises but you do lose heat from the sides as well..great analagy with the house :)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2007, 10:32:20 am »
Heat doesn't rise.  Heat travels from warmer to cooler.  In any direction.
Warm air does rise in relation to cooler air.

Heat will transfer to whatever surface it is in contact with that is cooler.

Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2007, 11:16:47 am »
Not sure anyone will respond to this thread now but I was searching for insulation and found this.
My question is:  Should you use additional insulation on the bottom of a tub.  Mine is sitting on a deck about 5 feet in the air and it is pretty windy here.  On a cold day if I feel the decking below the tub it is warmer than the rest.  
I am thinking of getting that solid pink foam and putting it under the deck bettween the stringers where the tub sits.  Obivously using a little grade to allow for any drainage etc.
Sound reasonable?  Wouldn't cost much.....

Anyone in a snow region nows that briges and overpass freeze first, because the cold air can circulate around it.
So having insualtion on the bottom of the tub if it's on a deck sounds like it could make a difference, but  I wonder, since the tub sits on the deck (and the tub is transfering heat to the deck, and it's the deck that's heating the air underneath the deck, adding a few strips of foam might help a bit, but how much?  The foam wont stop the tub from  transfering heat to the deck... but will slow the deck  radiating heat to air. (or at least the part that is foamed)    ?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:21:11 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2007, 01:30:21 pm »
Anything that blocks or slows heat transfer will allow the spa water to stay that much warmer that much longer, so anything like that should help at least somewhat.
 By how much, is hard to know.  I'd think a spa on a deck, with plenty of cold air underneath to aid convection would loose more heat than sitting on a slab.  In turn I'd suspect that one of those foam spa pads might be better than concrete in this regard.
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »
insulating the sides of the deck so that wind cannot get under it, might also help.
07 Caldera Geneva

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2007, 05:44:59 pm »
I did it, I made it through all 6 pages...do I get a piece of cheese (other than the great information)? :)

Tom

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2007, 06:05:51 pm »

Anyone in a snow region nows that briges and overpass freeze first, because the cold air can circulate around it.
So having insualtion on the bottom of the tub if it's on a deck sounds like it could make a difference, but  I wonder, since the tub sits on the deck (and the tub is transfering heat to the deck, and it's the deck that's heating the air underneath the deck, adding a few strips of foam might help a bit, but how much?  The foam wont stop the tub from  transfering heat to the deck... but will slow the deck  radiating heat to air. (or at least the part that is foamed)    ?

Some years ago I took a winter camping course.  The instructor, Mountain Rescue expert Kurt Seele of Waterton Park, advised that if you are camping on ice, snow, or frozen ground, you need three layers under you for each layer over you, because the cold earth is a giant heat sink.

This is why Arctic, designing their product for cold climates, puts a solid fiberglass floor and 3" of insulation under their tubs.

IMO you are on the right track, Drewstar.   Even insulation attached to the underside of the deck below the tub would be a help.

Tom

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2007, 06:16:55 pm »
I did it, I made it through all 6 pages...do I get a piece of cheese (other than the great information)? :)

No, but if you think you're tough, and if you're really incredibly bored, some topics go on to over 60 pages!   Look in  Beating a Dead Horse...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 06:18:33 pm by Graybeard »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2007, 06:16:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42