What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Prodigy vs. Jacuzzi J-325  (Read 40132 times)

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: Hot Springs Prodigy vs. Jacuzzi J-325
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2007, 10:26:31 am »
One thing to consider is you can run the Prodigy on 110v.  Saves you money.

Possibly can save money on the installation but it will have no affect on operating cost.

I am sure that is what you meant, but not all would understand.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2007, 10:26:31 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2007, 10:30:24 am »

Possibly can save money on the installation but it will have no affect on operating cost.

I am sure that is what you meant, but not all would understand.

Thanks for clarifying. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

guyplayeur

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2007, 10:41:51 am »
I'm limited to a small tub simply because the space it's going in is just too small to fit anything bigger without completely overwhelming the yard.

Also, whoever built this house was clearly thinking hot tub at some point because there's what appears to be a 220V outlet already in place back there.  Or is it 230V or 240V?  If anyone can explain the difference to me I'd appreciate that.  I see that higher voltage outlet referred to differently depending on who's printing it.

I chose Hot Springs and Jacuzzi simply because they seem to be the most reliable/dependable/solid brands.   I'm looking for as much bells and whistles, warranty, and reliability I can get in a 7x6 tub.  If there are other brands out there that aren't going to give me problems, I'm all for it.

EDIT:  I looked at Beachcombers just now.  Nearest dealer is about 90 minutes away.  Too far for me.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 01:27:03 pm by guyplayeur »

Micah

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2007, 01:28:27 pm »
I doubt he ment "heaters" but rather the pumps.

The FF tubs are quieter.   That's not to say the TP tubs are unbearably noisely,  but it's  a slight difference and advantage to the FF.  If the tub was going on a deck, I'd put a little more stock in the FF to dampen the sound and viabration than TP.  
Drewster, Both jacuzzi and H.S. are FF.  I think the noise coment came from a salesman pushing one brand of spas. From what I can tell both Jacuzzi and H. S. use a "Laing Style" circ pump and both are totaly silent while heating.  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 01:36:04 pm by Micah »
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

guyplayeur

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2007, 03:57:52 pm »
Sorry, but what do TP and FF stand for?  

As I understand it, the Jacuzzis have some pumps that do something for a recommended 20 minutes, 4 times a day.  Not sure if it's heating or cleaning or what's going on during those cycles, but that process was definitely not silent.  

I was told the timing of those cycles could be customized so as not to interfere with sleeping times (the tub will be right outside an open window to my bedroom, so noise is a concern), but I'm sure it's more ideal for tub maintenance to spread those cycles out evenly.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2007, 04:18:28 pm »
Sorry, but what do TP and FF stand for?  

As I understand it, the Jacuzzis have some pumps that do something for a recommended 20 minutes, 4 times a day.  Not sure if it's heating or cleaning or what's going on during those cycles, but that process was definitely not silent.  

I was told the timing of those cycles could be customized so as not to interfere with sleeping times (the tub will be right outside an open window to my bedroom, so noise is a concern), but I'm sure it's more ideal for tub maintenance to spread those cycles out evenly.

TP is Thermal Pane, a method of insulating which blows foam on the shell and cabinet and relies on dead air space to insulate.

FF is full foam, where the entire cavity between the shell and the cabinet are filled with insulation.

You can search and find the continuing debate of FF vs TP.

Hot Spring, in fact, uses multiple layers of closed cell foam to totally insulate, creating an average R rating of 40.

The Jacuzzi running 4 times a day is a circulation/filtration function, not heating.

Micah

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2007, 04:38:35 pm »
The Jacuzzi can be programed to run "up to" 4 times a day but comes programed to run twice a day for 30 minutes.  This is for "extra" filtration on top of the silent pump that filters 15,000 gallons per day.  You can set what times you want to run the extra filteration (usualy while you are at work). Perhaps a H.S. guy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive that H.S. uses the same principle for its filteration. (circ pump all day with a jet pump for extra)If so the noise will be the same on both units.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

guyplayeur

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2007, 04:38:42 pm »
Oh, boy.  There you go, dropping another acronym on me :o  What's an R rating?

guyplayeur

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2007, 04:58:47 pm »
One more:  I just found out a friend nearby bought a J-325 in 2005 from the same dealer I'm shopping at for $4795 + $800 for all the standard accessories (cover, lifter, ozone, chemicals).  
Basically $1,700 less than I was offered last week.  Anyone know how significantly the J-325 model specs changed in the last two years to justify the increase?  Or should I haggle the price down some more if I go for that Jacuzzi?  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2007, 05:01:27 pm »
Oh, boy.  There you go, dropping another acronym on me :o  What's an R rating?

Here is a definition from the web:

"A designation for the determining the insulation capabilities of different types of building materials and insulation materials. Standard R Factors for mobile offices in insulation would be R-11 or R-19 in the ceiling and floor, R-11 in the sidewalls"

Maybe someone else can help here.

For Micah, Hot Spring does not have or need extra filtration cycles.

104 degrees

« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2007, 05:24:00 pm »

For Micah, Hot Spring does not have or need extra filtration cycles.

Do you know why they need less??

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2007, 05:39:33 pm »
 In the J-300 series you can zero out the filtration with the programing by setting it  to F0 that will do 1  5 minute blow out cycle every 24 hours no big deal anytime pump 1 is running it is filtering as well as the circ pump.

Or you can set it to F1 which is 1 hour per day or 1  30 min cycle of filtration every 12 hours once again no big deal.

In the 400 series all that is really needed is the high flo circ pump to filter and nothing else as far as filtration modes go.

Mez

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2007, 10:28:13 pm »
One more:  I just found out a friend nearby bought a J-325 in 2005 from the same dealer I'm shopping at for $4795 + $800 for all the standard accessories (cover, lifter, ozone, chemicals).  
Basically $1,700 less than I was offered last week.  Anyone know how significantly the J-325 model specs changed in the last two years to justify the increase?  Or should I haggle the price down some more if I go for that Jacuzzi?  

If you can squeeze in an extra 8 inches...84X84 is the J-345...the J-325 is 76X84....I would reccomend you take a good look at the J-345. That extra 8 inches doesnt seem like much but it is. The difference between the "05 and the "07 models are manly bells and whistles, new LED lighting, lighted cup holders, lighted headrests, but it also has an improved design on the filter shield. If I do my math correctly, you were offered an "07 325 for $7295 with delivery, chems, cover, lifter and ozone..is that correct? If so, here in Cincinnati, I ordered an "07 J-345 with chems, cover, lifter, steps, ozone, lifter and delivery for $6,495. List price was $7995 minus $1000 for the new model introduction sale and I negotiated another $500 off that. Total with sales tax was just shy of $7000.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2007, 10:07:18 am »

Do you know why they need less??

HotSpring spas utilize a no bypass filtration system.  The theory is filtration is handled by the circ pump and the jet pumps while they are on if someone is using the spa.  All pumps have a filter on them, thus the term no bypass.  For extra filtration when needed, there is a "clean button" that runs one of the main pumps for ten minutes.

Jacuzzi filters with its circ pump and one of the therapy pumps running at programmed intervals.  When the therapy pumps are run on high, the filter is "bypassed" to give optimal water volume to all the jets.

Both filtration systems work well.  The HotSpring spas use more filters...something to consider because filters need to be cleaned on a regular basis.

104 degrees

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2007, 04:34:54 pm »

HotSpring spas utilize a no bypass filtration system.  The theory is filtration is handled by the circ pump and the jet pumps while they are on if someone is using the spa.  All pumps have a filter on them, thus the term no bypass.  For extra filtration when needed, there is a "clean button" that runs one of the main pumps for ten minutes.

Jacuzzi filters with its circ pump and one of the therapy pumps running at programmed intervals.  When the therapy pumps are run on high, the filter is "bypassed" to give optimal water volume to all the jets.

Both filtration systems work well.  The HotSpring spas use more filters...something to consider because filters need to be cleaned on a regular basis.

Thank you tony :) You learn everyday :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2007, 04:34:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42