What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just back frm Class  (Read 38846 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Just back frm Class
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 06:23:52 pm »
Crud, I thought we really did use velcro.  We should.

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 06:23:52 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 06:32:10 pm »
Crud, I thought we really did use velcro.  We should.

Term
One lovely summer day in 1948, a Swiss amateur-mountaineer and inventor decided to take his dog for a nature hike. The man and his faithful companion both returned home covered with burrs, the plant seed-sacs that cling to animal fur in order to travel to fertile new planting grounds. The man neglected his matted dog, and with a burning curiosity ran to his microscope and inspected one of the many burrs stuck to his pants. He saw all the small hooks that enabled the seed-bearing burr to cling so viciously to the tiny loops in the fabric of his pants. George de Mestral raised his head from the microscope and smiled thinking, "I will design a unique, two-sided fastener, one side with stiff hooks like the burrs and the other side with soft loops like the fabric of my pants. I will call my invention 'velcro' a combination of the word velour and crochet. It will rival the zipper in its ability to fasten."

Mestral's idea met with resistance and even laughter, but the inventor 'stuck' by his invention. Together with a weaver from a textile plant in France, Mestal perfected his hook and loop fastener. By trial and error, he realized that nylon when sewn under infrared light, formed tough hooks for the burr side of the fastener. This finished the design, patented in 1955. The inventor formed Velcro Industries to manufacture his invention. Mestral was selling over sixty million yards of Velcro per year. Today it is a multi-million dollar industry.

Not bad for an invention based on Mother Nature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 06:35:51 pm »
I used to have some parachute pants with a Velcro fly.  I loved those pants, 'cept they were noisy when I used to be able to get love when I had hair and a Delorean.  I had shoes with Velcro, too.  I was really cool then.  It was years ago.

Terminator

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 06:50:10 pm »
I used to have some parachute pants with a Velcro fly.  I loved those pants, 'cept they were noisy when I used to be able to get love when I had hair and a Delorean.  

If you're all alone what does it matter if they're noisy?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 06:57:09 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 07:08:46 pm »
Bonni, just know this you are not going to get 160 gallons of water per minute that is concentrated to target one body area for deep therapy from anyone other than Marquis. I mean no one else is even close.

Umm  without starting some kind of war here!! I call BS.   And I dont have to talk Jacuzzi here either.    

I should add, I dont want chit on your post or start an argument with you about this!! But to say no one is even close or in my opinion  more than that would not be right.

Glad you had a nice time at your training,and hope you sell many spas this year.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:24:10 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 07:54:29 pm »

Umm  without starting some kind of war here!! I call BS.   And I dont have to talk Jacuzzi here either.
Jim,

on this is based on what exactly. What statement is called BS. Marquis has a patten-ed jet called an Hk-40,  they have a flow rate of up to forty gallons of water per minute, the pump used is rated at 160 gallons of water per minute they cluster these in groups of 4 and you can than divert all the flow from the one pump to those jets.

Jim,

Can you tell me the flow rate for the Jacuzzi jets, I am am not looking for an argument either but anyone with the ability to do simple math can figure out that if your pump is putting out x gallons of water per minute and you are putting though x number of jets than you are only going to be able to get x number of gallons per minute to those jets. Marquis has the only 3 way value in the industry and this is what allows them to isolate therapy and direct it in the way they do.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:00:25 pm by Mendocino101 »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 08:04:02 pm »
I am not saying your spa does not do that I am sure it does thats fine no problem.

But to say no one I mean no one is even close c'mon.  If you buy that then there is some land in east Texas I want to sell you.

I will leave it at that.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 08:09:19 pm »
I am not saying your spa does not do that I am sure it does thats fine no problem.

But to say no one I mean no one is even close c'mon.  If you buy that then there is some land in east Texas I want to sell you.

I will leave it at that.
lol  Jim,

I appreciate the offer for land as I am always looking for a good deal, but it just comes down to the philosophy of the maker and what they want to accomplish in their spas. I am not going to back away from my statement, as I believe it is  accurate. And all the Best to you this year all well.

Just one more thing I hope who ever is reading this thread will look back about how it was started and why. I only posted because of another thread and spa ratings and in my first post I said that most consumers would be happy with any of the spas if they had them in their yard.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:47:16 pm by Mendocino101 »

anne

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 08:17:39 pm »
Well, now you guys have me curious- Mendo, if you say that nobody else is close, then that means you know the flow rates of the competition.

Not trying to stir anything up here, but can any dealers say what amount of water flows to a given therapy area? For example, in my arctic, if I sit in seat "1" with everything diverted to that seat, on high, then all of pump # 1 is hitting my back except for the amount coming out with the ozone. I have no idea how much water that is, but it'd be nice to know. Pump #2 with all of it's power diverted to seat "2" has less "feel" of power than #1, and probably less flow rate, but I have no idea how many gallon per minute. I would not want seat 1 any stronger, but I'd take a little more flow from 2 if it could be made that way. But I'd like numbers!
Dance like nobody's watching

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 08:27:43 pm »
Mendo,
I'm glad you got to go to class and get some...well....CLASS!

Your new cell phone sucks! That’s like the 3rd time it's cut me off...um I think it's the cell phone...? :-? You messin' with me Mendo?!?! >:(

I would have loved to been there and I'm sure there were a few jabs thrown about me not making it but I just couldn't get away.

Not only does Marquis do a wet test openly with their dealers on many major brands knowing that they are going to be judged accordingly (think about it, what it the dealer like the competition better?) but they also put those spas through many tests along side the Marquis to make sure we stand up next to any of them.

I remember a few years ago before we had our cold test room at the factory they rented a refrigerated truck and put heat sensors on several brands along side the Marquis to see how we were with heat loss compared to others. We did well but wanted to do more so they came up with several options out of which came the low-E wrap.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 08:28:52 pm »
Anne,

Flow rates on pumps that are used in spas can only do so much as they are all subject to the use of for the most part 50 or in a few cases 60 amps electrical draw, so for the most part they will be fairly close, there are other factors that come into to play but they are going to be close, again for the most part. You can get close by just breaking down the jet count and whats running at one time. But the bigger point of the message was that Marquis chooses to get therapy in their spas in this way, it does come at a cost and that is not running all jets in the spa at one time. But if you want mimic a masseuse and that is to work mussel groups one at a time than this is a great way to go, some may prefer to have all jets running at once but the cost for that is flow rate and the more jets you run at once the smaller the jets have to be to create pressure.

Anne,

one more thing and I think this is why some who are involved with other makers have hard time believing this is that they are not familiar with a 3 way diverter valve. This is what allows Marquis to isolate therapy in the way they do, other makers only have 2 way valves and simply would not be able to move water in this way. Marquis took the position that most of the time a spa is used by 1 or 2 people and wanted to maximize the soaking experience for that use. but when you have more people in the spa each and every seat can have jets running but not the isolating hk 40 jets and that is what makes them different.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:37:57 pm by Mendocino101 »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 10:32:03 pm »
101, sounds like you had a great time. I think it's a great idea to become familiar with your competition. I don't know how you could sell spas without being familiar with the technology from other brands. Thanks for keeping us informed. Marquis seems like a great company.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 11:04:27 pm »
There's some replies I just gotta laugh at. ::)

Welcome back Mendo!

I'm curious JJ... who does put out a close amount of GPM? I'm confident saying that ours doesn't and I'm OK with that and can accept it. Call BS if you want but at least come back with some intelligence to back that up... ::)

Gaining that experince of a side by side comparison is very powerful and is far better than just sitting around drinking "Kool-Aide" for 3 days  ;) .... Good on Marquis!

Steve
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:05:42 pm by Steve »

MarKee

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2007, 01:12:27 am »
This training event was the best I've ever been to.  Marquis purchased a HotSpring, Jacuzzi, Sundance, and Master for its dealers to try out.  I thought it was a pretty ballsy move.  It was nice to actually try these spas out that I've been selling against for so long.  Of course I liked the Epic more than anything, but out of the 4 others I liked the HotSpring the best.  As far as product quality, there were 3 with fairly good quality and one was pretty poor, not hard to guess which one!  We also got to go on a tour at the factory and saw some new spas/colors options that are about to come out.  I'm excited!  All in all it was a good event, even the food/beer was good.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 01:17:46 am by Hideaway_King »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2007, 01:12:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42