What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ice...  (Read 3119 times)

glastron

• no one doesnt like spatopia
ice...
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:08:54 am »
Hello all,just wundering if it is normal for the cover to "freeze"onto the shell and or a layer of very thin ice between the cover and shell?I can only see heat leakage from the middle which is to be expected and thats only when the pump is on and cover on also.I dunno if its a good thing or not.Its a small tub 2006 marquis 315 standard cover.

Hot Tub Forum

ice...
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:08:54 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: ice...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:24:04 am »
Hello all,just wundering if it is normal for the cover to "freeze"onto the shell and or a layer of very thin ice between the cover and shell?I can only see heat leakage from the middle which is to be expected and thats only when the pump is on and cover on also.I dunno if its a good thing or not.Its a small tub 2006 marquis 315 standard cover.

Glastron,

I haven't had that happen to me before. It sounds like your cover might not be fully secured.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 12:24:29 am by WHY_NOT »

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 10:57:39 am »
Mine does that, but I do not fasten the locks on the cover.  I just broke that ice seal this morning to test the water--hopefully it will melt and re-freeze.  

I don't want that ice to keep the cover propped--I'd like to think that it helps seal it!

Really, if you have a rounded tub edge, how can a flat cover totally seal it??  I am thinking that the cover would have to be specially molded to the edge for that to happen.
2005 HS Vanguard

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 01:32:12 pm »
When it gets windy out the cover can lift just enough to cause some ice to form especially when it is really cold outside.  Even with the cover strapped it can lift enough to cause this problem.
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 10:32:26 pm »
My Epic is having the same issues.  I don't fasten the locks on my cover, and it's in a protected corner, so the wind isn't really an issue.  For the last week or so I've noticed that I can see steam.  Granted, it's been in the below 0's, but I've never had this issue in past  2 winters.  This year I have THICK icecicles building up at the corners.  I even went out to make sure the cover wasn't on crooked.  I don't know what's going on.  I tried knocking off the ice to make sure the cover would sit flat, but I still see the steam.  I guess my electric bill will be a high one this time  :'(.  
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:46:52 am »
I'm amazed at how many people this happens too. I guess I should feel very fortunate. Maybe it's just the cover Jacuzzi gave me, but I never see any steam coming out of the cover until I open it. I'm not saying there isn't any escaping, just that it's not enough to be visible for me. I'll take a look today and see what kind it is. Maybe ya'll will have better luck with one of mine. :D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 08:49:06 am »
Mine only has that issue when I am soaking in real cold temps. The mist on the lip of the tub freezes before I even get out of the tub
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spiderman

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 10:22:22 am »
Mine only has that issue when I am soaking in real cold temps. The mist on the lip of the tub freezes before I even get out of the tub

Mine is the same way.  I've really noticed it now that it's -18F overnight.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

NDfar

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 04:48:15 pm »
Saturday we went out to soak at -11 with just stocking hats on, and it was great!!  But now I too see the steam coming out at the cover seam that I never saw before in the past.  I tried cleaning the ice off and pushed the two halves together tighter but it kept on puffing out steam.. Oh well  :) :-/

glastron

• no one doesnt like spatopia
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 06:58:50 pm »
well truth be told nobody told me it was airtight,if it was it would probably be a hassle to remove,OH by the way last kid living at home is 22 makes a good living no rent so we told him he is gonna have to pay electric bill from now on LOL he's still getting a really good deal though eh.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »
last kid living at home is 22,... is gonna have to pay electric bill from now on LOL he's still getting a really good deal though eh.

But be prepared: he may run around turning off lights, setting the thermostat lower and trying to be sure the dishwasher is completely full befor running it.

It is quite a shock to see this amazing transformation happen, so just be prepared.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42