What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need to vent about my spa  (Read 7201 times)

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
Need to vent about my spa
« on: January 26, 2007, 08:04:19 pm »
We own a 2005 Hot Springs (Vanguard) Spa.

I'm the kind of guy that will pay extra for a quality product and I really enjoy maintaining everything I own. I've been very disappointed with the reliability/quality of this brand new spa. It was purchased new on October of 2005. These are the defective parts replaced so far...2 control panels (in the tub), 1 front control panel, 1 main control circuit board. This spa was turning on and off all by itself for who-knows how long. Also the side panels are increasingly getting warped at the corners (yet to be replaced), so much so that a mouse could crawl inside, and the filter door doesn't go downward unless I manually force it. Good thing there's a 5-year warranty. We love it and use it daily but dislike how disappointing it has been in terms of quality.  

Hot Tub Forum

Need to vent about my spa
« on: January 26, 2007, 08:04:19 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Need to vent about my spa
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 08:24:34 pm »
Bummer.  :-[  Hopefully all will be resolved shortly and you get years of use.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:51:13 pm »
Seems like your dealer is taking care of you at least. I have an Envoy of the same year and haven't had any major problems. I hope all the bugs have been worked out. Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 10:53:03 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

69ghia

• to the tub...lets go
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 01:29:07 am »
We own a 2005 Hot Springs (Vanguard) Spa.

I'm the kind of guy that will pay extra for a quality product and I really enjoy maintaining everything I own. I've been very disappointed with the reliability/quality of this brand new spa. It was purchased new on October of 2005. These are the defective parts replaced so far...2 control panels (in the tub), 1 front control panel, 1 main control circuit board. This spa was turning on and off all by itself for who-knows how long. Also the side panels are increasingly getting warped at the corners (yet to be replaced), so much so that a mouse could crawl inside, and the filter door doesn't go downward unless I manually force it. Good thing there's a 5-year warranty. We love it and use it daily but dislike how disappointing it has been in terms of quality.  
When I spoke to my local Hot Spring dealer, he had told me that they had past problems with the control panel, because they were using fiber optics that would turn on or off the tub if a plane flew by or any interference. I was still debating on Vanguard or the Jacuzzi J470. From this post, the scale is tipping towards the Jacuzzi.
Do you have pictures of your tub?

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 08:27:48 pm »
When I spoke to my local Hot Spring dealer, he had told me that they had past problems with the control panel, because they were using fiber optics that would turn on or off the tub if a plane flew by or any interference. I was still debating on Vanguard or the Jacuzzi J470. From this post, the scale is tipping towards the Jacuzzi.
Do you have pictures of your tub?

I think you dealer was messing with you.  Fiber optics cannot get interference from a plane flying by.  It's light going through a closed fiber.  One of the great strengths of fiber optics is it's immunity to interference:

"Another advantage of optical fibers is their dielectric nature. Since optical fiber has no metallic components, it can be installed in areas with electromagnetic interference (EMI), including radio frequency interference (RFI). Areas with high EMI include utility lines, power-carrying lines, and railroad tracks. All-dielectric cables are also ideal for areas of high lightning-strike incidence."

(from http://www.corningcablesystems.com/web/college/fibertutorial.nsf/introfro?OpenForm )

As far as this thread goes, I'm on my 3rd in-tub control panel, and I just bought my tub in August 2006.  HS definitely has a problem there.

-geekd

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 10:37:35 pm »
From what I've heard, the aux problem has been solved. Look for the blue label version (according to Sir Chas). Mine was replaced a few months ago--so far so good.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 02:06:49 am by Gomboman »

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 11:27:29 pm »
From what I've heard, the aux problem has been solved. Look for the blue label version (according to Sir Chas). Mine was replace a few months ago--so far so good.

Gomboman:  I keep hearing about the "blue label" version.  What do you mean by that.  Are you talking about the color of the faceplate you see on the panel in the tub? Or is this something you can only see before installation.  What color are the defective panels?  I took delivery of my Envoy in October, and no problems yet, but I am curious about this.

Thanks, Rich

BTW, have you had any trouble with the wrist jets on your corner seat?  Mine seem to stick.....they don't spin like they should.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 02:01:36 am »
Rich, I believe the sticker is on the inside of the panel. Chas will probably chime in about the different color stickers. I'm sure yours is good because you have a newer spa. I've never had any problems with the wrist jets. I would call the dealer. Good luck.

Jack_L

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 08:02:06 am »
I guess I should knock on wood.  Our 2006 Vanguard was purchased in March and so far no problems!  

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 10:46:31 am »
I do not care what the product is or who the manufacturer is there will always be some issues.

The differences are that the better manufactures will have less overtime and they tend to try to fix whatever this issue is faster.

Marquis
Hot Springs
D-1
Sundance

are all good manufactures (no order I am only making an example) but things happened and some will break down.

Top manufactures builds 100 spas and 3 of those have some issues.
Low end manufacturers builds 100 spas and 25 of those have issues.

So not matter what you buy there is a chance you will have some issues, but with the better manufactures you chances are much less.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 11:14:05 am »
Fiber optic has been gone for many years.

The Aux panels with the blue label on the back seem to be doing the job. Yes, HS has had a high failure rate on the Aux panels. They know about it, and are working with the vendor. I think stun guns and large guys with names like 'knuckles' are involved.

And yes, being a large company tyring to protect a reputation for good customer care, they tend to go above and beyond to take care of problems when they come up.

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Richs100

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 11:46:50 am »
We own a 2005 Hot Springs (Vanguard) Spa.....
........Also the side panels are increasingly getting warped at the corners (yet to be replaced), so much so that a mouse could crawl inside.....

Markus:
    Because my first tub had a real redwood skirt, I was initially worried about the synthetic skirt on the new tubs.  But I think it looks and fits pretty good.  In fact, I have been frustrated with the tight fit of the panels when trying to run low voltage lighting wiring around the outside of the tub.  There is no room to hide the wiring and I finally had to run it around the base of the tub instead.
    What kind of problems are you having with your side panels?
Rich

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 10:27:46 pm »
I noticed that the side panel corners aren't staying locked in their place. They are warping outwards from 3 of the bottom corners and one of my side panels has an almost complete crack all the way through the middle of it (from top to bottom).

It all started the day they installed it and one of the installers connected my external LED's in the wrong connector and damaged the main control board.

I would still by another HS spa but I have had really shitty luck with this one.

Richs100

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 11:50:31 pm »
Markus:  
I am so sorry to hear that.  I would hate to have such problems with my tub.  I hope your dealer is in there trying to get it right.  Yes?  If not, be a pain in the butt until it's right.  There is no reason why a Hot Spring should be giving you grief like this.  I hope it works out for you soon.
Rich

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 11:50:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42