What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HELP,, Heater has stopped working  (Read 5707 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: HELP,, Heater has stopped working
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 10:21:10 am »
Before you panic too much, go out and turn on the jets. All of them. They will shut off in about two hours by themselves, but in that time they should raise the temperature by several degrees.

You didn't mention what the temperature of the water is now - but if the heater is not working STOP lifting the lid. Fasten it down and check the temp by the finding out at what temp the green "ready" light comes on.

You may have nothing to worry about - most HS tubs will easily stay in the 90's with nothing more than the circ pump running. A bit lower in freezing conditions, but nowhere near the danger zone.

To know if your circ pump in running, look for ozone bubbles coming from the bottom fitting of the tub, or if you don't have an ozone system, look for a gentle disturbance of the water's surface with all jets off. Did you see any of that when you were in the tub on the 4th?

If it's still circulating, you should be fine.

Send an email to the dealer. I'm sure you are worried, but relax - these things happen. Let the dealer know you are concerned, in writing, and they will do what they can.

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 10:21:10 am »

tvaughan

• Hot Springs Grandee Owner
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 11:55:13 am »
 :) Dealer called this morning..  They are on their way here right now..

Says it will be fixed today before he leaves.  So far it looks like the circulation pump has kept the tub from freezing up.  I'm thinking maybe they were just swamped. I'll talk to the tech about it when he gets to the house.  

Yes... we've been very happy with the tub so far.  This is the first problem.

Maybe I was just in a panic due to the weather and thinking that the tub might freeze.   Still don't understand why they said they needed water in the tub to fix the heater though.   Seems like it would have been safer to leave the tub drained...but,, I don't know.  Just hope it gets fixed today..

Thanks everyone... I'll post when it's finished...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 12:15:47 pm »
:)

Maybe I was just in a panic due to the weather and thinking that the tub might freeze.   Still don't understand why they said they needed water in the tub to fix the heater though.   Seems like it would have been safer to leave the tub drained...but,, I don't know.  Just hope it gets fixed today..

They want water in the tub to CONFIRM it's the heater that is the issue and not the circ pump (no bubbles might mean that's your porblem) or something else. It should be simple to confirm.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 12:34:53 pm »
Wonder what they were "swamped" with? I would have to believe that a no heat situation in a freeze zone would take priority.
Bullfrog 562

tvaughan

• Hot Springs Grandee Owner
Re: HELP,, Heater has stopped working (Fixed now)
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 04:01:08 pm »
 :)  The tub is fixed.  The heater was fine.  There was a relay on one of the circuit boards burned out.  That circuit board was replaced the heater was checked and everything seems to be fine now.

The service manager told me that he was very sorry that it took 5 days to get to me but that he was sure there was no danger of freezing.  He explained that he had already scheduled out until tuesday.  He explained that if he had any doubt about the freezing issue it would have been treated as an equipment emergency.He also assured me that everything is good now and just to relax and enjoy the tub.

There was no FEE at all.  Not even a trip fee.  I did give a nice tip to the tech because I do appreciate the work and the way he handled the situation.   He was very nice and explained how the system works and why I had no real need for panic.  I must say that if I were to have this situation again I would not panic as I did.  He doesn't know what caused the relay to burn out.  It seems there could have been many reasons for it to burn out.
He did seem to be at a loss as to why the 30am breaker didn't pop.  He tested the breaker and it works fine.  That circuit board was cooked.

Now I'm just waiting for the water to heat up. I know that's going to take awhile. It's at 72f right now.  But it's heating

I am  very  :-[ (embarrassed) about bad mouthing the dealer as I did.  I should stop to think that the other people waitng for service feel that their problem is just as important as I feel that mine is.  I'm sorry for that.  I'll try to stop and think about that next time.  

Now... I have to say.. I am very glad i purchased the Hotsprings.  

I'm Happy Again.

Thanks to everyone.

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 04:13:53 pm »
good to hear it is fixed. Run the pumps and it will heat a little faster.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 10:27:10 pm »
tvaughan, i'm glad you're back running. Sounds like you have a good dealer after all.

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: HELP,, Heater has stopped working (Fixed now)
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 11:34:14 pm »
I am  very  :-[ (embarrassed) about bad mouthing the dealer as I did.  I should stop to think that the other people waitng for service feel that their problem is just as important as I feel that mine is.  I'm sorry for that.  I'll try to stop and think about that next time.  

Now... I have to say.. I am very glad i purchased the Hotsprings.  

I'm Happy Again.

Thanks to everyone.

Good job by your dealer, and GREAT job by you. Thanks for the followup post, it was very well done.

Enjoy your tub!

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 10:15:45 am »
And they all lived happily ever after.   ;D ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 11:26:12 am »
Tvaung.

I here ya. I am a pro at putting my foot in my mouth. But I've found most folks around here, if you're a geniue person,  and not take yourself too serioulsy, they'll put up with ya.  ;)

Glad to hear the tub is  all set.
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 12:23:55 pm »
congrats on getting the tub fixed and getting your peace of mind back! If the dealer was a schmuck earlier in your experience, I don't think it's wrong to assume that he's still one. ;)  BUT....now that this problem has been addressed and fixed, it seems like he's stepping up to the plate, you might have to give him another go-round before final decision.  ;)
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 12:23:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42