What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foam in spa, now what?  (Read 6005 times)

BigK75

Foam in spa, now what?
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:48:59 pm »
Hey Guys:

1. I yet another question.  I had people over a few days ago and now spa is full of foam.  Its not terrible, but its not great either.  If I buy an anti-foam spray will that that care of it.  I know I should tell my guests to rerinse their bathing suits, but I don't feel comfortable doing that.  Anyhow any suggestion are much appreciated.

2. I have also noticed the building of white stain on my copper sand shell.  It is a little bit higher then the water line and goes all the way around.  I would like some suggestions on how to get rid of it, and how often?

Thanks,

Claude

PS the water is only one and half weeks old so I don't want to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 05:52:56 pm by BigK75 »

Hot Tub Forum

Foam in spa, now what?
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:48:59 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Foam in spa, now what?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:10:33 pm »
BigK, I don't often have guests in my tub, but when I do..I either tell them they have to rinse the suits OR, I offer to do it for them...that's kind of a gentle reminder.  I also keep extra suits around (I pick up swim trunks on sale at the end of the summer). But in a any case, I can't imagine anyone not understanding that suits need to be rinsed to prevent the residual soap from foaming up your tub! I would much rather someone tell me to rinse my suit then be embarrased by messing up their tub. :-/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 06:16:30 pm by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 06:18:13 pm »
Hey Guys:

1. I yet another question.  I had people over a few days ago and now spa is full of foam.  Its not terrible, but its not great either.  If I buy an anti-foam spray will that that care of it.  I know I should tell my guests to rerinse their bathing suits, but I don't feel comfortable doing that.  Anyhow any suggestion are much appreciated.

2. I have also noticed the building of white stain on my copper sand shell.  It is a little bit higher then the water line and goes all the way around.  I would like some suggestions on how to get rid of it, and how often?

Thanks,

Claude

PS the water is only one and half weeks old so I don't want to get rid of it.

Run your jets on high with air venturis open and air blower (if you have one) on for a few minutes.  This should get your foam going pretty good.  Now take a pool net or a clean dust pan and scoop off the top any foam.  Do this a couple of times, then shock and filter, filter, filter.  Foam should disappear.  Any residual, you can use a little foam out dilluted in a spray bottle and just zap it a bit.  The key here is filter.

I use a tub rub on any white residue on my spa.  No chems needed.  Many say a Mr. Clean Eraser works well.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 06:18:42 pm »

Bama

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 08:40:49 pm »
Everytime my friend Trixie gets in my spa with her man friends she creates bubbles and more bubbles!  She won't wash off her skanky perfume before getting in.
Sooo, as suggested above I run the jets and let the bubbles have there way with my spa.  Then I use an aquarium  net (fine mesh) to get the majority of bubbles.
For those small remaining bubbles, I line my aquarium net with a coffe filter and scoop!  Then if there is any remaining, I use a de-foamer.  Problem solved!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 09:25:55 pm »
My way of dealing with foam is what tony and bama said as far as scooping out the foam.

I do shock but with MPS and find that usually in 20 minutes the foam has significantly decreased.

I've tried enzymes and foam down but the scooping and MPS works great for me.

Matt Foley

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:58:55 pm »
If you are lazy like I am, instead of scooping the foam out, use your leaf blower. Works in seconds!
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 12:33:45 am »
the crud above the waterline is probably makeup, lotions, hair goo, etc. Wipe it off, along with whatever "scum" the foam leaves and you should be good to go...it might take a couple tries, but it'll come out....also, after "filter filter filter!"-ing, it wouldn't hurt to clean your filters.....that way, the oils and stuff that caused the problem will be gone, and you won't get a reoccuring issue...well, from THAT particular party. ;)
I also feel "funny" about asking people to be sure their suits are rinsed well, however...I'd rather mention it ahead of time (maybe when inviting for the tubbin'?) than have to scoop crud afterwards....of course, we haven't had much in the way of tub company so far.....  :-/
RIP C-Rod

Bama

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 03:22:13 am »
If you are lazy like I am, instead of scooping the foam out, use your leaf blower. Works in seconds!

So, how is life in a  van down by the river?   ;D

Bama

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 03:31:09 am »
Tatooed is right!  Ask them at the time of the invitation to make sure their swim suits are dried without fabric softener and all body fragrances are removed.    
I find it best to familiarize my invitees with the trickerization of maintaining hot tub PH balance as opposed to the easier maintenance of a swimming pool PH.
Hope that helps.   I've never had anyone be offended.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 09:22:43 am »
I have the same problem.   My wife and I soak "au natural" and never have a foam problem. However, after guest use the tub we get foam.  My close friends know that this is a pain and try to really rinse thier suits out, but it is never perfect, and with other guests I don't make an issue out of it.  Foam's a pain, but being a nice host to me is also important. Given the fact that I doubt they could rinse thier suits to my satisfaction, and having a bunch of guests in the tub always requires me to do a bit more on water maitenance..eh. (There will be spilled drinks, women do wear perfumes, deoderants, skin conditionners, make up...). You aint gonna win.

I'm not a big fan of foam down. I think that although it knocks the foam down, adding this stuff to the water seems to significantly degrade the feel and clarity of the water.  

Here's what I do, and I am very open to suggestions....

Super chlorinate  the tub after guest use the tub.

Use   Leisure Times Bright and Clear.  This clears the water by having the small particulates clump so that the filter can grab and hold them. This also causes significant foaming.  I let the jets run, let the foam build up and then spend about 30 minutes scooping foam.  Scooping is the part I hate.   >:(

Ensure PH, ALk and Ca are spot on.

swap in a clean filter

Within a day it's usally back to normal.

IF I do use a foam down product, I do so very sparingly. I put it in a spritz bottle and give any remaing foam a quick spritz.

IS there a better way?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 09:27:11 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 09:39:38 am »
sorry, I misread and thought it said copper colored ring around the white shell, not vice-versa.  :-[
Guess that's what I get for staying up past my bedtime.
Isn't that indicative of minerals in the water?  :-?
RIP C-Rod

RUBADUBDUB

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 11:21:44 am »
Claude,

Go back to the dealer. He can sell you ANTI-FOAM. I personally don't use it at full strength but rather dilute it in a spray bottle. Too much anti foam can make your water appear cloudy.

As for the white ring. Sounds like a mineral deposit. I get that here in Kitchener as well. Our water is very hard. I found I increased me dosage of Stain and Scale Slightly and if I maintain my PH at the lower end of the scale 7.2ish it helps.

Good Luck!

Rob

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 11:21:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42