Is this thread ready for the Dead horse section

Yes
15 (65.2%)
No
6 (26.1%)
Long live Masterspa!
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Master Spa Shows in the News!  (Read 18917 times)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Master Spa Shows in the News!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 11:12:50 am »
Indeed I have a problem with this type of advertising--it certainly turns me off but I can see the continuum between pristine honesty and downright lying/cheating/robbery and this falls somewhere in the middle along with all other advertising.

Middle? OK, maybe it falls somewhere between "pristine honesty and downright lying/cheating/robbery" but I'd have to say its scewed a bit away from the "pristine honesty" side. It's also more of a business practice than anything so I'm not sure I'd just call it advertising. Like the rebate issues of the past, it's short term gain at the expense of their reputation (and possibly long term growth) but it's their bus to drive...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 11:12:50 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 11:19:08 am »
I do not know for sure that the corporate office knows about these shows, but the salesmen I talked to at one claimed to work ni the factory.

I would daresay it's a pretty safe bet they know about it at the highest levels.  With all of the publicity and public exposure they're receiving on the internet, they would have to be fairly incompetent to NOT know.  I'm sure that any major spa company has people highly placed in the organization that monitors these forums and media outlets.  Watkins certainly does, Arctic does, Sundance/Jacuzzi, Marquis, and D-1 more than likely do, as well.

The reason they won't address these issues on a public forum is simple:

PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY....that, and no legitimate argument to justify the repeated occurrences....PERIOD.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 11:19:25 am »
Indeed I have a problem with this type of advertising--it certainly turns me off but I can see the continuum between pristine honesty and downright lying/cheating/robbery and this falls somewhere in the middle along with all other advertising.

Middle? OK, maybe it falls somewhere between "pristine honesty and downright lying/cheating/robbery" but I'd have to say its scewed a bit away from the "pristine honesty" side. It's also more of a business practice than anything so I'm not sure I'd just call it advertising. Like the rebate issues of the past, it's short term gain at the expense of their reputation (and possibly long term growth) but it's their bus to drive...

Kinda like being a little  bit pregnant.
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 11:47:12 am »
So, the question remains:  Where the heck is the President of Master Spas?  Why would he ever let this terrible PR situation blemish his company's reputation like this?  Could it be that he may be looking at the bottom line and sees that these shows sell spas, and at a good rate of return?  I don't know, but there must be a reason these shows continue.  What are your ideas?
If corporate MS is behind the shows, then I think you hit the nail on the head...they sell spas.  If this is some retailer(s) that is/are acting independantly, then spas are still selling.  In this case, whether corporate knows and either encourages or turns a blind eye, they are still selling spas.  I would find it hard to believe that corporate wouldn't know about the practice.  Obviously, nothing they are doing is against the law though that still doesn't make it palatable to some/most.  
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Davidny

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 11:55:07 am »
There was nothing wrong with the spa she bought, right?  She never said anything about being disappointed in the spa itself.  Buyer beware no matter what you buy or where you buy it from.  She really should have done some research before spending a bunch of cash for a high ticket item.

If she had a problem with her spa its possible that part would have been cut from the story to focus on the false ad claim.

windsurfdog

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 12:07:05 pm »
Excellent points....agreed.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 12:12:07 pm »
Windsurfdog said: "You contend that they are all over the country...well, it seems as if it occurs in more than one place but, like I've said time and time again, I've never seen this in my neck of the woods."

I've never seen an elephant in the flesh, but I've seen one on TV.  Therefore, I'm willing to believe they probably exist.  (I'm pretty gullible, though)
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 01:26:31 pm »
Windsurfdog said: "You contend that they are all over the country...well, it seems as if it occurs in more than one place but, like I've said time and time again, I've never seen this in my neck of the woods."

I've never seen an elephant in the flesh, but I've seen one on TV.  Therefore, I'm willing to believe they probably exist.  (I'm pretty gullible, though)

I've seen the elephant up close and it stinks.

morecowbell

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 12:11:28 pm »
I mostly look here but rarely post. I have been selling the Masterspa line for 7 years. I havent seen another Masterspa retailer post here but there may be one out there. My company is entering its 50th year in the pool/spa business in 2007, I have been here for 14 years. Once a year we go to the Philadelphia home show where there are normally 5 to 6 other spa retailers as well as every home product under the sun. It is always a productive event for us and in no way is it marketed deceptively. However 1 to 2 times a year the next closest Masterspa dealer to us does an event as described in this post. Inevidably we get some fallout from that from people who were lied to.
The "salespeople" who work those events are hired sharks who travel the country and never have to deal with the fallout of there lies and false promises.
So I guess my point is that even a Masterspa dealer has issues with these types of promotions.
By the way we have had nothing but great experiences with Masterspa corporate. No issues whatsoever with parts or support.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 12:27:57 pm »
Do you have any insight then, on Corporate Master Spas take on these allegedly deceptive shows, and other dealings like the rebate scam- which I believe the Minneapolis dealer in question on this thread also was a participant?
 I'd think they'd at least have gotten wind of what's going on.  
Brewman

morecowbell

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 12:44:46 pm »
Sorry, but I dont have any inside info on what Mastersapas reaction is to these types of shows. Next time I see our rep I'll try to pick his brain a little.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2006, 01:49:53 pm »
After finishing Thanksgiving dinner, I headed out to the fair on an unusually cold night in Orlando.  While the kids played, I headed over to the tent selling spas.  One of them had a pop up video screen that seemed cool.

Just for kicks, I acted like an eager buyer and had trouble getting the master Spa rep to get up from his seat even though I was the only person in the tent.

When I asked the price, he told me they were having a special for 13k on the spa.  I mentioned I saw similar models from Jacuzzi and Hot Spring for less and he went into a sales pitch about how they were the leader in the industry and the others were far behind.  When i asked him who services the spas, he said any jacuzzi dealer in the area.  

I felt like moving him into the dunking tank on that cold night.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2006, 01:59:34 pm »
Sorry, but I dont have any inside info on what Mastersapas reaction is to these types of shows. Next time I see our rep I'll try to pick his brain a little.

I know there used to be a dedicated website that showed where the Master show was and where it was going in future weekends because I'd gone to it a few times and then went to a show to see this for myself (and found no exaggeration to the stories I'd heard). It's difficult to believe that it wasn't being overseen by corporate and I thought someone awhile back even commented on knowing the guy in charge of that at the plant (maybe it was Stuart who knew him, not sure though). I feel sorry for some of the local Master dealers who are just hard working people with a store but I gotta believe they drive away some good dealers when they come into their territory with their spa circus tent.

morecowbell

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 02:18:44 pm »
The spa industry in general is in a weird place I believe.
Our market here is completely saturated with more dealers of various brands then I think it can support. Its seems to me that there is a big consumer demand for the show type event as a lot of spas are sold that way.
It can be difficult at times, but the only thing you can really do is continue to work hard and try to help people.

windsurfdog

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 03:18:21 pm »
morecowbell,

Thanks for joining in.  I appreciate your comments.  It's been pretty lonely around here as an MS advocate.... 8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 03:18:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42