What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Micropure filters  (Read 7137 times)

anne

Re: Micropure filters
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 06:48:55 pm »
Thanks Anne. Can you tell me what you didn't like about them?

Part of my problem was that I was not told how to use it properly, so I used clarifier when I had cloudy water, and it worked GREAT that day, but then of course I damaged the filter, so I had worsening filtering problems.

The micropure filters CANNOT be used with clarifiers, defender or other stain/scale products, etc. That would be fine if the filters truely eliminated the NEED for them, but I dont think they do. I generally have really hard water, and micropure does NOT remove calcium. They were developing something new this summer that may be revolutionary, but not as of this spring when I last talked to the rep. I contacted Micropure to ask about the calcium issue.  I expressed my concerns that my hard water would eventually result in heater damage. His reply- dont sweat it- replace your heater in a few years!!!!!!!!

I like the idea of easy water care, but I do not like:
disposable products
being unable to use Defender and Metal Gon
being unable to use clarifier *every now and then*
the extra cost

my $0.02!!!! :)
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 06:48:55 pm »

In Canada eh

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 09:59:04 pm »
Does anyone have experience with these 1 micron disposable filters?

Steve,

I have no real experience with the above filter but just a comment on the 1 micron claim

One micron is 1/25 of 1 thousands of an inch :o a human hair is about 3 thousands of an inch if these filters were to actually trap particles one micron in size they would plug in about 15 minutes.  I'm not trying to pull a Sledjunkie but it seams like a sales pitch to me.  I work for a major water treatment plant in SW Ontario and we get questions about this all the time from people being approached by "in home" water treatment system sales people.  If you were to truly try to filter down to the one micron level (ultra filtration or membrane filtration) you would have to add some type of backwash system to prevent the filter from plugging.   In my opinion I would just stick to the pleated filters
Bullfrog 451

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 11:18:45 am »
 One micron is 1/25 of 1 thousands of an inch :o a human hair is about 3 thousands of an inch if these filters were to actually trap particles one micron in size they would plug in about 15 minutes.

Thank goodness for bypass valves! :D

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 11:46:58 am »
They don't filter down to 1 micron until they start capturing debris and expanding.  That's why I recommend a small bit of enzyme at the start- not for routine maintenance.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 01:50:15 pm »
 One micron is 1/25 of 1 thousands of an inch :o a human hair is about 3 thousands of an inch if these filters were to actually trap particles one micron in size they would plug in about 15 minutes.

Terminator

I agree.  Sundance has been using a one micron filter since 2002 coupled with their low flow circ pump.  When they went to the high flow circ pump they had to change to the five micron filter because they couldn't (or wouldn't trust) enough water flow through a one micron filter.  How are the MicroPure filters working on spas where the water is passing through at greater than six gallons per minute?  Bypass?

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 05:18:00 pm »
I'm glad to read the rave reviews of these filters. They were another reason why I went with Arctic. These filters are supposed to screen particles down to 1 micron and eliminate the need for chemical clarifiers, descummers, de-foamers, etc. By the way, how much do they cost and can you get them at any pool/spa store?

So let me understand this? You went with Arctic because of this (one of the reasons anyway) yet you have no clue the cost of replacement? How did you determine the true value of this feature without knowing that?  ::) Being in the "plastics biz" and all...  ;D
Hey Steve (or should I call you Stevie?), you sure have an edge to you! You know what, I didn't check out the pricing of filters because Arctic gives you an option of either the Micropure or the pleated so your point is moot (by the moot means it really doesn't matter).

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 05:24:20 pm »

Terminator

I agree.  Sundance has been using a one micron filter since 2002 coupled with their low flow circ pump.  When they went to the high flow circ pump they had to change to the five micron filter because they couldn't (or wouldn't trust) enough water flow through a one micron filter.  How are the MicroPure filters working on spas where the water is passing through at greater than six gallons per minute?  Bypass?
My Arctic tech guy was just out doing a final check on my Tundra which will be ready for a first soak tonight. I asked him about your points and he said they've never had a problem with flow. Since these filters are good for about 3 months, I will report back with any complications I may have. Could it be that because they use the low speed of pump 1 to filter instead of a circ pump the water speed is greater thereby causing the water to be forced thru?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 07:33:02 pm »
Hey Steve (or should I call you Stevie?), you sure have an edge to you!

I prefer the term abbrasive but cute as a bugs ear....  ;D

Steve will be fine.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 08:54:30 am »
My Arctic tech guy was just out doing a final check on my Tundra which will be ready for a first soak tonight. I asked him about your points and he said they've never had a problem with flow. Since these filters are good for about 3 months, I will report back with any complications I may have. Could it be that because they use the low speed of pump 1 to filter instead of a circ pump the water speed is greater thereby causing the water to be forced thru?

That is exactly my point.  I have the older style SD system with the one micron filter coupled with the low flow circ pump.  This runs 24/7.  I also have a two speed pump coupled with a pleated filter that also filters at whatever intervals I want to program it.  SD opted not to use a one micron filter for that pump and uses a pleated filter.  When they changed the design in the last couple of years and went to a high flow circ pump to do all the filtering, they changed the filter to a five micron filter.  I would estimate that the high flow circ is close to the flow of the two speed pump on low.  It seems that SD engineering didn't feel comfortable with that kind of flow through one micron.  My spa with the two speed pump also draws water through the filter when the pump is on high.  There is a bypass, but I have never felt it on and it only works if the filter or intake is clogged.  I believe later model SD spas bypass on high by design.  It may be that your spa is designed to bypass when pumps are on high...and maybe even bypassing on low so there would never be an issue.  If it is bypassing on low, then only part of the water drawn through is being filtered...and this may be by design.

I am not judging one system or the other, just curious.

bwbski22

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2006, 11:13:31 am »
what spas do they fit?  wheres the best place to get them?  and how much do they cost?

anne

In Canada eh

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2006, 01:17:25 pm »
Guys and Girls

I am realy not trying to pull a Sledjunkie but I wouldn't spend extra money on these filters.  There is no way they can trap 1 micron particles.   If the cost is only minimal then OK but if there is a large up charge I wouldn't spend it.  
Bullfrog 451

MarKee

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2006, 11:51:25 pm »
I have heard that filtering under 5 microns can be dangerous for a spas equipment.  Is their any truth to this?  I think the concept is that certain levels (particularly calcium hardness) cannot be maintaned at the reccomended levels?

anne

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 02:54:33 am »
I have heard that filtering under 5 microns can be dangerous for a spas equipment.  Is their any truth to this?  I think the concept is that certain levels (particularly calcium hardness) cannot be maintaned at the reccomended levels?

The micropure rep told me that these filters DO NOT remove calcium, so I doubt that the above is a problem unless he was wrong. Could it be damaging to a spa just because the water flow could not be adequate through one? From my previous limited experience, either the filter does not reduce down to one micron, or the surface area of it is large enough to accomodate a HUGE amount of water, because when my filter pump is on high, it is pushing a huge volume per minute through the filter. When I think of the effort it takes to get water though my backpacking water filter (granted, I think it goes to 0.2microns) Micropure doesnt make sense.

dflearning

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 09:41:27 pm »
I am looking at the Artric spa, how do you like yours. Can you emai me at

dfindlay@rideuta.com...Thanks...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 09:41:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42