What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cement Sealers  (Read 5732 times)

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
Cement Sealers
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:09:42 pm »
Did you use a cement sealer on your cement Hot Tub pad?

Cement is pourous, and will absorb water.  To keep this from happening cement sealers are available.

I am just curious if others have considered this.  

regards Zz

Hot Tub Forum

Cement Sealers
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:09:42 pm »

tileman

Re: Cement Sealers
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 10:24:37 pm »
Being in the tile biz I am very familiar w/ sealers. It is a good thing to do but not a neccessity. It will have to be reapplied often and gets to be a hassle. Plus when you have something big and heavy like your spa you won't be able to maintain uniformity when you decide to move things around. If it was exposed aggragate I'd say for sure but not that important with regular concrete. Also if you do decide to do it make sure that the concrete gets a brushed finish. Otherwise you will fall on your A$$ AS IT MAKES IT REALLY SLIPPERY WHEN WET. :o

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 10:33:48 pm »
Otherwise you will fall on your A$$ AS IT MAKES IT REALLY SLIPPERY WHEN WET. :o

Tileman your not kidding, we have a stamped concrete driveway and front walk.  Looks great, but alittle bit of rain or a fine dusting of snow and its like a skating rink :o  We added a suspended grit to it when I sealed it in the spring hoping to add a little traction in the snow.  We'll see how it works soon
Bullfrog 451

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 11:10:18 pm »
Posted by: ZzTop

Have you considered using a cement sealer, such as Xypex to waterproof your concrete?

Hey, ZzTop!
I thought about sealing it, yes.  Would sure prolong its life...
But because the concrete is so smooth (no broom finish due to the leaf pattern) I was worried that if I sealed the concrete, it would make a very slippery surface.  Is this Xypex stuff textured/grippy at all?  The only sealed concrete I've ever walked on barefoot has been pretty slick when it's wet.

Is this a real concern or am I just making up stuff to worry about?

HA! ;D
You guys are the best!  Guess you answered that question in a hurry!
Any other psychic messages you'd like to send my way?
...because integrity's the key

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 10:55:49 am »
Posted by: ZzTop

Have you considered using a cement sealer, such as Xypex to waterproof your concrete?

Hey, ZzTop!
I thought about sealing it, yes.  Would sure prolong its life...
But because the concrete is so smooth (no broom finish due to the leaf pattern) I was worried that if I sealed the concrete, it would make a very slippery surface.  Is this Xypex stuff textured/grippy at all?  The only sealed concrete I've ever walked on barefoot has been pretty slick when it's wet.

Is this a real concern or am I just making up stuff to worry about?

Xypex is waterproofing by crystallization.  It causes a catalytic reaction that produces a non soluble crystalline formation within the pores and capillary tracts of concrete to permanently seal it against water seepage.  Smooth concrete must be lightly roughened or etched.
see http://www.xypex.com/products/product_types.php?pageID=14

I plan to apply it on a brushed finish with concrete which also has fiber added to give it flexability and strength.

regards, Zz
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 11:38:45 am by ZzTop »

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 01:16:43 pm »
That sounds like it will work beautifully for you with your setup, Zztop.
Looks like re-application every few years won't be a problem for you either.
...because integrity's the key

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 01:16:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42