What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cold weather cracking tiles???  (Read 6271 times)

96SC

Cold weather cracking tiles???
« on: June 09, 2007, 05:23:37 pm »
We were at a spa dealer and mentioned we are going to install a patio to put a spa on and were going to use tile on it.  The sales person said we should use stamped concrete becasue if the weather gets to 35 degrees the tile will/may break unless we get 'weather proof tile'(or some such thing).  I have never heard of that or seen it mentioned in any forum discussions.  It doesn't get cold here like it does in other parts of the country or Canada but it will get to 35 in the winter.

What do any of you know about this?  Or is it someone who has a little knowledge being dangerous.  (i.e. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.) :-/

We want to get this question resolved before we start the patio. The spa will be outside.

Thanks to all.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

Cold weather cracking tiles???
« on: June 09, 2007, 05:23:37 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Cold weather cracking tiles???
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:08:26 pm »
You can definetly put tile outside in freezing temps. Just make sure you use a porcelain, quarry, or clay(saltillo) tile. I personally would go with a porcelain tile set in premium modified thinset mixed with straight additive and use epoxy gruot. If you want to be extra cautious in regards to cracking due to the slab settling, you might want to also put down some kind of crack resistent membrane such as noble seal or ditra mat.

autoplay

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 07:22:52 pm »
I'll also add,if you do go the tile route.....to use a slip resistant tile. Porcelain tile is slippery when wet,so find a slip resistant type!

Could add more,but gonna check out the Shelby board :)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 08:10:58 pm »
I'll also add,if you do go the tile route.....to use a slip resistant tile. Porcelain tile is slippery when wet,so find a slip resistant type!

Could add more,but gonna check out the Shelby board :)
Very good point. For info on the rating scales 96SC, go to this link.
http://www.builddirect.com/Articles/ArticleDirectory/porcelain_and_ceramic_tile_articles/ad_prclcrmtile_012.aspx

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 08:10:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42