What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: And while Suddz has your attention...  (Read 4976 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
And while Suddz has your attention...
« on: June 04, 2007, 04:49:40 pm »
I have a tile question too, if you guys don't mind. I have quarry tile in my sunroom (thought it was a great heat-holding tile when we built in the '80's). It fit into the concept of a sunroom at the time. The grout is black and I have done everything that I can think of to clean it. It has white marks that I thought might have come from water stains. I have plants and my messy parrot in there.
After spending hours with a steamer that didn't help at all :o... I went and purchased grout stain. Suddenly I am hit with this thought. The tile is on a concrete bed 4 inches thick. Could my white looking stains be efflorescence from that concrete bed? This would expain why is seems to get worse from washings...Have you guys ever heard of this? Will my grout stain still work?  My plan was to seal the stinkin' quarry tile and then carefully stain the grout so that I don't get it on the tile. Alternately, I could jackhammer it and put in carpet  :-/
Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

And while Suddz has your attention...
« on: June 04, 2007, 04:49:40 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: And while Suddz has your attention...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 07:20:40 pm »
I think the parrot will cause even more white stains on carpeting.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 09:13:52 pm »
I think the answer is yes to the efflorescence.

My suggestion would be to go to a tile store and ask them there. They may have a chemical that will take off stains. I've heard of a stiff brush will work as well if it's a surface stain.

As far as carpet ... no need to jackhamer, just put it over the tile. Maybe try carpet tiles.

autoplay

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:30:35 pm »
Remove old grout,and re-grout.  Get a few estimates on removal of old grout,and grouted with "epoxy" grout.  Epoxy grout is a tad expensive,but it's worth it in the longrun as it will never stain nor deterioate.

Justify costs of re-grouting,verses carpet/wood etc etc.

And...let me send you here lol.....

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:05:42 pm »
Oh Vinny, I have tried every kind of brush you can imagine :o...and probably at least 10 different grout cleaners.  I am beyond any more cleaning.  :(I guess I could put padding down and carpet, if nothing else.
The tile does help with the clean-up from the bird and my jungle of plants. :-/

Thanks for the link, Autoplay, I am kind of stuck with $98.00 worth of charcoal grout stain. They special ordered it for me. I guess my question should have been if this is effloresence, will it still stain evenly? And will it matter if it is? I really can't afford to regrout this room. If I could, I will tear out that quarry tile. It looks like it belongs in the boy's bathroom at school. I thought if I could at least make the grout look decent, I could stand it until I can afford to do something.
The woman at the tile store gave me some sealer to try sealing the tile first.
So put it this way, if you were going to stain the grout, would you seal the tiles first, or carefully stain the grout and seal the whole mess?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:10:47 am »

So put it this way, if you were going to stain the grout, would you seal the tiles first, or carefully stain the grout and seal the whole mess?

Bonibelle,
If regrouting is out of budget, don't worry. I've worked with grout stain a few times. It seems to work just fine. As far sealing, I'd seal the whole floor when done.
Here's a good link for you as well.
http://www.askthebuilder.com/507_Change_Tile_Grout_Color.shtml
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:18:48 am by WHY_NOT »

autoplay

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 12:40:59 am »
Stain the grout after following directions for cleaning the joints,then seal everything.  And yes,the efforvesence will continue,till you rectify the problem in the mortar/mudbed underneath. Is it humid in that room?

If you did carpet over the tile,you have an added expense of flashing over the tile/joints,to get it relatively flat for carpet application.

Boni.....get a FREE estimate from someone,to remove grout,and re-grout with epoxy.  When it's done,it will last your lifetime and mine,combined :)  Ballpark figure of what I charge to grout epoxy in my area,not including grout removal,is 1-1.50 per sq ft.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 03:48:11 pm »
The kind lady at the tile store gave me a list of tile setters that she would recommend today. I will get that estimate. I really want to take the grout out of my kitchen too, so at least I can get an idea of what it will cost. I made a real mistake by letting the contractor that did my cabinets also lay my tile floor  :(  The grout has come out in several places and he did a lousy job refilling it because it lasted all of 2 weeks and it came out also  >:(

Thanks guys

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 03:48:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42