What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pool Forum?  (Read 14421 times)

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
Pool Forum?
« on: May 27, 2007, 01:28:38 pm »
I'm having the pool renovated and I'm looking on advice on a new filter. Sand vs cartridge vs de.  also advice on chlorine delivery methods.  Any pool forums as good as this one?

Thanx.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Hot Tub Forum

Pool Forum?
« on: May 27, 2007, 01:28:38 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Pool Forum?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 04:46:45 pm »
A lot depends on where you live  how accessible water is (city water or well) how big your pool is and frequency of use.  D E filters are expensive but work awesome   Sand filters are cheaper but if you are on water restrictions it will cost you with all the backwashing you have to do. You can also convert your sand filter to a glass media where you wont have to backwash as much.  Cartridge filters conserve water cost quite a bit you need to have spares on hand but I find are harder to bring your pool back once  
you have lost it.    I would recommend a salt generator by Jandy or Gold line(hayward)  There are even salt/ozone generators if you feel like being different.

Havent found a good pool forum yet

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:32:24 am »
You can try poolforum.com.  Its a pretty active forum.  If you don't mind the strong opinions on how to handle your water chemistry, you can gain some good information there.

FWIW, I use a cartridge filter on my small (7000 gallon) AG pool and couldn't be more satisfied.  Being in the northeast, the pool is open only in season but I clean the filter when I close the pool, install it when I open and don't touch it till I close again.  My water is always crystal clear, not once has it been cloudy.  The filter is very large though and clean it by soaking overnight with a filter cleaning solution in a clean rubbish barrel and rinsing well.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 11:35:58 am »
I also have been on poolforum.com. Apparently the moderator/owner there hasn't been around for a long while and others have started up there own similar forum.

I bought a DE filter and I live in NJ. I did a lot of research and asked friends who owned pools and they all told me - get DE. I did and I think it's great. Apparently, there is no filter like a DE filter for really getting all the stuff out of the water.

It clears up the pool within 24 hours and the pool is always sparking when it's running right. I say this because I notice it will stop running correctly way before the pressure goes up the 5 or 10 PSI that the instructions say. But with that said it's just a routine that you need to change the DE on a regualar basis. I do it about once a month ... I opened it up this weekend and will replace the DE in June. This year I opened it up to cloudy water and I had to replace the DE after 24 hours. I have it down pat so it took me 15 minutes ... no big deal. But my pool is sparkling again.

As far as expensive, I think they are about the same price as a sand filter. They gave me a choice of either sand or DE when I bought the pool so I can't see them being much more expensive. I've read that if you go with a sand filter that you can use a cup of DE powder to ultra filter the water if need be.

As far as chlorine, on poolforum they say a lot of good things on SOME salt water generators. My pool is above ground and I asked about that and they said not to use them on an above ground pool ... will cause corrosion to the pool walls.

At this point I don't think you can register at poolforum but it's definately worth the effort to read the posts there. The owner ruled with an iron fist, he has people using household chemicals when available and the people there have a great understanding of pools. I've used a modified approach to their method ... I've used bleach, trichlor and cal hypo for chlorine as needed; I've used borax to raise PH and that's where I learned to use baking soda to raise alkalinity.

96SC

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 12:16:51 pm »
At one time my parents had an AG pool and used DE for filtering and I never ever saw the water cloudy.  We, on the other hand, once had an AG pool with cartridge filtering and it was never ever clear.

My 2¢

:D
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 02:53:54 pm »
Thanks for the information. I looked at poolforum.com and tried to register.  They have registration trned off.  No search feature that I can find either.

The pool renovator leans toward DE and sand filters. The sand filter we currently have is easy to backwash but replacing the sand (lots of cottonwood) is a pain.  The cartridge system the spa uses seems to work well for the spa and wondered if the a big one (how big?) would work for the pool.  

The DE filter i guess, from the posts, keeps the pool cleaner.  Is it worth the extra work?

Thanks for all your help.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 04:39:47 pm »
There's not too much work in a DE filter ...

Step 1 - turn off filter.

Step 2 - attach the backwash hose.

Step 3 - bump the grids (if the filter has a bump feature).

(These following steps are for above ground pool ... I use gravity and non powered water pressure to clean filter, you may need to use the filter pump).

Step 4 - open up the backwash valve.

Step 5 - having a beer, water, wine or coffe (morning) watch the water flow until flows semi clear.

Strep 6 - close backwash valve

Step 7 - repeat steps 3 to 6  - 2 or 3 times more.

Step 8 - Turn on filter and add DE powder.

Like I said, I started the pool yesterday and I replaced the DE this morning ... the above steps took all of 15 minutes to complete.

Some filters have a bump feature where it regenerates the DE that's in the filter. Basically all it does is dislodge the DE that's on the grids and when the filter starts again deposits it back onto the grid. It does buy a little time but I have found that when I bump a filter its time to replace the DE. BTW, DE (actually I use a product called aqua pearl) costs about $20 a bag ... depending on the size of the filter this should last you at least a season, possibly more.

As far as poolforum, there is no search feature but each subject is broken down with posts on it. (if you go onto the site and are interested in salt water generators - go to that subject). here's a link to that info:   http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/forumdisplay.php?f=138

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 08:12:32 pm »
Thanks Vinny,  Doesn't seem to much different than my sand filter.  I'm going to look ata a DE more closely.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 02:36:44 pm »
You can try poolforum.com.  Its a pretty active forum.  If you don't mind the strong opinions on how to handle your water chemistry, you can gain some good information there.

Is that the place where the moderator insists on only  using laundry bleach and won't allow discussions about anything else?   :-?

07 Caldera Geneva

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 03:27:06 pm »

Is that the place where the moderator insists on only  using laundry bleach and won't allow discussions about anything else?   :-?

Yup.  Thats the place.  If you can get through the strong opinions regarding sanitation, there are some informative posts there.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 04:12:43 pm »

And that got me banned from the site *LOL*..
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 08:04:51 pm »
I saw the bleach thread.  So how does bleach compare to the different chlorine delivery sytems and forms?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 11:06:34 pm »
Bleach is readily available; it is about 1/2 the potency of liquid pool chlorine but is easily destroyed by heat and sunlight.

There apparently is a bleach (or liquid pool chlorine) dispenser that you attach to your filter pump and it delivers chlorine that way.

Why Bleach? Well for a lot of people who go into pool stores - chlorine is expensive and some people will get ripped off. Adding bleach TO A POOL (we are not talking spa here for anyone reading this who thinks we may) adds nothing in the way of CYA, alkalinity or calcium. It will raise you PH and needs to be combatted with PH down.

I personally use bleach for pool openings - it works great. I also monitor all my pool levels and use a combination of bleach, trichlor and cal hypo to maintain the water in a balanced condition. I have not found chlorine to be too expensive but I buy my pool chlorine from Leslies pool supplies and get a 50 lb cal hypo pail for about $70 and that will last me about a year and 1/2. Trichlor is great for when I go on vacation (I use a pentair 320 auto feeder for trichlor pucks) or need to boost the CYA in the pool and when the levels are up in CYA and calcium - I go to bleach. I tend to not use bleach because it has a short shelf life and I don't want to go to the store and buy it 3x a week (I am over stating this to make a point).

I say try it but remember there are all the water's parameters that you need to worry about. I think if I had a choice and had a built in pool I just may go for the salt water generator as it seems that it is fairly consistent and is super easy to use once the proper amount of salt is in the pool.

BTW, I use borax to raise the PH in my pool. It sounds like it's nuts but honestly the stuff that I learned there does work. I don't follow it to the "T" as I don't think using bleach is as inexpensive (or not much difference) as using the other forms of chlorine.

I hope this helps.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 07:03:05 am »
In my pool I use a combination of liquid chlorine (double strength bleach) and trichlor.  I do this to keep CYA levels in check.

A couple of the poolforum folks have infiltrated the poolspaforum.  You can get a healthy dose of bleach talk there.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 07:07:01 am by tony »

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 12:25:33 pm »
All:  Thanks again for all the info.  In the last 15 yrs, I have never tested the CYA in the pool.  I always heard that backwashing and partial fall draining would keep stabilizer where it needs to be.

Amazing what you can learn here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:26:38 pm by GoBlue »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 12:25:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42