What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Running efficiently/trying to save on electric  (Read 2564 times)

RGF

Running efficiently/trying to save on electric
« on: September 21, 2006, 02:53:06 pm »
Hi again. Thanks for your feedback.  We have the tub at a weekend ski house, outside, snow Belt, Catskill Mountains, NYS.  Do you know if this is a good or bad strategy?  To save money on electric, on Sunday when we leave, turn the thing down to 90, 80, 70, whatever, and then have it on timer to come back up to 100 on Friday at 6PM or something??

Has there been a quantitative/academic study done?  We have the Fiji unit, from Home Depot's supplier in Texas.

Rick

Hot Tub Forum

Running efficiently/trying to save on electric
« on: September 21, 2006, 02:53:06 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Running efficiently/trying to save on electric
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 03:07:42 pm »
RGF, I think in that setting, I might worry about turning the temp to the 70's unless the tub is really well insulated.  If you would lose power with water at 70 degrees and the winter air temperature below freezing, how long would it take for pipes, pumps etc. to freeze up too?
I am curious, your tub has a timer that will adjust your temperature at a given time?...that's pretty cool!

Maybe if you can determine how fast your temperature drops at the worst case outdoor temperature, you can decide if you can afford to risk dropping it to 70 degrees. You can probably decide if it would be economical by seeing how much electric you use to heat the tub from 70 to 101. I am guessing you will see many on here will tell you dropping the temp to 70 isn't a real good idea, energy wise or investment wise  :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:12:03 pm »
Hi again. Thanks for your feedback.  We have the tub at a weekend ski house, outside, snow Belt, Catskill Mountains, NYS.  Do you know if this is a good or bad strategy?  To save money on electric, on Sunday when we leave, turn the thing down to 90, 80, 70, whatever, and then have it on timer to come back up to 100 on Friday at 6PM or something??

Has there been a quantitative/academic study done?  We have the Fiji unit, from Home Depot's supplier in Texas.

Rick

I thought we answered this in your other post!

Sorry but you bought a tub that I don't think has sophisticated enough electronics to turn up the heat one day a week. Typically any tub with economy mode can be programmed to heat at a certain time of day but I don't think you can get it to do a day of the week.

Also, if it turns off the entire tub you could run into some serious issues with the tub freezing.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:12:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42