What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tub foundation and leveling  (Read 6968 times)

honeypot

Tub foundation and leveling
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:11:10 pm »
Hello.

My pavers are being laid for the patio that my new Hot Spot Tempo will be placed on and I have a few questions.

As I understand it, my paver patio is being sloped so that the water will run away from the house (1/4 inch per foot).  Will this be noticeable once the tub is put on it?  I wouldn't want a tub that looks like it's not sitting level.  Since the patio is going to be much larger than the tub, should they center the tub on level pavers and slope the rest of the pavers around it?  Hope this makes sense. 

More work tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get some responses before then.

Thank you.

hp

Hot Tub Forum

Tub foundation and leveling
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:11:10 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Tub foundation and leveling
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:24:54 pm »
If the spa is six feet across the water line will be noticeably off by 1-1/2" from one side to the other.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

honeypot

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:44:37 am »
According to what I've read and been told, pavers need to have a more drastic slope than concrete.  What I think I'll suggest is that the pavers that will be directly under the hot tub (7.5 x 7.5) be sloped only .5".  The rest of the pavers should be sloped .25" per foot.  The entire patio where the tub will be is 14' x 16'. 

Does this sound reasonable?    ???

Thanks.

pam

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:25:34 am »
Well, .5" is a bigger slope, so be careful when you give them directions on that. Unless you are meaning a total slope of .5", then that should be fine.  I've always had concrete, so I've not had to worry with pavers and whether or not they needed a slop.  I kept my pads pretty level.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

honeypot

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:08:57 pm »
They are going to level the pavers that will be directly under the tub, the other pavers will have the .25 / inch slope.  This patio almost butts directly up against the basement wall and with the excavation the bottom of the foundation is nearly exposed.  I want to make sure that the water runs away from the house... instead of digging any further they have left about 8" of earth next to the foundation and then started the pavers.  This area will be covered with decorative river rock or something of my choosing... this way the bottom of the foundation was not exposed AND the drainage pipe was left intact.  I plan to run the rock around the concrete slab that was already in place as you walked out the basement door.  This will also allow for any deviation in height between the paver patio and the concrete.  It also delineates the two which obviously are not the same.  I think it will look nice considering that I have a garden near the edge of the patio and am intending to have a 'stone' path from the patio to the garden... same stone as around the concrete slab.  Hard to visualize, I'm sure.  I will take photos when it starts to look like something  ::)

hp

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:35:44 am »
 :) Sounds like you've got it all worked out!
Can't wait to see the pictures!  :)
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:35:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42