What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: concrete pad/patio question  (Read 4927 times)

zackem

• Just trying to get by.....
concrete pad/patio question
« on: July 19, 2006, 08:44:28 pm »
Ordered HS Grandee today. Thinking of concrete pad/patio. Doesn't costs a lot more to have a patio poured because of minimum charges....any suggestions? Can electrical conduit be put in the concrete for the wires?...thanks zackem ::)
zackem

Hot Tub Forum

concrete pad/patio question
« on: July 19, 2006, 08:44:28 pm »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Re: concrete pad/patio question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 09:00:11 pm »
I did it, when I poured mine.

Jack_L

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:30:36 am »
As you can see from this photo, my conduit runs above the concrete but it would have been nice to have been able to run the conduit "in" the concete but 'oh-well'.  Problem was that we did not know for sure where the tub was going to sit prior to install.  I still haven't reattached the conduit to the slate since it was installed over the concrete last week (it was my first slate job) and I'm currently finishing up on adding a Pergola (spelling?) to the area as well (pictures to follow).  

« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:31:23 am by Jack_L »

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 02:26:11 am »
Jack L - nice patio! That looks great! You installed slate tiles over a concrete pad? That doesn't sound too bad- did it take a while? I'm redoing our patio, & was just going to put brick pavers back in, but that looks really nice.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Jack_L

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 03:53:20 am »
Jack L - nice patio! That looks great! You installed slate tiles over a concrete pad? That doesn't sound too bad- did it take a while? I'm redoing our patio, & was just going to put brick pavers back in, but that looks really nice.

My wife didn't like the look of plain cement so we decided to put slate on top.  I had never done slate, or even tiles before but it wasn't too bad to do.  My area was aprox. 21'x18' and it took around 315 tiles.  My hands were very sore when I was done....and that mortar is murder on the skin.  I just cut the slate tiles and went around the tub rather then move the tub and do under.  I really wasn't sure which way I should do that, but going around it worked out pretty good and it looks like the entire slab was done when I was finished.  You couldn't tell I had only run it up to the side of the hot tub.

autoplay

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 06:45:56 am »

I did brick pavers around our pool deck,and it looks great. Slate is a great option too.

I'm a tile/stone mason.....and if you're gonna put pavers/tile/slate on top of the concrete,I highly suggest you do it prior to your tub being installed....and preferably,2 weeks before your tub arrives.

If you know where the tub is gonna sit,and where the elec will pipe into in the spa,I would DEFINATELY run the conduit under the slab. Looks better,and no trippin hazard.  

Have fun with it and GL!

Jack_L

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 07:43:16 am »
Wow, yours looks great!  You can tell an amature (me) from a professional, that's for sure.  I would have installed the slate prior to the tub, but we didn't think about it until after the tub was installed.  Another concern of mine was the weight of the tub breaking/cracking slate tiles from weight??  

Thanks for the photo's!

zackem

• Just trying to get by.....
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 01:23:23 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions..,..am meeting with concrete contractor on Friday for his suggestions and more importantly the costs! I thought about pavers but was told the tub would be too heavy and the pavers (alone) would not do...I hope to get this done correctly so I don't have to do it over....zackem
...update....Concrete pad poured....electrical Monday AM...Tub delivery will be Friday 4th...thanks for all the suggestions...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 09:41:58 pm by zackem »
zackem

ctkathy

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 01:02:31 pm »
I have a large bluestone patio and plan to add a hot tub (probably the Sundance Maxxus) by extending the patio.  We would like to do this economincally, but also installing a plain concrete pad just isn't going to look right in our yard.  

Current bluestone is not cemented in.  Would it be possible to install the cement pad just where the hot tub is to be and then do bluestone work around it to match the patio?  

How many feet of patio around the hot tub is usually allowed?  

I looked at that slate installation, and that is simlar to what we want, but cannot do cement between the new bluestones because it won't match the rest of our patio.

Any suggestions?  

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 12:57:19 pm »
I'd go with some sort of concrete patio since the charges are going to be too much more.

Regarding the conduit in the concrete.  Yes, you can run the conduit and then pour the concrete.  You just need to make sure you know where the electrical wires will enter the tub and plan accordingly.  
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

ctkathy

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 04:50:34 pm »
I can't put a poured concrete patio butted up against my curved bluestone patio.  It would affect the value of our house and hurt possible resale down the road.    

I've talked to three masons about what we want and I await their estimates.  I'm sure it will not be cheap.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 04:50:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42