What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: For Why-Not  (Read 4352 times)

autoplay

For Why-Not
« on: April 29, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »
Here's a few pics of the latest job I did.  Some of em,the pic quality looks chitty.  Need to figure out stuff with cam,and dial it in.

Last 2 Pics Chad,what do you see?

Hot Tub Forum

For Why-Not
« on: April 29, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

tommy tunes

Re: For Why-Not
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 10:18:18 pm »
I see some mighty impressive work all the way around.

However, I see in the last two pics, too many tiny stones and waaaay too much patience needed.  Doesn't that come in a sheet form you can just put down in sections?

The only tiling i've ever done was 15 12x12 tiles in front of my wood stove in the basement.  That was 15 tiles too many for me! ;D ;D ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:33:45 am »
I am impressed. wow.  :D

I dream about having tilework like that.
07 Caldera Geneva

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 07:57:47 pm »
Nice work. 8-)
I bet that shower floor was fun.  ;)

Last 2 Pics Chad,what do you see?
Is this a test? I hope not, I didn't study. :-[ Uhhhh, the drain is too small? I don't know.

It looks like new construction. Why did the trim carpenters run the base on your tile before grout? >:(

Thanks for sharing,

Chad

P.S- Do you do alot of custom home work? I wish we did. We might do 1 custom house a month. The rest is just typical standard floor and wall tile installations. (get in get out, rush rush). However, we did just start a $12,000 master bathroom today. It's all 12 x 12 marble, floor and shower/Jacuzzi tub. Nothin too fancy but I'll take a few pics when we get finished.
Whenever the old guys(my boses(dad and uncle)) put the tools down for good(5-10 years), all I want to do is custom home work. The everyday grind of "track homes" gets real monotonous.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 08:03:01 pm by WHY_NOT »

autoplay

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 10:13:03 pm »
As Tommy tunes mentioned....it's all by the piece lol. It was/is sheet mounted goods(the river rock)and,when mounted on the sheets,after grouting,you can actually see grid lines etc...looks like doo-doo.  I took the EXTRA time,and pieced it all in 1 at a time. It sucked,but longterm,it looks good.

In 99% of the homes I do in FL,they run the base,prior to tile. They generally hold it up 7/16th-1/2"

I pretty much do only custom new homes,higher end stuff. That work and cliental always seems to be there in this area. Lots of money here,and lots of people with big money,in my area.  To add,some smaller builders in this area have closed their doors,as work in general in this area is down substantially.

Establish yourself with the builder/work scope you want to obtain,ALWAYS do your best,and pride yourself over quality verses quanity,and you'll do fine. Offer to do some work for higher end builders,slash your price to get in the door,show them you work in a timely and professional fashion,and you'll have plenty of work!

I have the skills to float/mud walls,but no-one does that here in FL lol. Likewise with countertops I.E. sinkrail/cap.  Do you know how to float walls,and if so,is that a plus where you live?

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 10:34:29 pm »
Very nice autoplay. Can I ask what the installation rates are per square foot for main flooring? Perhpaps you quote the entire job? Great work......
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

autoplay

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 03:42:52 pm »
In my neck of the woods,my LABOR prices for flooring...Straight lay,12x12 or smaller,starts at 3.50 a ft.  Diagonal work costs more,as well as bigger tile/s.  Designs/inlays vary,dependant on the detail etc.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 07:49:08 pm »
I have the skills to float/mud walls,but no-one does that here in FL lol. Likewise with countertops I.E. sinkrail/cap.  Do you know how to float walls,and if so,is that a plus where you live?
The only experience I have with mud walls was in school. I've been with my Dad and Uncle for 6 years and we are yet to do it. I asked them today about it and if they have ever done it in their 25+ years in the industry and they could only remember a few times back in the day. We just use Durock on the shower walls. So I guess they don't do it here in the STL either.

The master bathroom that I mentioned in my previous post is getting a bit more fancy as the homeowner added a nice inlay on the floor and a coordinating one in the shower. It should turn out pretty cool. We will have the floor finished set tommarrow and then we will start the shower walls but we're waiting for the bullnose from the fabricator.(We had to get a few cartons of 12 x 12 bullnosed).

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 08:01:50 pm »
Very nice autoplay. Can I ask what the installation rates are per square foot for main flooring? Perhpaps you quote the entire job? Great work......
In new construction we start at $10 per f2 installed for a straightlayed 12 x 12 and go up from there. I beleive we are getting close to $30 per f2 for this marble master bathroom installion. Like autoplay said it really depends on alot of different factors.

autoplay

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 09:25:06 pm »
That's killer and great Why-Not...if that's JUST labor pricing.  Labor here for stone on floors,nuttin fancy etc,starts at 8 a ft.  Stone walls start at 10 a ft.

At your pay scale Why-Not,you could set n grout 50 ft a day....and make 500 a day lol.

New homes,average price nationally....the builder charges customer/homeowner around 14 a ft. That's including builders grade materials and labor.

autoplay

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 09:41:32 pm »
Here's a few pics of a shower pan I did a few weeks ago.  On the walls it has the same 4" band of negro markina mesh mounted,and above that,13x13 on diag.

P.S. ... Bill,heading out Thursday to cruise,ship leaves Friday.  Will get pics and provide what I can etc of this cruise ship.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 11:18:42 pm »
That's killer and great Why-Not...if that's JUST labor pricing.  Labor here for stone on floors,nuttin fancy etc,starts at 8 a ft.  Stone walls start at 10 a ft.

At your pay scale Why-Not,you could set n grout 50 ft a day....and make 500 a day lol.

New homes,average price nationally....the builder charges customer/homeowner around 14 a ft. That's including builders grade materials and labor.
Those prices are labor and materials lol. We do good but not that good. If we charged 30 a ft., I'd be drivin' a 911 not a Z lol.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 11:20:15 pm »
Here's a few pics of a shower pan I did a few weeks ago.  On the walls it has the same 4" band of negro markina mesh mounted,and above that,13x13 on diag.

Another job well done. 8-)

I'll post some pics as soon as we get finished.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 11:20:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42