What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Fungal issues  (Read 29155 times)

joshua45

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Fungal issues
« on: August 15, 2006, 10:24:32 pm »
I've had my hot tub for about 6 months.  About two months ago, I developed 'jock itch' and or ringworm on my legs and groin.  I did not link it to the hot tub and attributed it to 'other things'... After going to the doctor (confirming the jock itch (ringworm) fungus.. it cleared up in about 2 weeks. (I stayed out of the tub thinking the 'nice hot water' would only provide a good environment for my infection to continue.   After the 'itch' went away and the ring worm was gone... I got back in the hot tub... The next day the 'itch' was driving me crazy and the ringworm reappeared...  Again, using medication, it cleared...but this time.. I stayed out for over three weeks.  In the mean time, I was maintaining the chemical balance of the water (bromine levels, ph, hardness, etc) within the limits of the dipsticks.  I got back in the hot tub two days ago.. and GUESS WHATS BACK.. (damn jock itch and ringworm).

My question is: Despite having my water balanced and even after cleaning the filter about 3 weeks ago.. WHY DO I KEEP DEVELOPING THIS PROBLEM.... Any thoughts, experiences etc would be very helpful.. I LOVE MY TUB..BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM TO LOVE ME (LOL).. Actually, I'm VERY apprehensive to get back in fearing another outbreak.. TRUST ME... Talk about burning, itching and sleepless nights for the 'itch' is a REAL pain in the butt.    Again.. Anyone else have experiences or thoughts on the matter.  Its definately funal and again, as long as I stay out of the tub.. it goes away and I don't have any flare-ups until I get back in the tub... HELP PLEASE

Hot Tub Forum

Fungal issues
« on: August 15, 2006, 10:24:32 pm »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Re: Fungal issues
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 10:33:08 pm »
Does not sound like fun. I would suggest changing the water.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 07:17:16 am »
Haven't experienced your particular problem with our customers. I'm with cooltoy, drain it. Soak filters in a chlorine water solution over night in a bucket. Refill spa and double shock with Chlorine. What is your sanitizing routine? Chlorine? Bromine? Ozone? Nature2?
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 08:15:36 am »
No joking intended...but do you wear a bathing suit when you soak?
If so, is it the same one everytime?...Do you remove the wet suit as soon as you get out of the tub?  I would think that either the hot water is causing your skin to be real sensitive and that fungus is hanging out waiting for the opportunity to cause you problems, or you are picking up the infection by using something "related to the hot tub". Maybe Doc will comment, I know I was surprised that Psudeomonas caused the hot tub rash, who knows, maybe fungus can survive in the tub as well?? :-???
I hope someone can comment as my son just started football and if he is getting in the tub ...he better not be bringing any fungal funk to share with the rest of the family!!! :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

anne

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 12:01:17 pm »
It still makes sense to drain, clean and refill the tub, but it might be easier to eliminate the problem if you are certain of what it is.......definitely fungal, not bacterial? (ie, pseudomonas) Was it cultured or otherwise tested?
Dance like nobody's watching

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:07:42 pm »
I'm sure there can be more than one reason, but the only time I have had this problem was when I got out of the tub, having worn a suit and didn't change out of it for awhile.  Now, when on rare occasions I use a suit, I make sure to dry thoroughly.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 12:20:19 pm »
That is exactly what I was getting at...the wet/damp suit is a perfect breeding ground for fungi...also if you don't typically wash your suit in detergent (to avoid the foaming issues), maybe that could be a problem.  :-/

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 12:24:02 pm »
I have/had teh same issue..  I read much advice telling me NOT to wash my suit each time I soaked as it adds soap and foam to the spa.  So I didn't.  And, I got the itch.  After some cream, it is all good again.  However, now I wash the suit once a week, and I simply re-rinse the suit in the sink to ensure that I get as much of the soap as possible.  So far so good, and no itch again...

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 01:43:56 pm »
I bet that is the answer....just wash and do an extra rinse...

joshua45

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 02:54:04 pm »
Thank you all who have replied thus far... To answer the questions you have asked: (1) WHen I soak, I do not use a bathing suit (a-la-naturale).  (2) my routine for maintanence is to monitor (via dip stick) the chemistry of the tub and to adjust according to the readings.  I am using Bromine & Ozone and the last time I cleaned the filters was about 3 months ago when I changed the water.   I suspect this has more to do 'with me' rather then the tub. (ie) my lady friend, who uses the tub daily also, only has a vew minor 'spots' (looks like chigger bites) on her leg that does clear up when she stays out of the tub a few days.   hence, I suspect my comprimized immune system (diabetes) may be making my skin EXTREMELY sensitive to SOMETHING (chemicals, critters in the water (bacteria/fungus) etc.   I've never ever had a fungal infection or jock itch in my entire life..but now, for whatever reason, my body is playing games with me.  

I found this site via a google search which has answered many of my concerns.. but still doesn't offer a solution to 'my particular situation'.. Sadly, like one or two people in this other forum... NOTHING seems to help except staying out of the water... (see this forum--> http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pl?noframes;read=80951).  There is a lot of good info on this particular subject... but it sounds like I have some experimenting to do.

I intend on 'Starting New" ... meaning draining, through cleaning (tub, filters, top, etc) and refilling and rebalancing... etc.  

I do have a question... I am thinking of first adding 2 cups of bleach, circulating water and letting sit overnight before draining and my 'restart' of the tub... My question is:  Since I am using a Bromine base for my routine maintenance, will there be some type of 'metal' (corrosion) problem or attack on my heater or damage to the tub with 'this wash' using chlorine.

mikes

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 01:11:55 pm »
The link you provided is not working.

I seem to be having the same issues - bumps on my legs and "other issues".

Did you ever get this resolved?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 01:11:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42