What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: High Prices!  (Read 3013 times)

retiredmt

High Prices!
« on: March 02, 2020, 06:21:01 pm »
I'm looking at getting 2 different Arctic spas and just received the quote. I am shocked at the prices. Is there any way to find out what other dealers might be charging in other parts of the country?

Hot Tub Forum

High Prices!
« on: March 02, 2020, 06:21:01 pm »

castletonia

Re: High Prices!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 06:50:36 pm »
Not sure if there are any Arctic dealers on here. 

I hate to say this, but it doesn't matter what other dealers sell for, they can't sell to you unless they can physically deliver and service you.  Your local dealer determines their price so long as its less than MSRP. 

ratchett

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 06:37:50 am »
What many new buyers don't realize is that you're not simply buying the hot tub and walking away, you're also buying a warranty package from the dealer to service the spa if necessary.

The thing is, every dealer in the country operates on a different profit margin - the cost of living changes greatly depending where you live in the country, as does the cost of operating a business.  No dealer is going to care if you say you saw someone pay $1500+ less for the same spa across the country.  Hell I visited two different hotspring dealers equidistant from my home and the price for the same make/model/year spa was about 20% cheaper from the one dealer over the other (no haggling necessary, these were their advertised sale prices) - that's because the two dealers had very different business models.

The important thing to remember is that your dealer is going to be the company servicing your spa for any warranty service over the next few years.  You want to ensure you can trust them to do the job right - do they have technicians in-house or do they outsource?  Do those technicians service all spas or just one brand exclusively?  What are the call out charges?   

The dealer you buy from is just as important as the brand.   If you don't like the dealer but like the spa, try looking up any other regional Arctic dealers within 100 miles of your location and give them a call - tell them exactly what you're looking for and ask for a price, sometimes they're happy enough to give a price over the phone without having to drive an hour+ to the showroom. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:39:37 am by ratchett »

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 09:39:39 am »
Not a huge fan of Arctic Spa. IMO stay away from cedar sided models. Look great in showroom but 1 season later look like sht and require a lot of work to keep them looking good. Make sure to ask where the pumps are made. European (metric) made pumps can be harder to find parts for. In another thread you asked about insulation. The way the floor is insulated there are a lot of uneven peaks and valleys and water will sit in the valleys and go stagnant. There is a flap to release the water if there is a leak but I have seen many Arctics that have leaked and filled the floor up to and above the pumps,pack and other electrical components placed low inside the cabinet. Snow, gravel or other things can prevent the flaps from working as designed. Even though the plumbing is exposed they can be very difficult to work on. Not a dealer of any brand just an independent tech passing along some of the thing I see.

Water Boy

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 10:15:14 am »
As others have said, prices will vary from dealer to dealer, and different parts of the country/world. My best advice is to go to the dealer with checkbook or visa in hand, and ask if for their best price if you purchase right now. At least with me, I would get you my best price at that point. Some dealers offer better prices for check versus credit card, so might ask about that too.

I have been selling Arctic Spas since 2002. The cedar cabinets hold up and weather very well as long as you treat them. I still have customers with spas from that year, and the cabinets look very good still. Just like anything you put outside, if you don't take care of it, it will weather. But, there is as maintenance free cabinet option if you don't want to stain the cedar.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

retiredmt

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 10:45:55 am »
As others have said, prices will vary from dealer to dealer, and different parts of the country/world. My best advice is to go to the dealer with checkbook or visa in hand, and ask if for their best price if you purchase right now. At least with me, I would get you my best price at that point. Some dealers offer better prices for check versus credit card, so might ask about that too.

I have been selling Arctic Spas since 2002. The cedar cabinets hold up and weather very well as long as you treat them. I still have customers with spas from that year, and the cabinets look very good still. Just like anything you put outside, if you don't take care of it, it will weather. But, there is as maintenance free cabinet option if you don't want to stain the cedar.
I understand about the support and agree that is critical. I only have a Hot Springs and Arctic dealer within a couple of hundred miles of me. I was thinking of posting the quote on line here for feedback (I would black out the names).  Part of my concern is that the dealer is supposed to be starting at the MSRP. At least with cars and trucks, I have access to the MSRP. However with these I don't. Any thoughts?

castletonia

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 12:01:23 pm »
I'm not a fan of using MSRP as a point of reference.  All that matters is what you are actually paying.  I have two dealers locally, one a brand that is not very well respected and the other a lesser known, mediocre quality brand.  Both dealers are using a horribly inflated MSRP so they can say "save up to $6,000 or $5,000 off MSRP".  Then, when other manufacturer's use a realistic MSRP, think Hot Spring, Caldera, Marquis, and others I'm sure, then the customer wonders why one dealer is offering such big discounts vs the other dealers. 

I'm sure if you post the prices on here and be specific about what is included, I'm sure Water Boy can at least let you know if you are being taken advantage of.  I could do the same if it was Hot Spring.  No need to mention dealer names, not really relevant.  Also make sure to state if prices are U.S or CAD.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 04:04:05 pm »
What many new buyers don't realize is that you're not simply buying the hot tub and walking away, you're also buying a warranty package from the dealer to service the spa if necessary.

The thing is, every dealer in the country operates on a different profit margin - the cost of living changes greatly depending where you live in the country, as does the cost of operating a business. No dealer is going to care if you say you saw someone pay $1500+ less for the same spa across the country. Hell I visited two different hotspring dealers equidistant from my home and the price for the same make/model/year spa was about 20% cheaper from the one dealer over the other (no haggling necessary, these were their advertised sale prices) - that's because the two dealers had very different business models.

The important thing to remember is that your dealer is going to be the company servicing your spa for any warranty service over the next few years.  You want to ensure you can trust them to do the job right - do they have technicians in-house or do they outsource?  Do those technicians service all spas or just one brand exclusively?  What are the call out charges?   

The dealer you buy from is just as important as the brand.   If you don't like the dealer but like the spa, try looking up any other regional Arctic dealers within 100 miles of your location and give them a call - tell them exactly what you're looking for and ask for a price, sometimes they're happy enough to give a price over the phone without having to drive an hour+ to the showroom.

good points all around, a lot of truths here...the part in bold is funny, I get that once in awhile..."It's $1,000 less in Missouri" and my response is always the same.."Sounds like you're dragging a trailer along and taking a road trip to Missouri, good luck"  8)

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 01:38:52 pm »
Additional thoughts to consider:

-What comes with the spa?  Sometimes "options" at one place are standard at another.  Ex. - Ozone is "thrown in" at one place and is optional at another.  Other times they are again "throwing in" steps and a cover lift when in reality the cost is baked into the retail price.
-What is included with delivery?  Quick electrical connection?  Installing steps and cover lift?
-What sort of payment options are available?  Is the price financed?  Or CC / Check only? 
-Where is the dealer located in conjunction to the factory?  If the dealer is 1000 miles farther than another, they're going to have 1000 miles less of freight built into the cost.
-Is the dealer / salesperson on commission?  You can negotiate for sure if so.

Just some thoughts!  I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 01:38:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42