What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Laptop and Vista are driving me nuts  (Read 4372 times)

apple

Laptop and Vista are driving me nuts
« on: April 17, 2007, 02:24:35 am »
I got a new laptop yesterday and am having a terrible time adjusting to Vista. :( :( I had to retype an e-mail 3 times because I kept accidentally erasing it, and then I couldn't find spell check.  How am I going to lurk on this site and order stuff for my hot tub if I throw my computer out the window before I figure this out.

Hot Tub Forum

Laptop and Vista are driving me nuts
« on: April 17, 2007, 02:24:35 am »

Pathfinder

Re: Laptop and Vista are driving me nuts
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 02:47:03 am »
Your name says it all  you should have bought a mac

Vista does take a large amount of time to get used to and will have issues for a long time if you have a Vista master install disc keep it and go to a tech company and have them remove vista and install Windows XP sp2   its the most stable of windows right now then down the road  when MS comes out with a service pack next year reinstall your  vista  its a pain in the A## but thats the main way people can keep their sanity for a while.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 11:51:01 am »
At least throw in the words "hot tub" in your post, so that it becomes somewhat hot tub related. :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:51:14 am by cooltoy2000 »

tommy tunes

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:28:09 pm »
If I had a computer with Vista, I'd definatly throw it in a hottub to put it out of its misery.  Even my local computer dealer says to stay with XP.  I'll be orderin' my laptop with XP shortly....

Remember, Pc's are like automobiles.  NEVER by the first year of a major design change.  You're only looking for trouble.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 07:49:39 am »
As someone who makes money servicing home computers,(Several of my customers have hot tubs)  Vista takes getting used to and has its quirks, the 2 main problems I have had occured because off the prepackaged Norton Internet Security.  I hate that program on XP, but on Vista it has caused me hours of difficulty.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 09:17:46 am »
My dell notebook with Vista came with Mcafee. It does take some getting used to coming from XP but not a ton. I haven't had any troubles so far even with my camera and dreamweaver software I loaded along with a couple other packages.

apple

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 01:22:15 am »
I wish I could afford a Mac  ;D ;D. I got rid of the Norton right away. It killed my last desktop (thank goodness it was under warranty) and I have been using Trend Micro ever since.  I think alot of my issues are with the laptop itself.  I have never really used one before, and I keep hitting control instead of shift among other things, but I am getting better (I only accidentally erased this post once so far).  I also got Vista for Dummies which has helped alot. Anyhow, I not going to throw it out the window, in the hot tub or anywhere else - at least for today.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 07:54:29 am »
. I got rid of the Norton right away. It killed my last desktop (thank goodness it was under warranty)

Symantec make scoff that that, but I have no doubt.  If my customers have NIS-2005 or 2006 and they get a virus, or severe spyware,  I tell my customers all I will do for them is reformat, reinstall, and restore. I won't even try to clean it up.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 09:45:37 am »
That's funny, Bill since our problem was a weird Norton thing too!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 03:56:54 am »
I'm a computer guy. I have 3 machines at home: XP, Mac OS X 10.4 and Linux (Suse 10.2).  I am most comfortable in Linux (I am a Unix programmer by trade).  I didn't "upgrade" to XP until I had to, and I won't upgrade to Vista until I have to.

My windows machine is for games and the occasional Office file I can't open properly in Mac or Linux.  So unless someone sends me a spreadsheet that office 2003 can't open, or Quake 5 comes out for Vista only, I see no point in upgrading now.

Anyway, on  the "takes some getting used to" front: That's what I love about Linux, no matter the distribution or version, "cd ~/;rm -rf" will still be a bad mistake.  :)

-geekd

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 10:55:00 am »
"cd ~/;rm -rf" will still be a bad mistake.  :)

-geekd

Naw,  my buddy told me that command just tested the disk activity light on my linux machine. I've been waitin' to use it.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

tommy tunes

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 04:16:41 pm »
Ok, so other than the fact it uses up a ton of resources, what is soooo bad about Norton?  I've always used it with no problems whatsoever.  It even caught a worm for me the other day and took care of it.  I was using AVG on another machine, a virus got in that it picked up and when I clicked "ok" to fix it it did something to cause the comp. to never boot up again! One toasted HD!

BTW, I just ordered my new laptop from my dealer yesterday, commin' through with XP and no "retailware" ::) ::) ::)  When I told him that IMO Vista is nothing more than a fancy GUI to compete with the Mac's and serves no real purpose for improved functionality, he pretty much agreed and said there's no reason to upgrade to it at all until Microsoft stops supporting XP(which will happen eventually. He predicts 5 years tops).   On top of that, Vista is a major resource hog. The only machine(laptop) they've seen it run smoothly on had 2 gigs of ram and separate video memory.

So, FWIW, if you're gonna run vista, you've got to have enough machine to run it on.  If you've only got the "retail standard 512mb of ram, you're gonna have some issues.  1.5GB is bare minimum for it to run decently. 8-)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 11:16:26 am »
I thought Vista was a Hot Spring model. ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

autoplay

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 04:02:24 pm »
The only plus I can see to running Vista is having DirectX10 availbility,which in turn requires a vid card that produces such,and,gadgets,if you're into that stuff. Also,Vista will allow you to use beyond 2.8 megs of memory,if a person needs to etc. Win XP currently buffs out under 3 megs,no matter how much ram you have installed in your sys.

I loaded Vista,and 3 hours later,uninstalled it. I'll wait till the bugs are outta it,before I use it. It's resource hungry,which in turn,requires mem.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 04:02:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42