What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anybody use a TDS meter?  (Read 6672 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Anybody use a TDS meter?
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:29:54 am »
I was thinking about picking up a TDS meter for my pool and tub (mostly tub though).

I was thinking about getting a Hana TDS-4 meter that can read up to 9990 PPM TDS. It seems fairly inexpensive to have but would not want to waste my money on a piece of ----!

I was wondering if you do use a TDS meter, what do you think of it,

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Anybody use a TDS meter?
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:29:54 am »

nicker

Re: Anybody use a TDS meter?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 08:35:28 am »
ID also like to know about that. I currently have test strps that I use.  But I do not like test strips.  For a quick test they are OK.  I prefer to use the Taylor Liquid test kits.  Much more accurite and easier to read.  I currently have liquid test kits to test the Clorine, PH, Alk and hardness.  TDS Would be nice.

The test kid you discribe, whats is it about?  I have never heard of it.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:48:14 am »
Hey Vinster,

How much are you looking at for the meter?  I know you change your water every 3-4 months so I'm kinda surprised that you would see the need for the meter for your tub.  For me, TDS is a non-issue with my 4 month water change regimen.  Now for your pool, do you change water in it if TDS is high?  I'm not a pool guy so please forgive my naivete. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 08:51:37 am »
It's actually a meter.

Apparently you just dip it into water and it'll read the TDS of it.

I would assume that every so often you need to calibrate it using a known TDS level. I was planning on buying that also.

I don't know how helpful knowing TDS would be to some people but it is a missing link in my water care especially for my tub. It seems that my water starts misbehaving (mostly foam but fizzing too) at the 1 1/2 month mark. My water comes out of the tap with low calcium and alkalinity and a PH of 6.8. I have no clue what it's TDS reading - apparently the water is from underground aquifiers so there may be a lot of dissolved "stuff" in it.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 09:07:44 am »
Hey Vinster,

How much are you looking at for the meter?  I know you change your water every 3-4 months so I'm kinda surprised that you would see the need for the meter for your tub.  For me, TDS is a non-issue with my 4 month water change regimen.  Now for your pool, do you change water in it if TDS is high?  I'm not a pool guy so please forgive my naivete. 8)

The meter is about $20 with another $5 for the calibration solution. I don't want to waste my money on a useless device, I don't have a problem buying it and I'm sure once I get my water down pat - TDS out of tap is __ PPM, after adding dichlor it goes up ___ TDS ... I won't be using it much. Heck, I will pay $50 for a Taylor kit because of it's usefulness and I go sometimes a week without testing PH and chlorine since I "know" how my tub behaves.

I'm curious about the TDS since I have never gotten to that 3 month mark except for this water change. BUT I haven't been using the tub that often (once every week or two) and I still get fizzy water and foam.

I keep my calcium between 150 and 200 and my PH between 7.2 (sometimes dips to 6.8 ) and 7.8 and I don't check alkalinity as my PH stays pretty steady - it drifts down slowly (month) so I assume my alkalinity is OK.

As for the pool, I have to drain about 1/4 of it every September to winterize it. I don't think most pools in a cool environment have  too much of a problem with TDS since they get winterized.

Just looking to justify the $25 vs buying a case of beer! :D ;D

nicker

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 09:37:51 am »
screw the meter, where can I get a case a beer for in Canada for $25.00  8)

I hear you on the TDS, lately my water has not been what it use to be now mind you some of my chemicle brands have changed.    

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 11:32:00 am »
Just have your dealer test it if you need to find out your number.  By changing your water so often, TDS should really not be an issue.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 11:49:28 am »
Hey vinny, it sounds like a neat idea to be able to test your own water for TDS when ever you want.   For $25. I 'd be interested if it works.

I wonder, what method do the pro's use in thier shops?

I found this article, http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/index.php

Which talks about how these meters work and what they will and will not measure.

Are these appropriate for a hot tub?
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 12:00:47 pm »
Hey Vinster,

If it was inexpensive it might be interesting to try. I also change my water every 3- 4 months.  But I'm a proponent of partial changes to extend that life.  I frequently remove 75-100 gallons and refill in cold weather.  I'd be curious to see how much that actually effects TSD levels.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 12:50:53 pm »
Hey vinny, it sounds like a neat idea to be able to test your own water for TDS when ever you want.   For $25. I 'd be interested if it works.

I wonder, what method do the pro's use in thier shops?

I found this article, http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/index.php

Which talks about how these meters work and what they will and will not measure.

Are these appropriate for a hot tub?

Thanks! Interesting article - I would think that what ever is used for aquariums would be good for tubs, even the Taylor kit.

After reading the article, I am not surprised to see what it doesn't read - but I didn't know how a TDS meter works.

It would seem that anything in the water (ex: chloramines) that aren't charged either way won't read -I would imagine a tub full of ozone (if that's possible) would read extemely high in TDS - good thing I turned mine off! ;) ;D

I know that when I went to Leslie's Pools years ago when I first opened my pool they tested for TDS using a meter and it wasn't a lab quality meter at that.

I guess ultimately it will read some of the TDS in the tub but not all. After reading that article, I doubt it will give a true reading of TDS ... OK, it's time to buy that case of beer! :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 12:50:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42