What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis and Consumers Digest  (Read 1868 times)

fatman

Marquis and Consumers Digest
« on: June 24, 2006, 08:37:27 am »
According to Pool and Spa news, Marquis signed a licensing agreement with Consumers Digest to use their "Best Buy" rating on the Epic.  Marquis already has an outstanding reputation. Why did they feel it necessary to buy a rating?

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis and Consumers Digest
« on: June 24, 2006, 08:37:27 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Marquis and Consumers Digest
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 09:48:40 am »
All manufacturers who use the Consumer Digest awards must pay a license fee to do so. That is how CD can operate. It works this way, from what I have been told:

CD looks at a product - mostly from brochures, written warranties, product information, company history, comsumer complaints, BBB and the like - and decides which ones are good, better, best. Then they tell those companies that they have selected one or more of their products as a "Best Buy" or whatever.

IF you wish to use our registered trademarks and other licensed items in your advertising to let folks know about this award, you must pay us $X for the right to do so.

As I understand it, a company cannot simply send in money and be granted an award.

Also, some companies choose not to participate. HS, for example, has been awarded five times on record. That is more than any other tub maker. But they were awarded and chose not to participate more than that.

Take it for what it's worth, but as far as I know, you can't just open the checkbook and buy this one award.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 10:10:04 am »
The Epic replaced the Euphoria in the line-up.  The Euphoria was the most recent "Best Buy".  Until Consumer's Digest takes another look at spas,
manufacturers' models that were named "Best Buys" are considered current Best Buys.  Marquis showed Consumer's Digest the improvements that had been made in the Epic, over the Euphoria, and were allowed to use the Best Buy designation for the Epic - since the Euphoria is no longer in the line-up. I believe Consumer's Digest is set to take another look at spas next year and award new Best Buys in each category.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 11:14:04 am »
Chas...does great job of detailing what the rating is...You can not buy it....but you do pay for the right to USE IT.....IN THE EXCAT same way  'JD POWER" is used or the "GOOD HOUSING SEAL OF APPROVAL"....its all about marketing...I personally do put much stock into it....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 11:14:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42