What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Technology  (Read 15128 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Cover Technology
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 04:23:04 pm »
This isn't a new or exciting design or anything, but I will mention that HS offers a heavy-duty cover which substitutes a 2# density core.

BTW - Robert's Hot Tubs makes a great cover: heavier vinyl than most, better wrapping than most, good color selection, etc.

Now, who was it who was offering a baked core - or a core formed in a mold or something like that? They claimed it was SO much better - why? I don't know.

Input on that?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 04:23:04 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 06:41:53 pm »
Mendo,
3 year warranty? I wonder why my dealer didn't mention that... I may have to look into this further.

Phil

You can ask but the warranty covers manufactures defects and you broke it so I doubt they will cover it and why should they.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 09:17:15 pm »
The Marquis Duracover will support up to 200 lbs.  I don't get on it - I'm 250, but have seen 200-225 lb salesmen walk across it without ill effects.  
The cover is covered by a 3 year warranty on Marquis models.  If the stitching is coming out it is covered.
I do not open my cover by the sewn in handles, there is too much stress on the handles caused by the vacuum seal of the cover.  I lift up on the steam skirt, then lift the cover up by the handle after the seal has been broken.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 09:30:49 pm »
, but have seen 200-225 lb salesmen walk across it without ill effects.  .

That should read without VISIBLE ill effects.  I can drink 10 beers in 5 minutes with no visible effects.  Unless you hang around a little while.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006, 09:47:51 pm »
You can ask but the warranty covers manufactures defects and you broke it so I doubt they will cover it and why should they.

I'll tell you why, Gary, because the stitching came apart at the handle. That 's the only reason I would want to have it replaced. Now, it's true I wasn't "breaking the seal" before opening the cover but nowhere in the manual nor did my dealer tell me that this is the correct and approved method of opening the cover.
So whose fault is that? Mine? I don't think so. I saw the handle. I know what handles do and I used the handle. I don't see how you can find fault with that. I think the company does have some responsibility to make it clearer. How about a "break seal before opening cover" warning somewhere in the manual? They have plenty of other warnings already there! ;D

And now that I know the proper method of opening the cover on my tub, that's now the process I use. I do wish I knew about that earlier. :'(

Phil  
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 12:48:52 am »
Has anyone seen the new systems they use for backpack weight belts?  They can heat-mold them to your body for a totally custom fit.  It'd be neat if they could develop a material for spas that could be wrapped around the edges and heat-molded to produce an absolutely perfect fit.  Even if you only did it in leiu of flaps, it'd provide a great seal.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/custom_molding/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 12:49:26 am by mattNY »

MarKee

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2006, 01:17:29 am »
NE-Phil,

You might see if your dealer will warranty it, if not you might try calling Marquis.  Another option would be to take it to an upholestry place or something, it couldn't be more than $50 to repair that.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 07:18:57 am »
This isn't a new or exciting design or anything, but I will mention that HS offers a heavy-duty cover which substitutes a 2# density core.

With all due respect you deserve, and admittedly asking out of total ignorance (my personal specialty) Does a heavier density core mean anything to a consumer? I've not seen the foam wearing out. The three or four bad covers I've seen are water logged foam problems. Of course I've owned a tub for only 3 years. Perhaps the heavier duty foam is a benefit further down the road. I always have a lifter, maybe this is a benefit for people who regularly lift their covers off by hand?

BTW - Robert's Hot Tubs makes a great cover: heavier vinyl than most, better wrapping than most, good color selection, etc.

Heavier vinyl sounds good, Doc, tell me about better wrapping, this would seem an important step in keeping water out.   Could something like double stitching help?

I'm a year into my 2nd cover, and I hope to at least get another year or two out of it.   This weekend I'm visiting my friend with the 4 year old Cal spa, he replaced his cover with one from RHT. I'll have to give it a closer look.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 10:37:13 am »
Not too long ago, I read on this forum that Marquis' covers are made by http://www.sunstarcovers.com/

And Bonibelle, I was also told how strong the Marquis cover is but I have found they are not indestructible. The salesman who sold us our Marquis made it a point to stand on it so we could see it could bear weight. I neglected to take into consideration he's a fly-weight. :-[
Last month, I was wiping off the pollen on my cover. I was on all fours with my cleaning rag when I heard a crack :o in the vicinity of the spine of the cover - where it folds in half. I got off immediately and checked it out. I can't find a physical break but ever since then I have lost that vacuum seal you're talking about. There''s a slight warp to the cover now and if I want all four corners to lay flat I have to use the buckles.
I guess I should have known better. I'm no light-weight but I didn't expect that to happen.
::) Live and Learn...

Phil  

No where in this statement did you mention the straps pulled out. If the straps pulled out than they will replace it for you, but being that you also have a broke core that you broke you should be honest and except some responsibility of the cost. Maybe Marquis good enough to cover it all. If they do let us know.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 10:55:13 am »
To be perfectly fair, I think Marquis should not use the weight support feature as a sales point as the literature from the cover manufacturer states that you should not walk on it..or do anything on it... I was the first to tout the walk on feature, because I was told the cover was that strong. Phil's dealer would have served him much better to have said what my tech did at delivery...break the seal by lifting the corners and don't use the handles. I can imagine a cover that doesn't make that seal could easily be lifted using the handles.

Phil, I added the cover lifter supports from Doc. The are just two straps that attach to the front of the cover and the center coverlifter bar. They  distribute the stress of the weight of the cover when you remove it. They may be of help to you if your cover insulation is not strong because of the crack.
I think  if you approached the situation correctly, you will get help with the torn handles.  But again Marquis sales people should not contradict the manufacturer's instructions...:-/ :-/ what's fair is fair...
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 10:59:48 am »
I'd never walk or stand on my cover (even if it was a flush mount install).

I agree with all the posts that there seems to be a lot of room for improvement and advacement in cover technology. We have beaten an entire heard of horses to death over insualtion and energy efficientcy, yet it seems the top of the tub, as well as the bottom of the tub could use significant improvements.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 11:05:49 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 11:03:55 am »

With all due respect you deserve, and admittedly asking out of total ignorance (my personal specialty) Does a heavier density core mean anything to a consumer? I've not seen the foam wearing out. The three or four bad covers I've seen are water logged foam problems. Of course I've owned a tub for only 3 years. Perhaps the heavier duty foam is a benefit further down the road. I always have a lifter, maybe this is a benefit for people who regularly lift their covers off by hand?

Covers can/do sag over time and collect water on the top, especially if the spa is a bigger one. The higher density foam core should give it more rigidity to help in that respect. Also, I'd expect a 2# density foam core would insulate better than a 1.5# or 1.0#.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 11:08:14 am »
Drew you scare me...We think too much alike. I want to know about the bottom insulation as well. I have been thinking about installs on decks opposed to on the ground (pads or gravel etc) I would think that an install on the ground would provide better insulating value than a deck since the bottom of a tub on a deck  is subject to air temps (and since that area is shaded, possibly retain cold more). I was actually thinking of putting rigid foam under my deck, just wondering about the water that would accumulate and probably freeze...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2006, 11:16:01 am »
Drew you scare me...We think too much alike. I want to know about the bottom insulation as well. I have been thinking about installs on decks opposed to on the ground (pads or gravel etc) I would think that an install on the ground would provide better insulating value than a deck since the bottom of a tub on a deck  is subject to air temps (and since that area is shaded, possibly retain cold more). I was actually thinking of putting rigid foam under my deck, just wondering about the water that would accumulate and probably freeze...

Or, if you are not on a deck, and like me, the tub is sitting on the cold frozen ground.  

Condesation and drainaige would be an issue with wrapping the bottom, but I think an interesting project.

I'd start by putting a vapor barrier on the bottom of the tub, and then beef up the bottom with insulating foam. ?
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2006, 11:46:04 am »
Drew I am willing to bet the ground under your tub doesn't freeze at all...there are probably party worms under there thinking they are in Florida all year!  think about it the ground is dense and therefore a better material to retain the heat. My deck is like a bridge...you know "Caution bridge surfaces freeze before roads" or whatever those signs say...Hey guys, seriously there is plenty of room for foam in the walls of the tub, but how much on the bottom?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2006, 11:46:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42