What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Technology  (Read 15125 times)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Re: Cover Technology
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 11:13:42 pm »
Phil,
 Your cover is warrantied for three years actually ,  I think its among the longest in the industry ....that being said....I never find a real need to use the handles....but if you do make sure you lift up on the flap/skirt to break the seal that it forms....it will put less stress on your handle.....

Mendo,
3 year warranty? I wonder why my dealer didn't mention that... I may have to look into this further.
Really though. Why does a manufacturer bother sewing on handles if they're not meant to be used? It would save them $ and possibly us if they just didn't bother.
Or is that too obvious? ???

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 11:13:42 pm »

anne

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 01:59:15 am »
I dont know what my arctic cover is made of, but it is not 8" thick, by any means- proabably 4". It is heavy, tho.
Dance like nobody's watching

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 07:09:34 am »
Mendo,
3 year warranty? I wonder why my dealer didn't mention that... I may have to look into this further.
Really though. Why does a manufacturer bother sewing on handles if they're not meant to be used? It would save them $ and possibly us if they just didn't bother.
Or is that too obvious? ???

Phil

People with shelves like the handles as once you fold the cover over in half you can use the handles to pull it on to the shelf.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 11:20:43 am »
By the way, as I understand it, the only difference with the Arctic covers is they use a 3# density foam (most likely it's a "nominal" 3#, and is actually 2.8#). Most other spa manufacturers use a 1# density foam. The 3# foam has FOUR times the strength as the 1# foam......... and weighs 3 times as much........ It also insulates 25% better (comparing equal thincknesses).

Hmmm, covers seem to be the forgotten part of the spa.

1# density covers? I thought most all spa makers were using 1˝# or 2# density covers!?

What is the density of the Marquis covers?

What other spa makers does Sunstar make covers for?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 12:12:21 pm »
Spatech..the # stuff means nothing to me since I don't know how it relates to insulating value. My SunStar warranty says that my Marquis cover with the super heat seal gasket design has an R12/R13.2 insulating value. I don't know how that compares with other covers or even the full foam insulation in a tub.  I added a spa blanket because I read that the closed cell blanket adds another 4-6 R factor. The warranty also states clearly DO NOT walk, sit, crawl, jump, place objects etc on the cover. and Phil, the warranty is non-pro-rated for 3 years. I will PM you the info.. ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 12:33:33 pm »
Something to keep in mind............. Just because a cover manufacturers "normal" cover is 1.5#, doesn't mean that is what they're supplying to the spa manufacturer. Our "normal" cover is 1.5#, and we offer a 2# and 3# option. HOWEVER, we also supply covers to a few spa manufacturers. And, we supply what THEY specify (generally in the interest of saving money). ALL of the OEM covers we make are 1#.... and one manufacturer is considering going down to 3/4# foam.

Come to me with a PO for 10,000 covers, and I'll make anything you want............ heck, for 1000 I'll custom make whatever you want.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

MarKee

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 12:58:24 pm »
Sunstar makes the Marquis DuraCover.  It is a 2 pound foam with a 4" to 2" taper.

NE-Phil:  Out of the 1000s of Marquis Spas the store I work for has sold, I have had issues with the handles maybe 3 times.  Because of the way we mold our shell with the splash guard coping, our wide corner radius, and the way the cover vacuum seals onto the shell, you must break that seal before you lift up on the handle.  All you have to do is go to the corner of the spa, pull up the flap and lift up on the cover, then lift the handle and you'll see that it's a lot easier.  Maybe Marquis could get rid of that vacuum seal and cost you more money in electricity if you would like the handle to work better.  

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 01:03:31 pm »
Come to me with a PO for 10,000 covers, and I'll make anything you want............ heck, for 1000 I'll custom make whatever you want.

The two covers I have had were 92x92" 5-3 taper. On the bottom of each cover half (water side) is a hole the size of a paper punch. Its exposes the inner plastic liner directly to the chlorine gas.  I imagine that is there so air can escape when the cover opens and closes? ???

I would think there would be a better way.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 01:04:13 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 01:14:28 pm »
The hole is actually there to allow condensation and water to drip out. Without it, the cover will fill with water in a very short time (about 1 month).

If the hole is not in the exact center of the cover, you'll also get water puddling in there (hence, it can't be move to the outside of the cover).

The two covers I have had were 92x92" 5-3 taper. On the bottom of each cover half (water side) is a hole the size of a paper punch. Its exposes the inner plastic liner directly to the chlorine gas.  I imagine that is there so air can escape when the cover opens and closes? ???

I would think there would be a better way.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 01:38:53 pm »
Sunstar makes the Marquis DuraCover.  

Maybe Marquis could get rid of that vacuum seal  

How is there any kind of vacuum seal? I guess I just have trouble seeing the term "vacuum" in the sentence. I know Sunstar makes a lot of covers in the indusry but what's so different about the Sunstar cover?

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 01:53:12 pm »

How is there any kind of vacuum seal? I guess I just have trouble seeing the term "vacuum" in the sentence. I know Sunstar makes a lot of covers in the indusry but what's so different about the Sunstar cover?

Tech,
it is a combination of things a linear heat seal where the cover folds does not allow for any heat loss at the seam, also the larger corners on a Marquis spa along with the coved edge does in fact create a 'Tupperware" like seal...If you get a chance to stop by a Marquis dealer do so....You can than see for yourself that's its real....bottom line is Marquis has it built to their spec's and it's a very nice cover......any maker who wants to spend the dollars can do the same thing and I am sure many others do.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 01:59:20 pm »
Tech,
 it is a combination of things a linear heat seal where the cover folds does not allow for any heat loss at the seam, also the larger corners on a Marquis spa along with the coved edge does in fact create a 'Tupperware" like seal...If you get a chance to stop by a Marquis dealer do so....You can than see for yourself that's its real....bottom line is Marquis has it built to their spec's and it's a very nice cover......any maker who wants to spend the dollars can do the same thing and I am sure many others do.

Good idea, I'll check it out. I still don't think the word "vacuum" is appropirate but I think I know what you guys are talking about.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 02:03:37 pm »

I still don't think the word "vacuum" is appropirate but I think I know what you guys are talking about.

No one wants to admit their spa "sucks".......... the cover down.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 02:07:40 pm »

Good idea, I'll check it out. I still don't think the word "vacuum" is appropirate but I think I know what you guys are talking about.

lol...you know this just might be one of those times you are surprised because it is very real and does in fact form a vacuum like seal.....hey doc....I am sure your covers also "suck".... ;)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 02:11:51 pm »
lol...you know this just might be one of those times you are surprised because it is very real and does in fact form a vacuum like seal.....hey doc....I am sure your covers also "suck".... ;)

I know what you mean. If it seals well you will have to break that "seal" and I agree that it's easier to do so from the corner (which is how I think most people open their covers).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 02:11:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42