What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Re: 1st summer with my hot tub  (Read 20112 times)

Brookenstein

Re: 1st summer with my hot tub
« on: June 03, 2006, 10:56:48 pm »
This is our fist summer with the tub too.  We've had it set for 98 the last couple weeks and just in the last couple days that seems to be too hot.  We will probably switch it to summer mode tomorrow and then see what happens.  I was hoping to have it cool enough to use as a pool during the day with the kids, but I don't see that working.

Hot Tub Forum

« on: June 03, 2006, 10:56:48 pm »

Gil

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 11:42:37 pm »
This is also my first summer with my tub.  Here's what I've found with my temperature settings so far.  Regardless of how low I have the temp. set, my tub will not go below 99 degrees unless the cover is cracked open a small amount.  I've chosen not to set it to summer mode, I want the circ. pump running 24/7.  This may not cause a problem but I've seen several pool issues causes by lack of filtration and I'd rather not try it at this point.

Take Care,
Gil  

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 01:52:56 am »
The same temp as the winter. Get a pool if you don't want a HOT tub.
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 07:03:25 am »
try it between 90-99. 80 is too cold for a spa you'll be borderline hypothermic in 10-15mins. 90-95 will still cool you off on a hot day. may provide a place to escape the craziness of the pool. 98-100 will still provide a hot tub feel without driving you out because it's too hot.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 07:12:23 am »
I got my tub last summer in the middle of the heat wave.  I read an article last year on hot tubs and it suggested not dropping the water below 98 due to bacteria growth that begins to grow at cooler temps.  The article said that 98 was safe.

I kept mine at 97 to 98 all last summer during the heat wave and we went in at night.  When we got out we felt so refreshed and cool from the nice night.  We used it more in the summer than in the winter. Mind you my wife has been pregnant since october and she couldnt use it.

Summer tubbing is awsome, dont forget the average temp at indoor pools is 94 to 96 at community centres.  That is nice so you will be fine.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 08:03:05 am »
Welcome to our forum. I'm sure Drewski didn't mean to be snotty. As a 20 year vet of the internet you can't always judge intention or emotion in written text.  Though like Drewski's probable intent, our tub never goes below 101.  Part of that might be where you live. Where do you live? Here in Ohio, even on hot 90+ days it still cools off at night and we do our relaxing soaks at night.  I just recently backed it down to 102 from the usual 104. I may crank it back to 101 if we get  a long term hot spell.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 08:34:22 am »
I agree with Drewski. Why would you want to lower your temp in the summer. The point is it is a HOT tub isn't it? I find it is most relaxing in the early morning or late in the evening.  Also Bosco0633, don't know where your pools are but here in upstate NY the temps for most pools are in the mid 80's and that is considered to be very warm here.

cappy2449

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 09:32:06 am »
like myself..many people on this forum never had a hot tub before and are learning...i like the temp on my pool to be around 82....just ordered my chairman ll, and had no idea at what temp it should be at...i was just going to use trial and error..

luvmytub

• Just a completely ingnorant newbie owner, 05 Envoy
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 09:39:28 am »
I was worried about not using mine in the heat.  But, I turned it down to 100 a little over a week ago.  The temp hasn't slowed down my use at all.  In fact yesterday afternoon was around 95 outside and I spent over an hour in the tub.  It was great.
Go Bobby Labonte!  #43...Let's go racin'!

Brookenstein

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 10:18:56 am »
Just because one sets the tub to 80 doesn't mean the tub will ever get to 80.  We've been in the upper 90's for over a week.  My understanding is that being in summer mode will not lower the temp below the ambient air temp.  I have young children and lots of critters... I don't feel that leaving my cover propped is a safe alternative, thus I'm going to try summer mode.  Lately 98-99 had been a perfect temp when it was say 70ish out at night... last night it never cooled past 78 all night so I think that is too hot.  JMO.

jcmsrv

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 10:47:04 am »
Hi,
We are in Northern MA, on the NH boarder and we do have our share on 90+ weather. My hot tub is set at 104 year-round. We usually ise at night after 10:00 and it has cooled off. I tried lower temps, but really like 104. It is just myself and wife, kids grown and gone. Same setting whenever we have hot tub party, all our friends loved it being hot. All our parties were from Nov to Jan.

john

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 05:20:21 pm »
I'm keeping mine at 98. I like to sit in there for an hour or so and can't stay that long if it's above 100.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 11:02:38 pm »
I agree with Drewski. Why would you want to lower your temp in the summer. The point is it is a HOT tub isn't it?

Hate to disappoint you, thearm, but just because we call it a "hot" tub doesn't mean we all enjoy our tubs with the same temp settings as you.  Currently mine is set at 97 and I'll probably lower it to at least 96 before the summer is over.  Like you, early morning and sundown or after are the preferred soaking times.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that everyone should share your preferences.......it just won't happen.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 11:33:16 pm »
I have a pool as well. Why such a snotty reply? Wake up on the wrong side of the lion?

Gosh, I'm sorry! I thought you liked it short and sweet:

Ask your dealer and read your owners manual.

Any questions?

;)

Drewski
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 07:05:27 am »
We prefer our hot (warm?) tub at 96-97 in the summer, 99-100 in the winter. My swimming pool feels best on a hot day around 80, but for midnight swims, I like it a few degrees warmer.

But if the tub goes below 95, with the jets on, it actually feels "cold"

You will find out soon enough that only one temp is best for you... the one YOU prefer.

Also it depends on how long you want to soak. We like sitting in our tub for an hour + at a time. A friend of mine boasts that he keeps his tub at 104+ degrees. But he can't stay in it for more than 15 minutes, his wife hates it so hot, and in the summer time, he drains the damn thing dry!

Drewski lives in the same town as I, has his tub outdoors, compared to mine indoors. Don't know what temp he keeps his at, but summertime in Tidewater is hot and humid. If he can sit in a 102-degree tub, outside, in the summer round here, more power to him!   ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 07:16:06 am by johnvb »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 07:05:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42