What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot weather:  need to prop open cover?  (Read 5970 times)

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
Hot weather:  need to prop open cover?
« on: May 30, 2006, 09:42:18 am »
Hi all!

Just wondering if it's necessary to prop open the cover a bit when temps rise into the 80's and higher.  

Thought I read here a while back something about that but cannot find the thread.  

If so, why and for what length of time?  

TIA!
Better than I deserve...

Hot Tub Forum

Hot weather:  need to prop open cover?
« on: May 30, 2006, 09:42:18 am »

Brookenstein

Re: Hot weather:  need to prop open cover?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 10:30:30 am »
I think it depends how hot you want your tub.  We've had weather into the 80's and 90's the last few weeks.  When the tub was set for 101 it got up to 103, so we propped it for afternoon to get it down.  We have had it set at 100 now and it doesn't seem to get over 101.  Today looks like a very very hot day, so I may need to lower the temp and start propping soon.

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 10:42:22 am »
I think it depends how hot you want your tub.  We've had weather into the 80's and 90's the last few weeks.  When the tub was set for 101 it got up to 103, so we propped it for afternoon to get it down.  We have had it set at 100 now and it doesn't seem to get over 101.  Today looks like a very very hot day, so I may need to lower the temp and start propping soon.

So, the only reason you prop open the cover is to regulate the temp.  Ok...now that you mention it, we had our first 90+ degree day yesterday and the temp did get up over the set temp.  

Thanks Brook.
Better than I deserve...

blakley33

• skin to win...in my tub!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 10:48:57 am »
I was having same problem and had my tub set at 98 and it was reading 100-101. It has been in the low 90's here off and on.
will prop cover, Thanks.

georgiapeach

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 02:06:55 pm »
Hi all!

Just wondering if it's necessary to prop open the cover a bit when temps rise into the 80's and higher.  

Thought I read here a while back something about that but cannot find the thread.  

If so, why and for what length of time?  

TIA!

I prop my cover with 2 Tennis Balls; The temp here has been around 92 the few days and I have my hot tub set at 100 and it was 104 the other night; a bit too warm for me, during this time of year.  I leave it propped all summer once the temps stay steady in the 90's.  Works great for me!  

Peachy

salesdvl

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 02:42:53 pm »
I've never heard of a reason to prop open the cover.  My thought is the water would evaporate and you'd have to add water to refill.  If ours gets too hot I just drag the hose over and put in an inch or 2 of cold water.  Once when I needed to cool it down quick I dumped our auto ice maker tray in.  Kids thought I was nuts but it dropped the temp a couple of degrees in a hurry.
Measure once, cut twice.

georgiapeach

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 07:29:29 am »
I have to add a little water about once a week anyway, whether I prop the cover or not, especially when the weather starts getting warmer; it seems to evaporate more quickly in the summer months.  I got the idea of propping the cover from this forum, last summer.  It's worked well for me.

Peachy

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 12:49:05 pm »
I'm a newbie at this.  Don't even have my hot tub yet but wouldn't it just be simpler to set the temperature lower during the summer?
'06 Majesta

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 12:56:52 pm »
I'm a newbie at this.  Don't even have my hot tub yet but wouldn't it just be simpler to set the temperature lower during the summer?

What happens Dsegal the sumemr heat and the  heat gernerated from the pumps (from filtering) can cause the insualted tub to go above the lowest setting.
07 Caldera Geneva

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 01:08:33 pm »
Oh!  Duh, I didn't know there was a lowest setting!!!! :P
'06 Majesta

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 01:11:27 pm »

The water temp was 100. I set mine for 94 degrees.  I left it covered and came back 6 hours later.  The water temp was 99.

Looks as if I'll have to open the cover a bit in order to drop the temperature on real hot and sunny days.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 01:14:45 pm »
HotSpring tubs have a "Summer Mode" switch. You turn it on and the circ pump stops for eight hours. You are supposed to turn it on at the start of the hottest period of the day, and it will kill the circ pump from that moment every day for eight hours. If the heat is needed during that time, it will come on as needed, but it is rarely needed or you wouldn't be turning the summer switch on.

The circ pump puts a small amount of heat into the water - and that can run the temp up in hot weather since the tub is so well insulated. And filtered...

:)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

shabba34

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 01:26:03 pm »
Many spas have summer settings that allow for less filtration or circulation during the warmer hours of the day.  I set my summer timer and my spa maintains 101 deg without any thermal creaping.  I tend to use a little more chlorine due to the ozone system shutting down for 8 hours during the day.  It's better then getting into 106 deg water when it's 98 deg outside.

Sorry to reiterate what Chas already stated....Didn't see his post. :)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:27:36 pm by pkud »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 02:29:50 pm »
I sell cover props. They are plastic and will hold your cover open the ideal amount.

$25 a piece.   (+S&H)  Please let me know your tub, the size of your cover and CC #.

These will not negativly affect your water chemistry as other more exspeisive cover props  might. They are compatable on virtually all hot tubs and will not void the warrenty.

Please PM  me if you'd like to order one.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 02:30:49 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

georgiapeach

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 02:58:10 pm »
Tennis balls work good too and they are cheap!  :-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 02:58:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42