What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Type 2 diabetes and hot tubs  (Read 3498 times)

96SC

Type 2 diabetes and hot tubs
« on: May 17, 2006, 11:02:23 am »
I have done a 'search' on previous threads but haven't seen this addressed.  

There has been recent information from the ADA (American Diabetes Assoc.) that soaking in a hot tub for 30 minutes a day, six days a week for three weeks may reduce ones blood sugar (bs) by an average of 13%.  Of course if someone has good control of their bs it's not going to make them bottom out, but a person who has high bs, it may help.

Does anyone have first hand experience in lowering bs by soaking?

(This info came to me via Spasearch magazine)
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

Type 2 diabetes and hot tubs
« on: May 17, 2006, 11:02:23 am »

shabba34

Re: Type 2 diabetes and hot tubs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 11:17:53 am »
I have done a 'search' on previous threads but haven't seen this addressed.  

There has been recent information from the ADA (American Diabetes Assoc.) that soaking in a hot tub for 30 minutes a day, six days a week for three weeks may reduce ones blood sugar (bs) by an average of 13%.  Of course if someone has good control of their bs it's not going to make them bottom out, but a person who has high bs, it may help.

Does anyone have first hand experience in lowering bs by soaking?

(This info came to me via Spasearch magazine)
My Father has Type 2 and regularly uses hot tub therapy as well as a strict diet regiment to regulate his blood sugars.  Not enough to replace his meds, but it does help. ;)  

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 11:18:56 am »
I'm not sure the information is all that new. There's a copy of two different articles here (The New England Journal of Medicine and  Diabtets Health Magazine), but they're from 1999

http://www.rhtubs.com/diabetes.htm
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:14:48 pm »
I'm doing all I can to avoid commenting on high BS.  My problem is blood pressure, and it definitely helps.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

96SC

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 01:00:46 pm »
Doc Spa,  thanks for the link to the articles.  I guess, like the Geico pitchman, I 'need to do a little more research', before saying this is new information.

Thanks again .

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 01:08:19 pm »
Nothing on bs levels, but I have thisl

I have sold tubs to two diabetic individuals who enjoyed great benefit regarding blood circulation in their feet. One of them was in danger of losing a foot - he began using the foot jets in his spa, and never did lose it.

The other was ecouraged by thier doc to 'get out and walk,' but it simply hurt too much to do so. After a few months using the tub once or twice a day, they were able to begin walking with manageble pain - some days they reported no pain at all. The circulation improved so much that they also never had trouble with their feet again, but it was credited mostly to being able to do the walking.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 01:32:36 pm »
Nothing on bs levels, but I have thisl

I have sold tubs to two diabetic individuals who enjoyed great benefit regarding blood circulation in their feet. One of them was in danger of losing a foot - he began using the foot jets in his spa, and never did lose it.

The other was ecouraged by thier doc to 'get out and walk,' but it simply hurt too much to do so. After a few months using the tub once or twice a day, they were able to begin walking with manageble pain - some days they reported no pain at all. The circulation improved so much that they also never had trouble with their feet again, but it was credited mostly to being able to do the walking.

interesting as I am sure the walking helped but the tub I am sure played a important role as well.

96SC

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 02:05:20 pm »

On the subject of a doctor's recommendation, did he write your customers a prescription?  I wonder what insurance companies would say if they received a claim for an $8000 hot tub for medicinal use?

Any of you know how insurance would handle this?

alwaysperky

• Hail the flashlight king!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 11:36:31 pm »
Everyone happy with the rates they pay for health insurance?  Think paying for spas will reduce them?

Regardless of an Rx from a Dr. the health insurance contract would specifically exclude the spa.  Sorry gang!

It would be cool for the Dr. though cause it'd be a nice revenue source for the Dr.'s office.
  • Flu shots
  • Annual Exams
  • Spas, bikes, club memberships

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 11:36:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42