What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Filters  (Read 18020 times)

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
Re: Sundance Filters
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 07:35:44 am »
How big is 5 microns anyway?

Approximately half the thickness of a human hair.  
Better than I deserve...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 07:35:44 am »

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 07:37:50 am »
SanDiego,
We have had customers averaging about 10 - 11 months on the MicroClean II. The MicroClean II is one piece blue filter ($100 here at my store).

Brewman has the MicroClean I, which is the 2 piece system.

Luvin,
You have neither, if you have an '05 Bahia you have the 125 sq. ft. pleated filter. If cleaned every 4 - 6 weeks it should last a couple of years or more.

Skellman,
You are not gullible for believing that, 'cause it's true!!
It's not that they don't have to be cleaned, it's that you can't clean them. A traditional filter is "surface loading" so you can clean the surface. The MicroClean is "depth loading" (the particulants are trapped inside the filter) so cleaning the surface will do you little good.

Hope I helped.

I echo the thanks.  Good info.  I do realize what filter I have but my issue is that on at least 4 web sites, the filter they show for my tub ISN'T the one that's in there now, even docs site.  Not sure why no one can get it right????  
Better than I deserve...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 02:38:03 pm »
I don't want to start a flame war here but I agree with spatech. I wanted a Sundace Optima but didn't like the idea of throwing away a $100 filter. I guess there's always compromises in life. I have to clean five Tri-X filters in my HS spa. For some that may be a downside, but for me it hasn't been an issue yet. By the way, what micron level are the Tri-X filters rated at?

There is no right and wrong here. Some would prefer the disposable for it's ease of use and if that's the case and they don't mind the cost, more power to them. I'd just prefer to clean and reuse rather than toss away, plus I'm a coupon clipping type of guy so it would be a double whammy for me.

With a regular filter you should have no issue getting 2˝ years use from your filter with a replacement cost of about $50. Over that same time frame you'd spend about $300 on disposable filters (assuming they last about 9 months at $90 per filter). I certainly can see both sides so this certainly isn't a case of which way is best but rather which way each person prefers.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 04:20:53 pm »
I don't want to start a flame war here but I agree with spatech. I wanted a Sundace Optima but didn't like the idea of throwing away a $100 filter. I guess there's always compromises in life.

You don't have to use the Microclean II filter.  You could always use a conventional pleated filter and clean it.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 04:35:26 pm »

You don't have to use the Microclean II filter.  You could always use a conventional pleated filter and clean it.

Very good, that's what I was wondering.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 08:48:42 pm »
A Tri-X filter can filter down to how many microns?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 12:28:50 am »
A Tri-X filter can filter down to how many microns?

Does anyone know the answer to this?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Ronnie526

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 06:29:16 am »
SpaTech .... I have an '05 Optima.  It came with the blue Microclean(?) filter.  My dealer sells both the Microclean replacement filter (app $100), and also a paper pleated filter (app $70).  Only thing I would add to this topic is that my original Microclean filter collapsed after about 1 month.  I'm assuming that it was because there was a LOT of stuff in my original fill water, including about a quadruple dose of liquid aroma, which probably plugged the filter & excess suction from trying to pull through it, collapsed it.  No water quality problems whatsoever, tho, in the 8 months I've had the tub, so I'm not too concerned!

anne

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 11:18:08 am »

Though hymba stated the MCII is the ONLY filter, I thought I read somewhere that there was an alternative.  Can anyone else confirm?

AP

There is a company called Micropure- they make a similar thing, but I have no idea if it would fit Sundance. Supposedly filter down to one micron, last 3-5 months and cost $25-30.
Dance like nobody's watching

hymbaw

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 11:25:34 am »
Anne,
I believe they are refering to the 125 sq. ft. traditional pleated filter that Sundance used in the past. They are the same size as the Microclean II, so they do fit. They are not reccomended.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 11:40:06 am »
Anne,
I believe they are refering to the 125 sq. ft. traditional pleated filter that Sundance used in the past. They are the same size as the Microclean II, so they do fit. They are not reccomended.

Why aren't they recommended if they fit. Didn't they filter just fine previously? I thought that was a perfectly fine alternative if you don't want to be buying new filters every 9 months for $90 (therefore $10/month on disposable filters when you can use a traditional one for about 3 yrs at about $2/month)?

Am I misinterpreting something?

hymbaw

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 12:06:53 pm »
The tubs weren't designed for them. That should be enough for you, but I have a feeling it's not.

How about the fact that the circ. pump runs at 35 GPM as opposed to 5 GPM. Instead of cleaning your filter every 6 weeks you would have to clean it every 6 DAYS!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 12:49:46 pm »
The tubs weren't designed for them. That should be enough for you, but I have a feeling it's not.

How about the fact that the circ. pump runs at 35 GPM as opposed to 5 GPM. Instead of cleaning your filter every 6 weeks you would have to clean it every 6 DAYS!

I have ZERO issue with the micron filter other than the disposable part.  I'm not sure how the the regular filter would not be sufficient if the extra flow from the circ pump was too much for it I think the micron filter would have a problem first. Then again, you should know your product better than I. Too bad they can't make those micron fitlers so they can be cleaned and reused.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 01:09:46 pm »
The pleated filter was designed with 2 parts.  1 section for the ciirculation pump, and one for the 2 speed pump.  

The new filter has only 1 pump pulling through it because the filtration is totally separated from the main pump system.  That pump will pull unevenly through the filter because of how it is seaparated.  That is why it is not reccomended.

hymbaw

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 01:10:59 pm »
Too bad they can't make those micron fitlers so they can be cleaned and reused.

The Microclean filter are "depth loading"(capturing particles all the way through the filter media) A pleated filter is "surface loading" (capturing particles on the surface)

You can clean the surface of a filter. I agree, it would be nice if you could clean the depths of a filter.

Until we figure out how, you just have to toss them.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 01:10:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42