What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic:  Just Got Aggravated  (Read 11491 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
 Just Got Aggravated
« on: May 08, 2006, 03:31:42 pm »
Today's my day off.  I came up here to catch up a little on paperwork.  After ya-ya-ing with ya'll a bit, I fired up an Arturo Fuente, opened a Shiner Bock, and hopped in the Tiger River Caspian on my deck.  There's a golf tourney going on across the street so I settled back to watch the fellas play.

Sat there 10 minutes when this fat, bald headed goomer comes up to the fence and asks "Are you guys closed?"

I told him "Yep, closed Sundays and Mondays.  There's some brochures in the box on the front door you're welcome to."

"Well, I'm in the market and want a spa."

"OK, I'll let you in."

So I'm standing there in my wet bathing suit with my cigar showing the guy around.  The more I'm talking to him, the more he doesn't seem to be the spa newbie he claims to be.  He also looks familiar, I just can't place him.....

Right away he decides he wants the Grandee (after first telling me he wants something "inexpensive but high quality").  I say "Fine, when do you want it?"

He then tells me "I live in Missouri.  You do deliver up there, right?"

"No sir, there is probably a HS dealer there.  You should use them.  What do you do for a living?"

"Not much of anything.  I'm about to go to school at K-State so I guess we probably won't be getting a spa anytime soon."

"Well, here's your brochure.  Good luck."

Then I see his truck parked way across the parking lot.  One of my competitors.  Jackass.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

Just Got Aggravated
« on: May 08, 2006, 03:31:42 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re:   Just Got Aggravated
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 03:43:12 pm »
.You should have told him about your special....

Bet you could  have taken out two of his tires....

;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re:   Just Got Aggravated
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 03:47:41 pm »
Term,

We have a dealer in town who will remain nameless but they on a regular basis send there sales people in to shop us....Since them seem to fall into a similar demographic they are not always hard to spot.....I find it rude and child like to do this....When I have been in others stores...I tell them who I am...I just think it is a more professional way to be.....

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 03:48:05 pm »
I heared bout yer store. They gots these here lazy salemen, that spend most their day sitn in da spas. If'n you can get dem out, thel put on some damp musty swim trunks and stink up da place wit dar cigars talkin t'you.. I heared tel dey don't deliver neither.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 04:12:15 pm »
AFTER you told him you were closed, he still took your time and made you open up?  What a total ass.  

hymbaw

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 04:44:38 pm »
I've got one of those A**holes here too >:( Why don't they worry about being good salesmen and stop worrying about me? I don't get it. They usually are easy to spot, when I do I screw with them so much it can't be of any value to them.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 05:12:13 pm »
So, ya'll don't think shopping the competition is a valid part of business?

It's pretty common in the world of retale.  There are professional shoppers out there.

However, there are guidelines.  

Don't make a guy open on his day off.
If a real prospect comes in, get out of the way.
Don't leave with an impression that you will be back to buy.

I'm sure there are others also.

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 05:33:56 pm »
Ugh...

I've been on both sides of the coin... shopper and shopee(?).  Gotta say that hottubdan's rules list seems the most ethical.  Term, I would send anyone who owes you a favor over to their store to shop them.

At five minutes to closing.  For a week.  If they're going to play nasty, play nastier.  And play better.

hymbaw

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 06:13:36 pm »
Seeing what your competition has to offer has it's value. Listening to how they pitch the features on their tubs, good idea.

When you are taking me away from real customers. NOT O.K.. When you ask a series of inane questions just to waste my time. NOT O.K.. To go through this whole scharade to see what traffic is like at my store. Pathetic. If you send someone into my store to put a deposit down on a tub, and then cancel the next day.(Yes, it's happened) You're an A**!

Here's a novel approach........I walk into my competitors store, introduce myself, talk about business, ask questions about their new models, invite them to stop in anytime if they have any questions about the lines I carry.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about walking into the competition unless you've been bad mouthing them. In that case, being a sneaky little weasel is probably your only option. I prefer just acting like an adult from the onset. I can walk into 90% of my competition and get nothing but smiles and handshakes. We do "shop" the other 10% so the rest of the dealers can know what lies are being told to John Q. Public (Yes the 90% of dealers share the info)

Sell your product, sell yourself, and you shouldn't have to worry too much about the competition.

IMHO :)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

anne

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 06:23:40 pm »
Good dealers should not have to put up with that crap (can I say that?)

FWIW- I think that most of us smart consumers are going to gravitate towards you, and not the"weasels" even if we don't realize how they have treated you. Here's why: anyone who would treat a collegue (ok, competitor) that way is bound to treat customers poorly too. They may be smooth as silk, but if they are that slimey (put a deposit down????? Bug you on your day off?????) they we'll know, and we'll run.....right to you. At least I'd like to think so. :-/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 06:24:51 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

autoplay

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 06:28:20 pm »
Return the favor Term!  Send someone in their store,and have them release some yellow food colorin in the spa,along with a Babe Ruth lol.

A wad of axle grease all over everything might be an idea too?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 10:49:02 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of ... driving the HS van over to his store, parking it in front of his store, going for a bite to eat as it's parked in front of his store and eventually walk into his store wearing a HS logoed shirt and say hi! ;D

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 07:35:01 am »
I'm with you Vinny, but maybe wait until he has a customer and walk in and say... I was so pleased that you came to my Hot Springs store for your own spa, it's one thing to have to sell something, it's another to own it...I'm glad to see you recognized the difference. I am just verifying your delivery date  ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 08:41:01 am »
I'm with you Vinny, but maybe wait until he has a customer and walk in and say... I was so pleased that you came to my Hot Springs store for your own spa, it's one thing to have to sell something, it's another to own it...I'm glad to see you recognized the difference. I am just verifying your delivery date  ;D

I like it!!! ;D

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 09:47:25 am »
I heared bout yer store. They gots these here lazy salemen, that spend most their day sitn in da spas. If'n you can get dem out, thel put on some damp musty swim trunks and stink up da place wit dar cigars talkin t'you.. I heared tel dey don't deliver neither.

Yoo got dat right!  Dey hab de laziest spa salesman in de hole wide werld.  Spendin' his day off talkin' 'bout nuthin' impotent 'cept hottubs, hookers, and blow.

Da Lazy Salesman
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 09:47:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42