What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: treated and wolmanized  (Read 10112 times)

fatman

treated and wolmanized
« on: March 30, 2006, 07:37:27 am »
What is the difference between a treated and wolmanized wood hot tub base?

Hot Tub Forum

treated and wolmanized
« on: March 30, 2006, 07:37:27 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: treated and wolmanized
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 08:52:10 am »
In 2004, The EPA banned arsenic in the treating of Pressure Treated lumber.

Since then,  several manufactures have come out with alternative treatments for lumber.  Womlanized is one of them.

These treatments vary in their applicartions (Some are rated for decking, others for ground contact, etc)

This page  discusses the differnt treatments (click on the link "More Choices Than Before" thats in the article. )

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00127.asp

Additionaly here is the Wolmanized home page that discusses it;s process:

http://www.wolmanizedwood.com/overview.shtml

In a nutshell, Wolmanized wood is treated wood.  It's rated for decking applications.  

Is it better than a "treated" wood base for a spa? Well, that depends on what/how the base of the spa has been treated and the wood used.   What Spa are you looking at? Knowing that, perhaps one of the dealers could give you specifics on the base.

:)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 08:52:36 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 09:38:10 am »
Wolmanization appears to me to be just a brand name of wood treatment.  Wonder how much of the cost of that lumber goes to Dean Johnson?  
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:41:42 am »
Wolmanization appears to me to be just a brand name of wood treatment.  Wonder how much of the cost of that lumber goes to Dean Johnson?  

Yes.  It's a brand name.  One needs to know the rating of the treated lumber in order to compare it to another piece of wood that has been "Treated".
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 09:42:07 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

fatman

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 09:54:49 am »
In 2004, The EPA banned arsenic in the treating of Pressure Treated lumber.

Since then,  several manufactures have come out with alternative treatments for lumber.  Womlanized is one of them.

These treatments vary in their applicartions (Some are rated for decking, others for ground contact, etc)

This page  discusses the differnt treatments (click on the link "More Choices Than Before" thats in the article. )

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00127.asp

Additionaly here is the Wolmanized home page that discusses it;s process:

http://www.wolmanizedwood.com/overview.shtml

In a nutshell, Wolmanized wood is treated wood.  It's rated for decking applications.  

Is it better than a "treated" wood base for a spa? Well, that depends on what/how the base of the spa has been treated and the wood used.   What Spa are you looking at? Knowing that, perhaps one of the dealers could give you specifics on the base.

:)

My local Marquis dealer told me that Emerald uses a wolmanized base but is inferior to treated because wolmanized will twist. This same Marquis dealer used to sell Emerald but now downplays them.  I find it hard to believe that Emerald would use a material that didn't work well for them.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 12:00:33 pm »
First off, Wolmanized wood IS treated wood.  In this case some company is branding the name for marketing purposes.

And I seriously doubt that this process causes wood to twist, or the good folks at Wolman HQ would be up to their armpits in twisted wood complaints, lawsuits, and other fun stuff.  

Sounds to me like that Marquis dealer was engaging in the desperation mode sales tactic called "Bashing the competition", aka Negative Selling.  

Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 12:43:35 pm »
I wish somebody would design a portable alarm system which would ring a bell or sound a buzzer when in the presence of negative selling.

It might be a big seller - the possibilities are endless: hand-held units for shoppers, rental programs for that once-in-a-lifetime purchase, permanat installations in the stores: "Come on down to Spas by Chas where are entire showroom is protected by the NOBS 9001 alarm system for your comfort and protection."

You could take it to buy cars, houses, even computers and home electronics.

Wow - let's do this. We could all be rich.

In fact, somebody should come up with a version which actually shocks  :o  the person doing the negative selling. Think of the 'hidden camera' possibilities for that one.

;D
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 12:54:52 pm »
Chas, the same amount of satisfaction (and fun) could be had very simply...carry a small unit on your person, go into a spa store that you KNOW has a "reputation" for BSing....every time they come up with some rotten, low-down line of BS, press the button, and let it chime, quack, whatever......when the dealer asks you what the annoying noise is, tell him "it's my BS detector....I came here to be sure it works" ;)  
RIP C-Rod

fatman

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 02:59:18 pm »
First off, Wolmanized wood IS treated wood.  In this case some company is branding the name for marketing purposes.

And I seriously doubt that this process causes wood to twist, or the good folks at Wolman HQ would be up to their armpits in twisted wood complaints, lawsuits, and other fun stuff.  

Sounds to me like that Marquis dealer was engaging in the desperation mode sales tactic called "Bashing the competition", aka Negative Selling.  

I'm not sure if it's a desperation sell or if it is just his usual approach. It's too bad because he is a nice guy but a negative sell is not professional.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 03:07:19 pm »

In fact, somebody should come up with a version which actually shocks  :o  the person doing the negative selling. Think of the 'hidden camera' possibilities for that one.

;D

Well, maybe we could enlist the engineering and possibly the marketing staff at the Taser company.
 All we'd need is some way for the device to know it's in the presence of bullcrap and go into auto deploy mode.

Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 03:45:12 pm »
Chas, the same amount of satisfaction (and fun) could be had very simply...carry a small unit on your person, go into a spa store that you KNOW has a "reputation" for BSing....every time they come up with some rotten, low-down line of BS, press the button, and let it chime, quack, whatever......when the dealer asks you what the annoying noise is, tell him "it's my BS detector....I came here to be sure it works" ;)  

This might work:

http:// http://www.liquidgeneration.com/rumormill/nokia_stungun.html
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 03:56:32 pm »
 I can't tolerate dicussions about womanizing, this is a Hottub board!!!   [glb]WOLMANIZING[/glb].

"Oh, never mind"

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 03:58:03 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chris_H

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 04:54:30 pm »
Bill the only reason I clicked on this thread is because I thought it said womanizing.  It seriously tricked me.  Shame on the person who started this thread.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 11:23:05 pm »
*lol* funny.....I thought it was 'womanizing' too.....I was waiting for the punchline.
RIP C-Rod

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 11:19:30 am »
Chas, great idea, I'm working on a patented system as we speak, you will get residuals. Wow, we're all going to be stinking rich!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 11:19:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42