What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Kids and Hot Tubs  (Read 11137 times)

cappykat

Kids and Hot Tubs
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:07:39 pm »
Seems like I read something that said children shouldn't be in a hot-tub but for a limited time.  Is that true and
how long can they stay in?

2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

Kids and Hot Tubs
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:07:39 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: Kids and Hot Tubs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 07:20:25 pm »
I think it depends on the temperature.  The little kid bath thermometers go up to 100 degrees, after that the water is considered too hot.  We typically keep our tub at 101.  When I know the kids will be in it (usually just once a week) I turn it to 99-100.  We are typically in it for 30-45 minutes.  J will hold the little one out of the water about every 10 minutes or so for a couple minutes.  The 6 yr old could be in there all day at that temp.

My kids take pretty warm and long baths, so this isn't too different for them.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 07:21:50 pm »
My dealer said to be cautious with children under the age of 4.  I'd say the younger the kids are, the more cautious you'd need to be with them.

For what it is worth, they also said drinking alcohol in a hot tub is not recommended.  ;D
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Anoroc

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 07:29:51 pm »
My four year old will stay in no more than 15 minutes and I set the water to 101.  They say smaller children can become overheated quickly.

She moves around quite a bit so half her body is out of the tub most of the time.

My spa is pretty small.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 08:12:19 pm »
maybe it is wrong but my 2 year old loves the tub.  Last night the tub was 104 and he absolutely loved it.  He goes in about 3 to 4 nights a week with me.  we limit his tub to 20 min only and then he gets out.  As soon as he gets out, we give him a big drink of juice and send him off to bed.

The doctor said no less than two and limit to about 20 min.  

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 08:14:19 pm »
It would be interesting to take his temperature right before he gets in and again right when he gets out.

maybe it is wrong but my 2 year old loves the tub.  Last night the tub was 104 and he absolutely loved it.  He goes in about 3 to 4 nights a week with me.  we limit his tub to 20 min only and then he gets out.  As soon as he gets out, we give him a big drink of juice and send him off to bed.

The doctor said no less than two and limit to about 20 min.  

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 08:50:56 pm »
It would be interesting to take his temperature right before he gets in and again right when he gets out.

It would be interesting to take my temperature.  

I know the important measurement is with "core" temperature. I find that when I've been soaking at night, my feet and head seem to stay warm all night.

I'd say it's important for everybody to stay hydrated and be careful with how much time they spend in a tub...especially very young and very old folks.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Kaelya

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 12:46:11 am »
The cooler the water is, the longer kids can be in the tub, but they should always keep their heads above the water.

anne

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 02:04:14 am »
I was in a hot tub at 102-104 almost every day from the time I was about 6-7 until my teen years. I dont think my brain fried that bad. I know that now I like water hotter than most people, making it difficult to share showers.  ::) Other than that, I never suffered and I think I survived.
Dance like nobody's watching

anne

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 02:06:05 am »
Seriously though, age aside, the smaller you are, the more susceptible you are to hyperthermia in a tub. Its just a body mass: surface area issue.
Dance like nobody's watching

cappykat

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 08:03:15 am »
Thanks, everyone.  Very good advice.
2005 Marquis Epic

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 08:52:39 am »
I found this tidbit on http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/htsafety.htm

*  Soaking for too long in elevated water temperatures can raise body heat to hazardous levels. The National Spa and Pool Institute considers 104° F to be the maximum safe water temperature for adults. A safe soaking time should not exceed 15 minutes. Some medical authorities have recommended a lower maximum temperature of 100° to 102° F. They advise that since infants and children are more sensitive to heat, they should be exposed to water of not more than 95° F, for no more than 10 minutes. Consult with your family doctor.

The Association of Pool and Spa Proffensionals also makes a similliar statement.

Additionaly, I've read that infants and pregnant women should not use the spa.

In addition to elevatad body temp,  there is also the risk of drowning, esp so for children who are not tall enough to stand in the tub above the water line.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 08:54:29 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 09:24:24 am »
For what it is worth, they also said drinking alcohol in a hot tub is not recommended.  ;D

OK everybody......dig into your "Sound of Music" memories for this one:

Hot bubbly water and a nice gin martini
Soaking while naked, don't look at my wienie
Good conversation now everyone sing
"These are a few of my favorite things........."
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 09:24:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42