What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Baking Soda vs Soda Ash  (Read 14460 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Baking Soda vs Soda Ash
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 08:40:56 am »

Doesn't seem I did too much harm with Bicarb so far.  

If you put a lot of Baking Soda in your spa, remember not to put any vinegar in there.  If you want to see why, take a small glass and mix the two.  Then imagining that happening in your spa.   ;)

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 08:40:56 am »

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 10:01:04 am »

If you put a lot of Baking Soda in your spa, remember not to put any vinegar in there.  If you want to see why, take a small glass and mix the two.  Then imagining that happening in your spa.   ;)

Ah yes, Mr Wizard strikes again. Been there, done that!   ;D
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

tanstaafl2

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 10:09:39 am »

Try this thread.
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1140625398;start=10

Thanks, another interesting thread. I guess my biggest problem is I don't have a lot of confidence in the test strips. Hard to say exactly where the colors I get fall on the scale.

Wish I had a machine that I could pour a little water end and get a precise readout of the various characteristics. Not likely to happen though.
 :(

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 04:17:08 pm »
Wish I had a machine that I could pour a little water end and get a precise readout of the various characteristics. Not likely to happen though.
  :(

Taylor Test Kit.

tanstaafl2

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 10:50:52 pm »
Tested my tap water as well as the tub today just out of curiosity.

pH seems to be about the same at around 6.8-7.0 at best for both despite my use of 1 TBS of baking soda yesterday morning. The TA was very low for the tap water but about 120 for the tub which seems to be about where it was before the baking soda, maybe just slightly darker than before.

No chlorine reading in either after using a single tsp of dichlor last night. And the CA still seems to be reading low in both (The strip calls this one "stabilizer" and I am just guessing it measures CA.

Probably try to refrain from messing with it for a few days while the service tech comes out to evaluate the error message I keep getting for "power board communication".  Dealer suspects the secondary control pad on the opposite side of the tub.

Hasn't seemed to affect spa function so far but disconcerting none the less.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 10:50:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42