What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Good Taste or Taste Good  (Read 11389 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Good Taste or Taste Good
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2006, 10:26:29 am »
Well, some of our curtains came in this weekend and I  was pretty happy with what we picked out for the "spa-laundry room".

This is a small (12 x 12) room at the end of my house that has the washer and dryer, ironing board, and a freezer in it).

We put the hot tub just outside the house, going through this door, the tub is just 3 steps away.  The room was a mess (holes in floor, walls ceiling)  This room was the last on my list to re-do, but since having the tub, and guests walking through it, we cleand it up a bit (new subfloor, tiles, wainscoating, paint, cabinets and curtains).  Hoenstly it was embarrassing to have people even look at it.

Here are the curtains we picked out.  They are bright and fun, and give the room a bit of a Carribian touch.  I'd still like to do more with the room, but I wanted to share with outhers the color and paterns we picked out.

So, FWIW, if otheres have a similliar project, here's a data point:  

The towel bar is great.  Not shown are some robe hooks. The cabinets work great for storing my chemicals and supplies.  Over all It's a great place to get out of the tub and dry off, hang up wet suits and towels.  It works well for us.
:D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 12:52:14 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2006, 10:26:29 am »

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2006, 10:36:52 am »
That has got to be the nicest laundry room ever.  Wow!  You almost hate to mess it up by doing laundry. Good job.

I've got that same double towel bar in one of my Vero condos.  They work well and look great.  My wife hung ornate tassels from the ends to add a little pazazz.

You made a good choice on the drapes.  They are a nice contrast with the white.

BTW, is that your rubber ducky?  ;D
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2006, 10:40:37 am »
That has got to be the nicest laundry room ever.  Wow!  You almost hate to mess it up by doing laundry. Good job.

I've got that same double towel bar in one of my Vero condos.  They work well and look great.  My wife hung ornate tassels from the ends to add a little pazazz.

You made a good choice on the drapes.  They are a nice contrast with the white.

BTW, is that your rubber ducky?  ;D

Thanks snowbird.   I'd love to do more, but my wife dope slapped me and reminded  me "It's just a laundry room for  crying out loud! Clean it up and focus on re-doing the baths!)  ;D

The hampers are good to.  Going out to the tub, I can strip down, throw my cloths in the hampers.  Comming back in, grab a robe and on the way to the TV  room, stop off at the bar, and get a re-fill.  

That's my wife's rubber ducky.  It vibrates.  :o

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productdetails.jhtml?sku=EV001 8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:41:40 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2006, 11:04:56 am »
Beautiful job, Drew! I love the curtains and the whole room looks so crisp and bright! I can't tell from the picture, is the bottom half of the wall paint or is it some sort of board? I want to re-do my son's bathroom and I want to run beadboard about 5 ft. up the walls but I have never done anything with that material before. Any ideas?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2006, 11:12:25 am »
Beautiful job, Drew! I love the curtains and the whole room looks so crisp and bright! I can't tell from the picture, is the bottom half of the wall paint or is it some sort of board? I want to re-do my son's bathroom and I want to run beadboard about 5 ft. up the walls but I have never done anything with that material before. Any ideas?

My house is a split level (or raised ranch if you will).  This room is located on the lower level.  The bottom half of the wall is actaully  the foundation of the house (The window is almost at ground level).    But yes, the lower half of the wall is called "wainscoating".  It's a beaded board (Toung in groove look) painted white. The walls under the wainscoating were in horrible shape.  It was put this up or re-do the dry wall. ( ugh!)

In another room, i bought individual touge and groove boards and stained, and  installed them.  

I've seen folks go half way up the wall and cap the wainscoaint off with a chair rail.

In this room,  I bought a 4 x 8 sheets of wood with this pattern cut into it (Home Depot). It was easier to install  it looks just as good.  I had also considered using Cedar, and mounting them at a slanted angle ....but the goal here was: quick, clean and under budget.

Get the full sheets. Get real wood (Home depot also has laminate sheets that look like wood, but its a pain to work with and looks like it wont hold up well.  The wood looks just as good as the "real" wainscoating" I  put in my other room . It cuts with a saber saw and installs easy as pie  (contsrution adheasive and nails to the studs).   Try to cut the boards only along the grooves to hide seams.  This stuff did have more "defects" in the the individual wood baords.

I  would recomend painting rather than staining.  If staiining, you should go with a higher grade. clearer wood.

I had to remove the base boards to install this.  (not a bidgdeal, but you need to re-cut your baseboard when you re-install them)

Also, on outside courners, I had to buy a U channel to match to cover the gap where the corners meet.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:24:05 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2006, 11:39:17 am »
Thanks Drew. I have the T&G pine in the room I am in right now. I stained it 20 years ago but have just sealed and repainted (the color is real similar to your green on the top of the chair rail). For the bathroom, I thought the beadboard (synthetic what ever it is) would be better than wood because of the moisture. I just wasn't sure about butting the edges together because what I have looked at in Lowes has blunt edges, not T&G. so that seam would be real obvious. I wasn't sure how to deal with that. I know it is probably a bit tougher to cut too because if it isn't a real smooth cut the finish could chip.
I think I will check out the Depot because I also need flooring, and a vanity. I was hoping to do this over the weekend while my kids are camping so I need to start collecting my materials.  Thanks for your help!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2006, 11:48:10 am »
Thanks Drew. I have the T&G pine in the room I am in right now. I stained it 20 years ago but have just sealed and repainted (the color is real similar to your green on the top of the chair rail). For the bathroom, I thought the beadboard (synthetic what ever it is) would be better than wood because of the moisture. I just wasn't sure about butting the edges together because what I have looked at in Lowes has blunt edges, not T&G. so that seam would be real obvious. I wasn't sure how to deal with that. I know it is probably a bit tougher to cut too because if it isn't a real smooth cut the finish could chip.
I think I will check out the Depot because I also need flooring, and a vanity. I was hoping to do this over the weekend while my kids are camping so I need to start collecting my materials.  Thanks for your help!

I can't remember if I went to  Lowes or Home Depot, but they both had similliar product.

The laminate stuff look like it would chip out when i cut it, and also would ding up easy.   Go for the 1/4"  wood panels.  Cut your seams along the gooves and for outside corners you could bevel this to 45 degrees, but it was easier just to buy a v chanel  to cap it.  
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2006, 12:12:14 pm »
Three pages. Wow.

I like the look of the room.

If I had that awful white stuff on the ground, I would want an indoor room for my spa as well. In fact, we have been doin' our soakin' down at the showroom for awhile now - strictly after-hours: don't want to cause anyone to have a coronary or die laughin.'

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2006, 12:16:08 pm »
Three pages. Wow.

I like the look of the room.

If I had that awful white stuff on the ground, I would want an indoor room for my spa as well.

WHAT?  ! ? !  That white stuff on the ground is the best stuff for out door hot tubbing!   I feel sorry for folks who can't sit outside in a snow storm and enjoy the hot tub. It is absolutely the best.  

You haven't tubbed until you do it in a snowstorm!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2006, 01:48:22 pm »
If I found myself in a place where it would be possible to go sit in a hottub in a snow storm, I would be booking passage on the next available airplane headed south.  I am originally a New Englander and have memories of carrying car batteries inside the house because at temps of 40 below, batteries tend to freeze.  Snowing 5 or more inches per hour.  Winds approaching hurricane force.  Snow piled up so high on the side of the roads that the street lights up on the utility poles were blocked.  I am OUT on the whole scene.

To each his own.  My one wish at the moment is that Castro would go away so that Havana could be recovered for various business activities such as liquor, gambling, and illicit sex.  It is warmer there in the winter than it is in South Florida.  I could stand to move where it is warmer in the winter provided the right kinds of amenities could be ensured.   :-*

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2006, 02:21:50 pm »
My hot tub has been the best solution to a husband who thinks like you guys, but has a wife who loves the winter and change of seasons. He loves the hot weather and would be happy sitting under a palm tree or riding in a golf cart for the rest of his life. BUT He actually admitted to enjoying this winter because of the tub and when it warmed up the other day he commented that it just isn't as awsome when the air temp is above 50!  That's OK, because soon we will be opening up the pool  ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2006, 02:29:18 pm »

... My wife hung ornate tassels from the ends to add a little pazazz.

I think I saw your wife's act at a club I mistakenly wandered into. How does she get the tassels to go in opposite directions?   ;) ;D :o
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:12:44 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2006, 09:23:43 pm »
not that my opinion means a hill of beans in Bermuda.....but I like it. I actually prefer the laundryroom theme to the tubroom setup, but both are very nice.
Two thumbs up, Ebert.
RIP C-Rod

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2006, 10:02:49 pm »
I think I saw your wife's act at a club I mistakenly wandered into. How does she get the tassels to go in opposite directions?   ;) ;D :o

Opposite directions is the easy part.  

The hard part is not letting the towel rack hit her chin.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2006, 09:00:18 am »
Opposite directions is the easy part.  

The hard part is not letting the towel rack hit her chin.

Don't let the rack hit her in the chin?  

You are a very lucky man.  :D
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2006, 09:00:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42