What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Draining a J-385  (Read 4530 times)

harry_the_jet

• n8kid fun
Draining a J-385
« on: March 13, 2006, 11:30:43 am »
Trying to drain my J-385 and after ripping to layers of my epidermis off my palms...to no avail, cannot seem to loosen the valve.  Does anyone have any experience with this as my tub is in desperate need of a cleaning and refill.  thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Draining a J-385
« on: March 13, 2006, 11:30:43 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Draining a J-385
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 11:45:07 am »
Harry, if you don't have a pool, this may be of little help, but. I just took my vacuum hose from my pool vac and got a syphon started using one of the jets...within 20 mins I had the tub down to about 2 inches. Had I paid better attention, it would have emptied completely, but I had to start a syphon with my garden hose to finish the foot well. I used a shower squeegie to clean all the water off the seats and for the last little bit of water, I used my shop vac..I never touched that drain. This was so simple and wait until you feel the difference new water makes. somewhere I posted about surviving my water change with a picture of the little hose divider that helped me start the syphon with the garden hose.
It was a piece of cake...good luck ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:50:41 am »
Hi Harry,

I just drained my 385 in February.  The valve works exactly as the manual says.

It has a cap on it that you need to remove (turn counter clockwise).

Screw the hose onto the fitting.

Then turn and pull the connector.  Be sure to hold the base of the connector where it goes into the base.

If it doesn't operate easily, be careful about forcing it as you could end up with 550 gallons where you don't want it.  If that is the case, contact the dealer for advice.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Duffman

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 01:05:07 pm »
I think you'll find the easiest way to drain your hot tub is to just use your garden hose.

1) Put one end in the hot tub and hold it over one of the water jets.

2) When you get a steady stream coming out the other end your siphon is working.

3) Take the end in the tub away from the jet and lower it to the footwell.

4) Close the cover over the hose to keep it in place.

5) Very important: Immediately turn off all pumps after the hose is actively siphoning. Then turn off all POWER to the tub by flipping the breakers in the sub panel

Done  ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 01:35:24 pm by Duffman »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 01:09:09 pm »
I think you'll find the easiest way to drain your hot tub is to just use your garden hose.

1) Put one end in the hot tub and hold it over one of the water jets.

2) When you get a steady stream coming out the other end your siphon is working.

3) Take the end in the tub away from the jet and lower it to the footwell.

Very important: Turn off all pumps after the hose is actively siphoning!!!

4) Close the cover over the hose to keep it in place.

Done  ;D

Turn off all POWER to the tub if you are draining.  Flip the breakers in the sub panel.
07 Caldera Geneva

Duffman

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 01:32:44 pm »
Turn off all POWER to the tub if you are draining.  Flip the breakers in the sub panel.

Thank you! I just realized I forgot that step and was logging back on to update. Definitely a critical step!!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 01:33:16 pm by Duffman »

harry_the_jet

• n8kid fun
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 01:33:30 pm »
these are really great suggestions and will use th hose.  thanks for the advice..

i always turn off the power at the panel...thanks for all the insight..

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 01:40:49 pm »
HotSpring has a drain in the very bottom of the spa, which is a selling point.

BUT....

I use a large-diameter hose to syphon - it goes much faster and if you can be there the whole time, you can get the water out of the seats and filter bucket at the same time in one operation.

I have a 38" section of PVC pipe so that I can keep the suction-end of the rig on the floor of the spa or in the seats/filter area as needed.  The end of the pipe goes into the end of a commercial 2" pool vac hose and it absolutely rips! In fact I have to move the loose end of the hose around the yard to avoid flooding. The pipe also keeps the thing where you put it if you want to step away to rinse a filter or move the other end of the hose, or if you just want to start the syphon and come back later.

Sounds complicated, but it is very simple and works like a charm.

I have seen folks buy cheaper pool hoses, sections of suction-type pool cleaner hose (comes in 3-4 foot lengths and snaps together) or even just a section of 1" vinyl tubing or what-have-you. Its all good, but keep in mind that when it comes to the speed,

Size matters.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 01:40:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42