What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used Hot tubs?  (Read 5319 times)

n2itive_2001

Used Hot tubs?
« on: March 12, 2006, 11:47:39 am »
I have had two hot tubs in the past and had good luck with both.  Now, I am looking at a 99 HS tub for 2600.00.  I have moved often and always left the tubs for the buyers.  Now, I want to buy used.  However, a used hot tub worries me a bit, thirty day warranty, etc.  I believe the dealer to reputable with great service department.  Any suggestions?  My last hot tub was an Arctic Spa with a 4 hp, 6 seater, so a little hard to compare with the HS I'm looking at, which is the white plastic, but does have resin exterior.  The HS I'm looking at seems lean, but very clean.  Any suggestions? I guess I am thinking that the Arctic I just had was a LOT of power versus what I am looking at now and will I be happy with the change?  I could spend more $$ if I knew more what I was doing.  It seems that a 7 year old used tub, for around 3000 (with tax, elec,etc.), isn't too far off from the cost of a new one.  

And, does anyone have any suggestions for dickering for the extras?  Cover lift, electrical panel, chemicals, set up and delivery?
Will I ever get good at this?   ;)
J.K.

Hot Tub Forum

Used Hot tubs?
« on: March 12, 2006, 11:47:39 am »

socal

• so it begins
Re: Used Hot tubs?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 11:53:38 am »
hello j.k. and welcome to the board. i cannot comment on the price of that model (cause you never mentioned what model it is???), however buying used from a dealer can be very beneficial. as you mentioned, you would be getting a 30 day warrenty which you wouldnt find from a pvt party.
there are a few people on this forum that have bought from a pvt party and are very happy.

Marquis dealer

n2itive_2001

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:58:04 am »
Yes, I guess I wasn't very helpful.  I don't know the model name.  I just know I looked at the model at the dealer locally.  It's white plastic interior, resin box, the fake tile looking trim around the top, three filters, one recline seat.  It at least seats six.  It's very clean.  I was in a quandary about the price.  It doesn't seem as powerful as what I owned and wondered if I would be happy.  Thanks for trying to help on some sketchy info. I have not wet tested.

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 12:07:20 pm »
there are a few HS dealers here on the board, they would be able to give you more guidence than i can..........but a model would be very helpful for them.
Terminator from East TX. Spas deals in used models, and i think chas might as well (not sure though).
call the dealer, ask the model name, and look for term tomarrow or tuesday.
your question about performance......is this a 110v model??? or maybe just 1 220v pump compared to a multiple pump system you had before?
Marquis dealer

Brookenstein

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 12:19:12 pm »
If that was private party I would think the price is a little high, but being from a repuatable dealer that I assume has gone over the tub, checked it for leaks, an overall check-up and repairs, put a new cover on it, new filters, etc etc. I'm guessing thats a decent deal, but not a steal.

I looked at used tubs daily in craigslist and recycler for about 4 months before I found the right tub for me.

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 12:30:21 pm »

I looked at used tubs daily in craigslist and recycler for about 4 months before I found the right tub for me.

and right on cue, one of the people that bought from a pvt party and are very happy.
Marquis dealer

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 12:40:19 pm »
It sounds like a Sovereign.  You should be happy with it.

Dan
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 02:09:22 pm »
With 3 filters it has to be a sovereign.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 02:39:44 pm »
Yup.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 02:50:20 pm »
Used is good, especially if it come through a dealer, that becomes your support system.  I would presume that it come with new filters and a new cover, which taken into consideration, a used spa would have used filters and a used cover.  Considering that you may need to buy filters and a cover, I think the price is very much a good price to consider.  

As for the extras, well, if the seller didn't have them you wouldn't get them and they were not part of the spa as they are accessories, if you want to dicker with the dealer about them, have at it, but I would think standing behind it for 90 days or 180 days may give you better confidence and measure his as to what you are buying.

What do you think? ???

n2itive_2001

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 04:59:06 pm »
I can't thank you all enough for the feedback.  This is wonderful.  I realize that one of my questions is exactly what one of the responses is...

220v pump compared to a multiple pump system you had before?  

That was one of the things I was wondering.  And, if this would be a noticeable difference for me.  We aren't hard users of a hot tub, my kids are in college, so use is mostly me.  I will definitely take into the conversation the warranty duration.  Will I be happy with the white hard plastic interior versus the acrylic? Mostly, I am cheap and want to know I got a good deal.    ::)

Again, thanks, this has helped me a lot!  J.K.

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 05:09:01 pm »
I can't thank you all enough for the feedback.  .

thats why we are here.
Marquis dealer

J._McD

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 06:36:03 pm »
Maybe Chas can respond to this, but you might want to check to be sure the current owner or the dealer has made any manufacturer recommended updates, the dealer would know about this.  While the price seems good, maybe Chas or East Tx can comment on the current value of that HS model.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 07:06:41 pm »
I got a used HS sovereign that is TWENTY years old from craigslist. I was very happy to find that Hot Spring quality is steller so I wouldn't worry about the age too much. Except for the fact that it is twenty year old technology, the tub itself works excellently. We use mine almost daily and love it.

Also, parts are readily available and you can do a lot of repairs and replacements for the money you save.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 08:12:47 pm »
Very hard to place a value on a used tub. There is absolutely nothing on the planet that will make my lovely and gracious wife argue. Except this.

As was mentioned above, keep the price of a new cover and new filter in mind - if the tub comes with both, go for it. If not, ask yourself if you want to pay the combined total for spa, filter and cover.

One other thing: many dealers will include delivery on used tubs - some only include it on new tubs - but I haven't seen many private parties who will deliver a tub. Or perhaps I should say, some private parties WILL deliver but it aint a pretty sight.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 08:12:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42