What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Down Goes the Motorcycle  (Read 12208 times)

Brookenstein

Down Goes the Motorcycle
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:31:51 pm »
J was hit by an SUV on his way to work this morning.  The A hole changed lanes into him, hit him, then fled the scene.  The only person to stop was several cars back and didn't get a plate # or anything.  He was taken by ambulance to the hospital.  He has a broken clavical, bum knee, and road rash from head to toe.

I forgot to ask the dr how soon he can hot tub.  I'm guessing not for a few days.  At least he's doped up on demerol and vicodin.

Poor guy.  Took over a month to get the brand new bike fixed and now this happens.  We are hoping its totalled, but I'm doubting we can be that lucky.  

Looks like we might have to get his old Z working, so I don't have to drive him to work everyday.

I'm having a pity party, if anyone wants to join.   :)

Hot Tub Forum

Down Goes the Motorcycle
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:31:51 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Down Goes the Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 08:01:21 pm »
I'm having a pity party, if anyone wants to join.   :)

Add a tear from me, that sucks!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:24:28 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  Hope he heals up okay.  Was he wearing any protective clothing?
Helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, etc?  

I'm too scared to ride without that stuff, even when it's hot out.  

Hopefully they'll total the bike.  It's amazing how expensive it is to get that stuff repaired.  If there is any frame damage it'll likely be a total loss.  Good thing, maybe.
That bike has some bad juju.

Brewman

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 09:45:38 pm »
He had his helmet and gloves on.  They are a total loss, as is his nylon ski jacket type coat, his work shoes (slip on black leather dress shoes), all the clothes he was wearing, and his motorcycle bakcpack.

I didnt get a good look at the bike as it was down when I was at the scene.  I had it impounded by the police and will deal with it later (hopefully tomorrow).

I'm going to take pics of everything tomorrow (hopefully the bike too).

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:35:59 am »
That's too bad Brooke. Was he on the 91 freeway? How fast was he going when he got hit? I hope everything works out for J and his bike.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 01:56:32 am »
That's horrible, Brooke. :( What kind of cold hearted a$$hole would flee the scene. I hope they merge on the highway going the wrong way and hit an 18 wheeler head on. There's no need/use for people like that in the world. >:(
I hope J makes a full, healthy recovery and try not to worry about the bike to much. Just be thankful that is wasn't any worse than it was.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 02:02:06 am »
Looks like we might have to get his old Z working
What kind of Z does he have?

anne

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 02:23:05 am »
I'm so glad he was not badly injured!!!!!! What a hideous story. What a hideous person to leave like that!!!!!
Dance like nobody's watching

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 07:48:53 am »
He had his helmet and gloves on.  They are a total loss, as is his nylon ski jacket type coat, his work shoes (slip on black leather dress shoes), all the clothes he was wearing, and his motorcycle bakcpack.

I didnt get a good look at the bike as it was down when I was at the scene.  I had it impounded by the police and will deal with it later (hopefully tomorrow).

I'm going to take pics of everything tomorrow (hopefully the bike too).

Good deal.  One look at the helmet after a crash is usually enough to get even the most stubborn to consider wearing one.  
 That helmet could have been his skull.   Shouldn't take too long for them to decide on repairing or totalling the bike.  

Think if they do total you bike you'd get another of the same?

Brewman

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 07:58:18 am »
For the most part, I notice that drivers show little respect for folks on motorcycles.  They surely are not treated like other vehicles. I try to give them plenty of extra room and as I am teaching my son to drive now, I tell him it is critical to give them more consideration than drivers who are better protected inside of a vehicle.

I'll bet that H&R never even saw your husband before he pulled into his path, Brooke.  Again, I am telling my kid ALWAYS check that blind spot by looking over your shoulder...forget the darn mirrors, they don't show the whole story.  :-/ Especially because it is tough to accurately gauge distance when you are moving fast.

Hopefully J will have a quick recovery and you will recover the loss on your bike AND they will find out that someone got the plate number of the inconsiderate person that hit J.  >:(

Good luck Brooke
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Brookenstein

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 09:22:36 am »
Thanks for all the kind words.

J's forhead is completely bruised even with having a full facial helmet.  I couldn't imagine what he would have looked like or the damage he'd have if he wore one of those barret style ones or something.

He was on the 15N just at Cajalco when it happened.  One exit from the house.  He was doing 30-40mph in the number 1 lane.  He wasn't lane sharing this time or anything.  I don't doubt the person didn't see him, I just don't understand how someone doesn't realize they hit someone or see in their mirror he went down and don't stop.

J has a 90 Twin Turbo.  We had a 95 convertable back in 99.  Bought it then 30 min later found out we were pregnant.  Sold it about 3 months later.  About 2 years ago he bought a 90 2+2.  Spent a $1800 to pass DEQ, was completely redoing the interior, yadda yadda yadda then he was hit by a semi and they totalled it (had it a little over a month).  So he replaced it with a 90 TT.  It has been sitting for 6mo or so as it needs 2 new tires, new AC (last time he drove it, it was 120 in the car), something with the wheel bearings, new breaks and rotors, and a piston is going out.  I tried to get him to buy a new 350, as I thought it would cost less than what we put into these old ones... but it is his baby and he loves it.

We don't have a lot of good luck when it comes to motor vehicles.   :(

Hmm, maybe I have enough of a sob story that I can write Overhaulin' now and get on the show.  Ahh, probably not.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 10:10:15 am »
Brooke, sorry to hear about the a-hole....very happy to hear your hubby survived the encounter, though! I had a friend that was broadsided by a drunk driver while on his Harley last August. He and his passenger were killed almost immediately. Let's just say that a helmet would NOT have helped either of them to survive the impact...It's actually part of the reason we're selling our Harleys.....he taught me and the hubby to ride, was very safety conscious til the end....
Best of luck to you and the hubby. Give that doped up man a huge hug and know that you've got a second chance that many never get.
RIP C-Rod

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 11:13:00 am »
Brooke,
Bad news! I'm sorry to hear about the accident. And, a hit and run, at that. Still, it could have been worse.
When I was riding, I always wore the full face helmet, too. Got to protect the good looks!  :D
Also wore a bright yellow wind breaker over my leather jacket. The wind breaker also had reflective tape sewn on for visibility at night. If I was going to get hit, at least they wouldn't have the excuse of not being able to see me if they were looking!  8-)
I hope J feels better soon.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 11:23:03 am »
Boy can I empathize! I laid my R1200C BMW down about 3 months ago. I was not in the right frame of mind to ride, going a bit to fast in poor conditions, dodged around a nut that hit his brakes, hit fresh ground pavement (turned to mud) and slammed to the ground. I slid past the bike and hit the curb with my head and shoulder.

Broke my helmet, tore up my leathers, broke my arm, ruptured most of the blood vessels in my forearm and now they are telling me that my scapula is rotated forward and causing problems in the mechanics of my arm an wrist.

Sad thing is that while I was wrestling the bike back up in the middle of the road cars were going around me and no one stopped to help (or even slowed down!)

I've been road rashed from head to toe before and it ain't no picnic (worse wreck July 1996, got called in dead). Tell him the soon he forces himself to get moving around the better.

BTW, I added Peroxide to my spa for that period and soaked.

Brookenstein

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 11:39:18 am »
Stuart,

That sounds awful.  Did you fix/replace the bike?  Do you still ride?  J hasn't said much about if he wants to ride again.  If the bike is totalled I wouldn't be too surprised if he decided to take a break from it.  If its not, I'm not sure we have any choice but to keep it.  It has been his only mode of transport for 6+ months now.  

J said his biggest fear was he was going to be hit by the car(s) behind him as he landed in the middle of the lane and had to crawl to the side.  I think he was incredibly lucky that didn't happen.  

I'm torn on whether or not I should let him get up and move around.  The dr was useless and didn't even evaluate him.  All he did was tell us the results of the xrays.  Didn't spend more than a minute with us.  Dr even said he could go back to work today.  WTF?  His paperwork said that as long as his knee is painful he shouldn't bear weight on it and that he should be in cruches.  Well, he can't use crutches because he has no arm/shoulder to use.  Also, when he is upright he tends to vomit.  The nurse said to take it easy and lay down for a few days.  He had to sleep in a recliner last night.

I scheduled an apt with our dr's office for Monday.  I'm going to go to the hospital and pick up his xrays today.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 11:39:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42