What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coming "Out of the Closet"  (Read 6903 times)

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!
Coming "Out of the Closet"
« on: February 25, 2006, 06:10:12 pm »
I have received quite a few "Private Posts" from people on this fourm buying and/or recommeding ........ lets just call them "Not the top ten Brands".
They quote a variety of reasons for not wanting to make a general post, but for the most part they don't want to get into the partialness and bias which is prevalent on this fourm.
Once apon a time,  it was brought up that it may be best ( for all whom use this fourm) for each Dealer to identify ones self in your ID.

While it's nice to have the dealers and their products represented here, I for one really want to hear from and about "Everyday people" in various stages of "Tubbing". From the new shopper to the 20+ yearer.

Mr./ Ms.  Mediator/ Moderator you may want to consider getting this done, and maybe in doing so, coaxing the many in the closet from coming out, without fear of ridicule.

Hot Tub Forum

Coming "Out of the Closet"
« on: February 25, 2006, 06:10:12 pm »

fatman

Re:  Coming "Out of the Closet"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 08:32:10 am »
I have received quite a few "Private Posts" from people on this fourm buying and/or recommeding ........ lets just call them "Not the top ten Brands".
They quote a variety of reasons for not wanting to make a general post, but for the most part they don't want to get into the partialness and bias which is prevalent on this fourm.
Once apon a time,  it was brought up that it may be best ( for all whom use this fourm) for each Dealer to identify ones self in your ID.

While it's nice to have the dealers and their products represented here, I for one really want to hear from and about "Everyday people" in various stages of "Tubbing". From the new shopper to the 20+ yearer.

Mr./ Ms.  Mediator/ Moderator you may want to consider getting this done, and maybe in doing so, coaxing the many in the closet from coming out, without fear of ridicule.

Could not agree with you more. I think all dealers should be labeled as being dealers. Doing so would inform all potential customers that they were communicating with dealers.   You are also correct about the "Top 10 brands". I have used PM's many times for this very reason. I find it much easier and altogether hassle free to speak with other people about particular brands than to post on the open forum and have it turn into a 3-4 page thread.  Sometimes dealers just can't stand the fact that there are better brands on the market than the one they happen to be selling.

salesdvl

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 09:29:07 am »
I agree
Measure once, cut twice.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 06:42:52 pm »

Will you be willing to research/enforce it and handle the complaints or suspicions that someone isn't whom they say they are?  I'm not, which for now is the end of that story. How can I be assured your a consumer and not a disgruntled smaller manufacturer?  

The other side of the free speech coin is being responsible for the advice you take as well as give and weigh it against all known factors.

As this is practically unenforceable, I have said in the past that any dealer who wishes to identify themselves is free to do so and many have.  Are you putting more credence in the advice you are getting in PM than here?  That is your choice.  

Yes, there is some petty bickering and partiality here, but it is your responsiblity to figure that out, not mine.

That sounds like more of a lazy excuse than a practical one. I'm suspicious of certain types of sales techniques and this would be one of them.

BTW, I'm the happy owner of a "not a top 10 mfg mentioned here.  Those in the closet are there by their own choice.  We all make our own choices here and it is up to you to determine what is what.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 07:03:03 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

salesdvl

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 09:17:32 pm »
I agree
Measure once, cut twice.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 10:46:49 pm »
In the purchase of my new spa, I have received advice from both end users and sales people alike.  Just because one is a sales person does not make them less trustworthy or biased.  I have found the person who makes a living selling spas and accessories to be helpful and knowledgeable. I see no need to "identify" one whose business is selling spas.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 10:49:14 pm by GoBlue »
If I could just chew through these restraints...

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 12:04:31 am »
I agree
Measure once, cut twice.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 06:55:20 am »
In defense of the dealers on this forum, I think most of them do identify themselves as such.  We are fortunate to have excellent pros here, dealer, reps and techs.  Their interaction with the rest of us is part of what makes this a fun and informative place to come.  I would hope that dealers believe in their product and would expect some bias to come forth.  We can generally flush out the devious ones that stop in to raise a little havoc.  That is all part of the process.  As far as the top ten being well represented, well, thats because they are the top ten and probably make up a very large percentage of the spas sold.  Sometimes you get many anwers to a single question.  Thats the nature of this business.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 08:36:20 am »
I agree.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

salesdvl

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 09:07:09 am »
I agree.

I couldn't have said it better myself.    ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 09:14:21 am »
I'm thinking that by bringing all questions out into the open, not only do you get more feedback, but also if there's someone trying to steer you in a questionable direction (especially us newbies), the "good guys" (white hats are optional) are more likely to step in and redirect. I'd much rather be thought of as starring in a soap opera because of my "journey", but at this point, I feel VERY well informed because I made the entire thing public....
I thank everyone that's been a part of my continuing education, and encourage the owners of what's been coined the "non top 10" brands to step forward with any thoughts, problems, concerns, etc.....if it feels good on YOUR butt, who is anyone else to tell you that you did wrong?
RIP C-Rod

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 10:00:25 am »
.....if it feels good on YOUR butt, who is anyone else to tell you that you did wrong?

Is this a reference to your avatar??

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 11:02:42 am »

Is this a reference to your avatar??

*LMAO* ummmmm.......no it wasn't....but I guess it COULDA been, huh?
RIP C-Rod

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 12:46:06 pm »
The other side of the free speech coin is being responsible for the advice you take as well as give and weigh it against all known factors.
Bill, you are a great moderator. I appreciate your time spent here, and this statement is a very good summary of the truth of trying to shop for a big ticket item by reading other people's opinions.

Keep it up, and may all your ice be smooth.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 03:11:52 pm »
This idea has come up before.  I have to side with Bill.  There are so many practical objections and frankly there is little need for it.  If anyone steps out of line in this forum, there are plenty of qualified people who will recognize bogus information and will not tolerate it.  

I don't quite understand the comment about bias in this forum.  From my seat there is not much bias here.  People ask questions or make comments which are then addressed from a lot of different points of view.  Any reader who invests the time should have no trouble getting a balanced perspective on hottubs and related topic herein.  

I am a consumer and have found the professional people who frequent and contribute to this forum to be very helpful and supportive.  

Bill, I side with Chas that you are doing a commendable job as moderator.  Thanks for your effort.

Regards,

Bill  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 03:11:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42