What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Frog - Tablet Replacement Not Working  (Read 8693 times)

Snyper

Spa Frog - Tablet Replacement Not Working
« on: February 27, 2006, 02:24:17 am »
I've tried opening up the Spa frog cartridge and replacing the spent bromine with tablets but the bromine levels have bottomed out.

I spoke with my dealer, and he said the reason is the original Spa frog cartridges are filled with fine granuals and that tablets will not disolve correctly within the Marquis system.

I even opened up the cartridge all the way open and the bromine level stayed way low.

Today, I put in a new factory Spa Frog and within 4 hours, my bromine level was back up to normal.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had this same problem.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Frog - Tablet Replacement Not Working
« on: February 27, 2006, 02:24:17 am »

drprwnap

Re: Spa Frog - Tablet Replacement Not Working
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 08:40:11 am »
I've tried both- granuals and tablets.  Whit the granuals my bromine levels were too high, with the tablets a bit on the low side.  I prefer the tablets and lower bromine readings.
I throw in a tsp of di-chlor every other soak and my water has been crystal clear (so far!).  What do you consider "normal" bromine levels?

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

cappykat

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 09:17:26 am »
drprwnap...I still have cartridges but I'm planning to reuse them when my supply is gone.  You're using the tablets...what is your bromine reading?
2005 Marquis Epic

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 09:18:29 am »
I haven't had the opportunity to check all this out....but can you put tablets in first, then add granules to top it off? In theory, the granules would dissolve first anyhow, and by the time they were gone, the tablets should be dissolving enough to keep bromine levels going....right?
RIP C-Rod

Snyper

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 11:08:20 am »
I've tried both- granuals and tablets.  Whit the granuals my bromine levels were too high, with the tablets a bit on the low side.  I prefer the tablets and lower bromine readings.
I throw in a tsp of di-chlor every other soak and my water has been crystal clear (so far!).  What do you consider "normal" bromine levels?

drprwnap  8)

I am not sure what level, because I use the test strips. But each time I tested, the strip showed the lowest color (yellow).

Pehaps my tablets are crap?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 12:26:29 pm »
Something is fishy...with the frog and/or the strips. I have the dang frog and my bromine dropped the day before yesterday, so I shocked. Today my bromine, on my strips was >20, glowing!  I took a sample to my dealer and the computerized water test indicated that my bromine was low and I needed to add bromine. ??? I asked the service man to check my water with the test strips in the store(the same ones I have) and guess what? >20ppm. He said go with the computerized test and add bromine. I am writing to King....will keep you posted >:(
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 01:01:21 pm »
so.........the strips are crap.......?  As a member of aquarium forum that suggests testing water frequently, I was told to stay away from the strips if at all possible and go for the drops....much more reliable, I was told.....is this true also in this case?
RIP C-Rod

cappykat

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 01:01:32 pm »
Boni...what # is the bromine set on?  If the bromine was low and you added shock...why shock?  I guess I would have raised the # on my cartridge instead of shocking.  Whenever you add the shock it raises the bromine reading for about a day maybe two, then it drifts down.  I think I would set the bromine low #1 or #2 and add 3oz of shock weekly, then 2-3 days after the shock add 3 tsp of dichlor.  If the bromine still gets low then raise the # on the cartridge.  I was doing this but because we don't use everyday the bromine reading was high >10.  I would try this and see what happens.

Also, have you taken the top off the cartridge to see if there is bromine?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 01:03:40 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Snyper

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 01:27:12 pm »
I just wanted everyone to know that this AM I took a water sample to a Leslie's dealer and my water is "in perfect balance." They STRONGLY suggested that I stay away from the tablets because they are designed to disolve VERY slowly compared to the granuals.

Also, they told me that even if the Frog Spa was opened all the way to 6, the disolve rate would be minimum compared to the suggested level 1 that my spa stipulates.

It was an experiment worth trying, but I'll spend the extra money and stick with the original Spa Frog system.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 02:08:14 pm »
Cappy, My bromine was set at 2, like the dealer told me. I tried to turn it down to 1 but ended up with a cloudy tub. I checked my cartridge the other day (when I found all the blue lettering flaked off and floating in the well). It still has bromine. Maybe I don't understand.I thought that if the bromine dropped, you shock to get rid of the organic material and then test later (I waited a day)to see if there is enough residual bromine to sanitize. What has really puzzled me is the drastic readings. My strips either read really high or really low, I never have a
happy medium. Today, it was so strange that the strips read so high >20 ppm for both me and at the dealer's using the strips, but the computer said my bromine was 0.5.  what's up with that? Now I am really confused. I think the strips either are very inaccurate, or the bromine in the frog cartridges is a little different than what the strips are meant to test for? I just emailed King to ask that.  And T-lady, like you, I test my aquarium water with reagents, no strips.... :( ??? :-/

drprwnap

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 02:51:37 pm »
drprwnap...I still have cartridges but I'm planning to reuse them when my supply is gone.  You're using the tablets...what is your bromine reading?

My reading is about 0.5.  I noticed that if i let the strip sit about a minute, the reading goes up.  I think it's time to bite the bullet and buy a Taylor Kit.  I never liked those stupid strips anyway.  :(

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

cappykat

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 03:41:23 pm »
Knock on wood...I'm doing ok but I'm with you--I think it's time to buy a Taylor test kit.

Are you re-using your cartridges with the tablets?  I don't know if I want to take the chance after what Snyper said??

2005 Marquis Epic

MarKee

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 06:54:53 pm »
If the cartridge is making your bromine level too high, turn it down.  Even on a 0 setting it still lets out bromine into the water.  Tablets are not as concentrated as the bromine in the frog cartridge.  Your dealer will soon have new longer lasting cartridges for those wishing for a cheaper alternative.  Supposedly these new cartridges will retail for 9.95 or 10.95 and will last at least 4 weeks, depending on your settings up to 6 weeks.  

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 07:37:37 pm »
Cappy, I bought a batch of cartridges at my dealer the last trip down and he wanted me to try to be patient and make this work. Shoot, I can't even get it right the way it is designed to work, let alone changing up with tablets.  Hideaway, do you have any thoughts about my readings on the strips vs the computer generated tests?
Maybe all of my difficulties are realted to the darn strips, and not the frog after all.  ???

Snyper

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 11:56:43 pm »
I guess Marquis designed their spa to use granulars for a reason huh?  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 11:56:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42