What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Married couple agrees.... (news at 11)  (Read 5432 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Married couple agrees.... (news at 11)
« on: February 21, 2006, 09:51:28 pm »
Alrighty....my husband and I have been going back and forth on the tub front. I've been agonizing over giving the Great Lakes dealer the bird over their lousy customer service and giving the Jacuzzi/Hot Spring dealer our money. Today we cemented things. My husband has a short fuse and he went to the GL dealer to try and get the deposit back. As soon as he told the owner we'd changed our minds, she got gritchy and whined that she could've had the tub we had money on sold the same day I put money on it, and therefor lost a sale due to me. My hubby pointed out that apparently they're not terribly concerned about making paying customers comfortable, and we werent' going to buy a tub from a company that we couldn't depend on to do warranty work if it were needed.....apparently he got a little on the loud side and she called for backup......he got ticked off, and left.
Now either I get to try to get the $200 back, or suck it up as a lesson in who NOT to deal with, even if you like the product.
We did some creative financing, and I'll be going in to the Hot Spring dealer tomorrow with about 80% of the cost of the Grandee in hand.....we're ordering an '06, and I decided to "step out of the box", instead of getting a granite-y finish, I'm ordering the pearl finish, redwood cabinet and teak cover.
The service guy there got all gushy when I told him about it, he said it almost GLOWS at night with the tub lights.....I thought that amusing, since he's a large biker-type guy....but he and the GREAT sales girl are just thrilled that we decided to do business with them (nice commission, I'm sure), and they've been TOO helpful when I have questions, etc.....
I have to wait about a month before the mason will lay the concrete (he's waiting for warmer weather), and we're throwing ideas around as far as how everything's going to be set up in the meantime...but I'm VERY comfortable going in to this store just to ask questions....(owners have been on vacation in Florida, I hope they're as cool as the sales girl has been!)
NEVER underestimate the importance of talking to the service techs!!!!
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

Married couple agrees.... (news at 11)
« on: February 21, 2006, 09:51:28 pm »

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
Re: Married couple agrees.... (news at 11)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 10:44:20 pm »
    Congrats on getting the Grandee!!!
My wife and I have the 04 model,  Pearl finish with redwood everwood cabinet and hunter green cover. We couldnt be happier with it. When I bought it I had the dealer trade out the paper filters for the Tri-X filters and I only paid the difference. I am glad I did that as the Tri-X are a littlle $$$ and there is 5 of them. I think the dealer charged me $50 total. I am asuming you will also have the Luminescence 6 color light.  We love it and have it on all the time. It looks great with the pearl tub.  
Good luck with it and happy tubbing......

Brookenstein

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 10:52:46 pm »
Congrats.  I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

I've got the pearl finish with the redwood cabinet on my Envoy and love it.  I think it looks very sharp.

Snyper

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 01:10:56 am »
What kind of dealer only has one in stock? That sounds odd. Whatever.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 01:20:16 am »
Good job Tatooed Lady and short fused husband! ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 01:56:11 am »
Very interesting. I didn't know HS offered a Teak or Hunter Green cover? Is that something new?

Congrats on getting the Grandee!!!
My wife and I have the 04 model,  Pearl finish with redwood everwood cabinet and hunter green cover. We couldnt be happier with it. When I bought it I had the dealer trade out the paper filters for the Tri-X filters and I only paid the difference. I am glad I did that as the Tri-X are a littlle $$$ and there is 5 of them. I think the dealer charged me $50 total. I am asuming you will also have the Luminescence 6 color light.  We love it and have it on all the time. It looks great with the pearl tub.  
Good luck with it and happy tubbing......

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 02:12:18 am »
Hunter green per my dealer is no longer avail. they have a lighter green called fern I think but not sure 100%

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 06:27:01 am »
Congrats T-Lady.  The agonizing is finally over and the good times will soon begin.  

You could use the "good cop, bad cop" routine for the $200 but it appears unlikely that you get the refund.  

Rather than ruin your expeprience, relax and enjoy it.  

In a year when those guys are out of business due to poor customer service, you can gloat a little.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 08:14:27 am »
Tubaholic:
From what I understand, the '06 comes with all Tri-X filters, but it was suggested that I buy one "regular" filter for the circulation pump. Their reasoning being, the circ pump doesn't need the unrestricted flow that the Tri-x offers, so I can use a normal one instead.
I'll have to look around a bit though, see if I can't find a little better deal....the regular filters are $30 each and the Tri-X are $60 each...if not, I guess the $60 filters are supposed to last 3-4 years each....I'll just buy one at a time as replacement filters for when the time comes...And yes, the tub's equipped with the luminescent lighting...it'll be interesting to see it in action. :)
Brook:
I can't wait.....I had to agonize over the colors, trying to choose what I want to look at for the next however many years, much like a car......*lol*
Snyper:
They only have ROOM for a few tubs. The store is an old bowling alley, and they've currently got two aboveground pools set up, along with several new model hot tubs, some older (in the process of being refurbished) tubs, a pool table (other side of store), pachislo machines, dart boards, etc. It's an all around type store....so I guess my answer to your rather....perky.....question would be "the kind of dealer that has branched out a bit, and doesn't have room for multiple items of the same model", I guess.
Hottubdan:
thanks, I figured I'd let him take out a little aggression, as I really doubted they'd refund the cash.....I just know better than to deal with them on ANYTHING, and word of mouth up here is BIG.
Snowbird:
the gloating has begun....I find it a cheap lesson that cost me $200 up front, instead of the next 2 years of TRYING to get my tub fixed if/when the dealer "has time" for me. I've also been armed with a LOT of good info, advice, etc....so I feel GOOD.
Thanks everyone!!
RIP C-Rod

Mr_Burns

• Nuclear Power is Safe, Clean and Reliable.
The GL dealers are probably lucky.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 09:18:26 am »
Do I have this straight?

You purchased a mediocre a tub on impulse putting down a non refundable deposit.

For hazy reasons, you decide that the tub isn't for you, and in the middle of a blizzard stumble across a former bowling alley, selling everything from slot machines to pool tables. They have only a couple of tubs available.  You don't wet test. But decide these folks must be better. Because...why?

You haven't mentioned anything about this new dealer other than owners are away and the "techs" (A lady with her infant daughter) give you warm and fuzzies.

You refinance your car and put money down on this tub.

3) Your husband gets loud and causes a scene at the other store when you announce you are not doing business with them.

Good luck to everyone involved in this soap opera.

To those watching at home:

1) Research the tubs available and their features. Do your homework.

2) Set a budget.

3) Wet Test.

3) Research the dealer (References, BBB, how long have they’ve held the dealership, do they own other stores, who makes up their service department etc.)

4)  Wet Test.

5) Compare notes and thoughts with others. Verify information.

6) Strike a professional deal with the salesmen, putting everything in writing.

7) Enjoy your life.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 09:42:00 am »
I put down money on a tub I was satisfied with and still have no complaints over, the mediocrity comes in where the dealers themselves were involved. I didn't learn that they're just completely unconcerned over customer satisfaction until subsequent visits where I asked questions, etc. I don't feel that not having confidence in the dealer to support any warranty claim is a "hazy reason" for backing out of the deal, do you? If YOUR tub went to pot, and was under warranty, would YOU want to depend on the guy that gave you garbage about how DIFFICULT it is to remove the service panel at the store, just so you could see underneath? I feel justified. So I found that they weren't the only local dealer, and made a call. Do you think it says "former bowling alley" in the yellow pages under their name? NO. They're a year round dealer, that sells a variety of "luxury" items, not JUST tubs and pools. I'm fine with that. Did I do all this because the girl and her baby gave me "warm fuzzies" because the babe was so cute, gurgled and cooed his way into my heart? NO. I asked questions, got ANSWERS, the tech answered my questions as well, word of mouth also was corrected, as I thought dealer A was the "good" one, but it turns out THIS was the store that everyone in the area is raving about having SUCH awesome sales and service people that I decided to move on it. Have I wet tested? NO. Does everyone that owns a tub wet test? NO. I have sat in tubs though, that are clearly too shallow, don't have enough footwell room, are confining, etc.
Did I go for the same brand I originally looked at? NO. The original dealer was SO lousy, in fact, that I want nothing to do with Great Lakes at this point. I do, however, feel that the Grandee is more tub than the Leelanau, and is more comfortable, has a better warranty, etc.
Our budget has changed dramatically, besides. If it hadn't, we wouldn't be getting an $8000 tub.
Soap Opera? Maybe, but ya know something? I think through what I do, believe it or not....and part of that process in ME is to talk through things....it seems to help the process. That AND researching products tirelessly. I've spent more time online in the last month looking at tubs, asking questions, weighing pros and cons...than I probably needed to, but in the end, I'm HAPPY with my decision, even if you don't agree with how I went about it. I don't NEED to justify myself or my purchase to you, but I think you got the wrong idea, wether it was by my wording or your interpretation of what I said.
As far as my husband having a short fuse, you BET he does. And I feel he was justified in going in, telling the owner that we're not buying from them, because they have lousy attitudes. If they have a problem with that, that's too bad, in my book. GOOD customer service will get more sales and repeat business in the end, anyhow.
Now that the headache of researching, asking the most basic questions, and trying to figure out if we've found the RIGHT people to go through is over.....it's going to be time to ENJOY what we've purchased.
Best of luck to you, Mr_Burns, I'll simply leave it at that.
RIP C-Rod

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 09:51:23 am »
Another happy success story!  Congratulations on getting the Rolls Royce of spas from people who obviously are happy to have your business and are willing to go the extra mile to earn your trust.

Pay no attention to the peanut gallery participants who just love to rain on everyone's parade.  You bought a spa that has no superior anywhere and it sounds like you got a very good deal on it.  Enjoy it for the next 20 years or more!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Mr_Burns

• Nuclear Power is Safe, Clean and Reliable.
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 10:18:20 am »
I put down money on a tub I was satisfied with and still have no complaints over, the mediocrity comes in where the dealers themselves were involved. I didn't learn that they're just completely unconcerned over customer satisfaction until subsequent visits where I asked questions, etc. I don't feel that not having confidence in the dealer to support any warranty claim is a "hazy reason" for backing out of the deal, do you? If YOUR tub went to pot, and was under warranty, would YOU want to depend on the guy that gave you garbage about how DIFFICULT it is to remove the service panel at the store, just so you could see underneath? I feel justified. So I found that they weren't the only local dealer, and made a call. Do you think it says "former bowling alley" in the yellow pages under their name? NO. They're a year round dealer, that sells a variety of "luxury" items, not JUST tubs and pools. I'm fine with that. Did I do all this because the girl and her baby gave me "warm fuzzies" because the babe was so cute, gurgled and cooed his way into my heart? NO. I asked questions, got ANSWERS, the tech answered my questions as well, word of mouth also was corrected, as I thought dealer A was the "good" one, but it turns out THIS was the store that everyone in the area is raving about having SUCH awesome sales and service people that I decided to move on it. Have I wet tested? NO. Does everyone that owns a tub wet test? NO. I have sat in tubs though, that are clearly too shallow, don't have enough footwell room, are confining, etc.
Did I go for the same brand I originally looked at? NO. The original dealer was SO lousy, in fact, that I want nothing to do with Great Lakes at this point. I do, however, feel that the Grandee is more tub than the Leelanau, and is more comfortable, has a better warranty, etc.
Our budget has changed dramatically, besides. If it hadn't, we wouldn't be getting an $8000 tub.
Soap Opera? Maybe, but ya know something? I think through what I do, believe it or not....and part of that process in ME is to talk through things....it seems to help the process. That AND researching products tirelessly. I've spent more time online in the last month looking at tubs, asking questions, weighing pros and cons...than I probably needed to, but in the end, I'm HAPPY with my decision, even if you don't agree with how I went about it. I don't NEED to justify myself or my purchase to you, but I think you got the wrong idea, wether it was by my wording or your interpretation of what I said.
As far as my husband having a short fuse, you BET he does. And I feel he was justified in going in, telling the owner that we're not buying from them, because they have lousy attitudes. If they have a problem with that, that's too bad, in my book. GOOD customer service will get more sales and repeat business in the end, anyhow.
Now that the headache of researching, asking the most basic questions, and trying to figure out if we've found the RIGHT people to go through is over.....it's going to be time to ENJOY what we've purchased.
Best of luck to you, Mr_Burns, I'll simply leave it at that.

You do not give the impression that you understand what you are talking about, and haven't done a lot of research for either the hot tubs, or the dealers.  

There was no need to cause a scene at the other store.

Anyhow, my thoughts were more for others who maybe buying a new tub, rather than for you.   Good luck with your tub.  You happen to have bought a fine unit.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:19:37 am by Mr_Burns »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 11:30:18 am »
The service guy there got all gushy when I told him about it, he said it almost GLOWS at night with the tub lights.....I thought that amusing, since he's a large biker-type guy....

Biker guys have feelings too!!

Lighting with shells that are pearl finish or a lighter shell color in general are really nice.

Congrats BTW.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

luvmytub

• Just a completely ingnorant newbie owner, 05 Envoy
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 12:28:15 pm »
I didn't wet test, T-Lady.  Just got offered a really good deal on a great spa, got a "warm-fuzzy" feeling about the dealer, and bought it.  So far I'm thrilled with it! ;D  Congrats and enjoy!
Go Bobby Labonte!  #43...Let's go racin'!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 12:28:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42