What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Finally Decided  (Read 4286 times)

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Finally Decided
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:19:52 pm »
I finally decided and ordered a 2006 Jacuzzi J385 today.   I probably did 25-30 wet tests over the past month to find the spa that fits my needs.  Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions!

Hot Tub Forum

Finally Decided
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:19:52 pm »

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Re: Finally Decided
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 07:29:38 pm »
Congrats spahopeful.....  Now you need to change your handle.

:D
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 07:58:14 pm »
yeah....instead of spahopeful.....you'll have to be wet, wrinkled or pruny.....but CLEAN. That's a LOTTA wet tests.
RIP C-Rod

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 08:13:01 pm »
thats an impressive search. congrats on the tub. just think, now you can enjoy the soak rather than compare it to "the other models"   ;)
Marquis dealer

Duffman

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 08:14:02 pm »
25-30 Wet Tests? Wow!!! I think we have a winner everyone  ;D

Seriously though, congratulations. I'm sure you'll get many years of enjoyment.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:14:33 pm by Duffman »

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 08:28:26 pm »
By the way Duff...

Thanks for the reports on all the WT's you did. You ought to be a little prunie yourself.  
;)

You really helped me to chose my 385.

I hope you are enjoying yours as much as we are enjoying ours.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Duffman

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 11:29:20 am »
Thanks Snowbird. I am extremely happy with my J385 and am certain that I made the right decision for my needs. I had thought to update my wet test report since purchasing my 385, but decided it would only be fair and un-based to leave my first wet test impressions as originally written in the report

We'll see how much I'm using it this time next year but so far I've been using it almost every day. I've also had about 5 hot tub parties that were lots of fun.

P.S. Since I enjoy watching TV, especially the Olympics, while in the 385, I'm definitely on the pruney side  :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:30:30 am by Duffman »

Duffman

J385: Post-Purchase Wet Test Updates
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 11:29:52 am »
Given my above disclaimer regarding the content in my wet test report. Here's my revised, post-purchase likes/dislikes for the J385 (These are my personal opinions and I'm not slamming any other hot tubs so nobody get defensive  ;))

• The 385 has a great open and comfortable layout and I'm very happy using all 8 seats depending on my mood and relaxation/therapy interests
  • I love how big the footwell in the 385 is. I can sit flat on the bottom of the spa and stretch my legs out. This is something I couldn't possibly do in most every spa I wet tested
  • With so many spas if you want jets on your feet you either rob power from the back jets using diverter valves, or on some spas you have to completely turn off power to other jets. With the 385 there is no compromise. You simply turn on all the pumps, relax,  and get a great massage in in every seat, for every back, calf, foot, and whirlpool jet at the same time. Most spas I wet tested required use of the diverter values to get a decent massage for different areas. Using the diverter values serves to make targeted seats feel even more intense. I love it!
  • A number of spas have 3 pumps but having one dedicated to the foot jets is a feature I love. I really disliked diverting power from back jets to get a foot massage with other spas.
  • The air injection system is rather unique to the Jacuzzi spas and I like it more and more. Nex time you look at a hot tub, take not of how many "jets" are dedicated for air bubbles. With a jacuzzi there are no "wasted" air bubble jets. Instead, you can enable air to be injected in the water jet stream for any of the jets in the spa. I find that the jets provide an even deeper massage with them enabled and I really like it. Also, in the 385 Jacuzzi did a great job putting 5 dedicated air injection buttons all around the spa (4 seat zones plus one for the foot/whirlpool jets). This means you have the option in most any seat to have this feature enabled or disabled. I just think it's a great feature. My only gripe is that the buttons could have been designed better. If you push them from an angle, they can stick. It's easy to correct it when it happens but still.
  • When I wet tested the Marquis Epic I was impressed with their "Therapy Tower," but I find the whirlpool side and foot jets on the 385 are just as beneficial. The location of the three foot jets are ideal for feet, ankles, knees, legs, and even hips. Since the footwell is so large I sometimes sit on the floor and can position all three foot jets on my leg and knee simultanously. It really works great for me.
  • In my wet test I gave full marks to the Master LSX for intensity in their Extreme Therapy seat. While I still think that spa seat is the best I wet tested, I find the 385's therapy seat comes close. If you want a strong, deep massage the 385 will not dissapoint.
  • I didn't realize it was there when I wet tested the 385, but there are two control panels. The primary control panel on the front and a secondary panel at the back (behind the waterfall) to control the lights and pumps. This allows for easy reach to the controls from 6 of the 8 seats (4 corners and 2 side seats) without having to get up or move.
  • Most hot tub waterfalls are just for show (e.g., water pours out in front of the filter) but the 385 has two of them which are perfectly positioned to allow water to cascade over your shoulders. I didn't think about this when I bought the spa but I do enjoy sitting in front of them.
  • I have rarely met a lounge chair that I liked in a hot tub but the 385's has grown on me. Since it positions the back and hips at a high sitting angle, I don't feel like I'm floating out of it. If it were designed like the Marquis Epic's adirondack chair I would be even more comfortable, but then I would lose that seat under the waterfall which is also good for a semi-cooldown seat since it is fairly shallow.
  • In my original wet test I comments on sliding out of one of the seats. This happened because I was wearing a slick fabric swimsuit in the therapy seat with the jets diverted to full and with the air injection on  :o  Since taking delivery I have not had any issues and quickly got used to the high power settings.

Dislikes
  • Removing the maintenance panel is a major pain in the you-know-what. There are a huge number of screws to remove. Fortunately I'll rarely have to deal with that.
  • The air injection buttons can stick if you don't push them in from an angle. Easy to fix but I still wasn't thrilled the few times it happened.
  • Some have reported that the diverter valves can pop off. I found this to be true if you pull up on it while adjusting the valve. Since I adjust the valves side-to-side, this has never happened. Perhaps a lock or extra resistance would keep this from happening but Jacuzzi did design them to come off for cleaning the shell underneath.
  • The filter cover in the 385 slides into place but does not have any resistance or lock to keep it in place. When reseating it after cleaning the filter, sometimes it will rise up 1/2-1 inch. I have to play with it for a minute to get it in place.
  • Jacuzzi really needs some flat or even better, recessed areas around the spa to place drinks. Using the top of the two waterfalls works well though and I bought a bar that is mounted to the side of the spa to take that issue.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:36:28 am by Duffman »

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 01:15:03 am »
I exagerated the number of wet tests, but only by a couple.  I counted and found that I actuall did 23 wet tests.  I tested some of the finalists more than once and tested some only because they were in the store and had water in them.   Here were the spas and the number of tests I did: Jacuzzi J385(3); J365 (1); Sundance Optima (2), Maxxus(2); Bahia(2); Hot Springs Vista(1); Hot Springs Grandee(1); Hot Springs Envoy(1); Marquis Epic(3); Marquis 636(2); Marquis Reward(2); Tiger River(1); Coleman705(1); Coast?(1).  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 01:36:31 am »
You wet teseted spas more than some spa owners use them! :D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 01:36:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42