What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hey, bird people!  (Read 3171 times)

anne

Hey, bird people!
« on: January 26, 2007, 04:01:46 pm »
Can I ask a favor? I was very impressed by the number of people who have parrots, etc here, and by how dedicated ya'll are to your feathered friends. I am helping our clinic with some outreach material. We'll have a small column in some paper or magazine, and were going to have a large screen TV in the waiting room with us talking about animal health topics for people to enjoy while waiting. Not sure how I feel about that part yet. Anyway, this is a blurb that I wrote about bird diets, and I'd like to know how it comes across, whether you consider yourself a very knowledgeable bird person or new at it. Thanks so much!

"Most of us know that eating a well balanced diet is a key factor in living a long, healthy life. This is also true for our pets- not just dogs and cats, but birds as well. Most medium to large sized pet birds have natural life spans of 15-60 or more years, and the single most important thing that you can do to maximize your bird’s longevity and vitality is to feed an appropriate diet.

Unfortunately there are many misconceptions about what our avian friends should be eating, and there are as many unhealthy packaged diets available in pet stores as there are healthy ones. Seed-based diets are high in fat and low in vitamins and other nutrients. People assume that because songbirds eat seeds that their parrot should too, and this problem is heightened by the huge availability of seed mixes sold as “bird food.” Seed diets are well accepted by parrots, cockatiels and other birds because the high fat content tastes good to them, but they are not healthy. Eating seed, over time, birds will develop poor feather condition, skin and beak problems, liver disease and a weakened immune system. Psittacines, or birds in the parrot family, are not naturally seed eaters. In their natural environment, they forage for a huge variety of plant and animal based foods. Most seed-eating parrots will have a significantly compromised lifespan compared to a bird on a healthy diet. Some packaged foods are made of a mix of seeds and small pellets, but most birds will invariably just pick out the seeds and scatter the rest, so these diets are no healthier.

There are a few very reputable pelleted avian diets that will ensure excellent nutrition for your bird. They come in a variety of sizes for budgies to macaws and are formulated for different health needs. There are even tasty treats available for variety. Weaning a seed eater to pellets is no small task, but will make a tremendous difference in your bird’s day to day health, and will prevent a number of chronic health problems. If you are considering getting a young bird, talk to your veterinarian first about starting the youngster off on pellets. If you have a seed eating bird, your veterinarian can also help you with tips for converting him to a healthy diet. We want you and your bird to enjoy many happy years together!"
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

Hey, bird people!
« on: January 26, 2007, 04:01:46 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Hey, bird people!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 08:42:49 pm »
Hi Anne,  That sounds teriffic! ..really excellent. I  wish that I had listened to that advice as my Tango started on pellet food, but my husband spoiled her by treating her with sunflowers and (the dreaded)peanuts. She would sit in his lap while they watched TV and munch sunflower seeds.  I thought a little bit wouldn't hurt because she also has fresh veggies...but pretty soon, just as you said,  she was ignoring the good stuff...and favoring the seeds.
So I still struggle to get her back on the pellets. It was stupid on my part because it is so much easier and cleaner to use the pellet foods. Her doctor makes a point to discuss diet at every visit. She actually keeps a log of each bird's typical diet as part of the health check up.
I think the idea of education while you wait is really fantastic...kids will watch too and it is amazing how much they retain when it comes from a TV!

Keep up the good work!

Support your dealer so they can support you!

anne

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 12:40:00 am »
Thanks Boni!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 09:43:59 am »
Anne, I just had a quick thought...I am very very careful about the quality of the birds drinking water. I clean and refill dishes twice a day (or more) so that no food or debris has a chance to contaminate the water.
And since they not only soak food in the water, but also bathe in it, it is real important to be sure it is clean... ;) I don't think people realize that just because they are animals, they don't need clean healthy water. ;)

Support your dealer so they can support you!

anne

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:00:45 pm »
That is a great point. I was focusing on just nutrition, but a comment about water might be a good addition. We're going to have a bunch of these little blurbs, and I'm hoping that another one of the bird docs will write something on general husbandry. I had thought she would lump hygiene in that one. We're going to have topics on all animals- vaccine protocols, heartworm disease, parvo, geriatrics, dental health........the list goes on, but I think I'm the only one so far to actually WRITE anything!!!!! That is partially why I was looking for input. I want it to sound friendly and approachable but not dumbed down. Thanks again for the help!!!!

Reese

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 06:17:37 pm »
... I want it to sound friendly and approachable but not dumbed down... 
I'm not a bird person, but I found it informative, and appropriate in tone.  I have noticed fresh vegetables and perhaps fruit in some of the cages of bird owning friends.  Perhaps it would make sense to at least address whether fresh items are appropriate or not.

anne

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 07:49:59 pm »
I'm not a bird person, but I found it informative, and appropriate in tone.  I have noticed fresh vegetables and perhaps fruit in some of the cages of bird owning friends.  Perhaps it would make sense to at least address whether fresh items are appropriate or not.

I was trying to just compare seed to pellets, for simplicity, but I was VERY tempted to add something about fresh foods. If I do, it'll take several sentences to say what needs to be said. I may have to edit for length a little, and do just that......thanks!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:03:20 pm by anne »

anne

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 08:04:40 pm »
I changed the last paragraph (and it became two paragraphs):

"There are a few very reputable pelleted avian diets that will ensure excellent nutrition for your bird. They come in a variety of sizes for budgies to macaws and are formulated for different health needs. There are even tasty treats available for variety. Weaning a seed eater to pellets is no small task, but will make a tremendous difference in your bird’s day to day health, and will prevent a number of chronic health problems. Birds can also enjoy a variety of human foods. Fresh fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts can be used to supplement a pelleted diet, though just adding these things to seed does not ensure appropriate nutrition. Birds should also never have avocado, chocolate, caffeine or anything cooked on Teflon.

If you are considering getting a young bird, talk to your veterinarian first about starting the youngster off on pellets and other healthy foods. If you have a seed eating bird, your veterinarian can also help you with tips for converting him to a healthy diet. We want you and your bird to enjoy many happy years together!"

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 08:04:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42