What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help-I have a beige spongy growth on my filters!  (Read 7106 times)

xqqqsme

Help-I have a beige spongy growth on my filters!
« on: February 05, 2006, 12:30:04 pm »
Chem experts, I need some help.

I found a growth on my filters this morning.  2005 HS Grandee.  The growth is a beige colored brown slimy pliable stuff that hugged the filter and formed ring shapes.

Should I drain right away and fill?

Don't know if this would have any impact but lowered the temperature from 102 to 100 yesterday and I rotated the filters about a week ago.  Rinsed them two weeks ago.  I am getting close to a drain and refill.  Weather is 40 degrees.  I shocked and am rinsing the filters in Dishwasher.   I usually put 1-1.5 tbsp di-chlor in the tub after use.

Hot Tub Forum

Help-I have a beige spongy growth on my filters!
« on: February 05, 2006, 12:30:04 pm »

J._McD

Re: Help-I have a beige spongy growth on my filter
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 12:41:40 pm »
You don't know what it is and your putting them in the diswasher? ::)

I would suggest super chlorinating the spa and letting it run for a period of time with the cover open for 15 minutes to eliminate the intital gassing off from the water.

Then clean your filters as you will. :-/

More importantly, let's try to find out what this stuff is.  You say it is in the filter, did it get filtered out of the water, or would you say it was attached to the filter or even may appear to be a growth on the filters?  Do you have any floaties in the water that may be a clue to the origin?  What kind of chemicals do your use?  Do you have ozone? ???

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 01:19:44 pm »
I am guessing "white water mold."  If so, there is a NSPI (I know that is the old name of our trade group) decomtamintation process.

Have you always used dichlor after every use, or have you previously tried the "chlorine free" Everfresh System?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 02:32:28 pm »
sounds to me that you need a strong batch of penicillin.  stop having strippers in the tub, that should clear it up real quick ;D

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 03:14:57 pm »
It isn't white water mold.  This looks like tissue paper in the spa.  

I would super chlorinate, as previously suggested and see if that will kill the stuff and then drain and refill.

xqqqsme

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 05:01:04 pm »
Refilling & super chlorinating now.  Will report back after the big game.

In_Too_Long

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 01:00:58 pm »
Have you used a water clarifier lately?

xqqqsme

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 06:20:51 pm »
No, haven't used water clarifier.  

Is there a site I can find tech info to ID this growth on the filter thing?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 06:25:01 pm »
I have seen it (or it sure sounds the same). Superchlorinate, run pumps for an hour because you ahve to assume the plumbing may be compromised, drain thoroughly, refill, give it a heavy dose of chlorine again with the pumps on. While you're doing that rinse the filters and then soak them for 24 hrs in a helthy dose of filter cleaner (I wouldn't use the spray type cleaner in this case) and rinse them until the cows come home.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 07:03:49 pm »

Is there a site I can find tech info to ID this growth on the filter thing?

It's kind of like using a "site" to diagnose skin issues.  The only way to really find out is to go to an expert...Doctors for skin issues; water labs for water issues...they could likely take a sample and determine its origin by trying to grow it under lab conditions.  My $.02 :)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 08:05:11 pm »

It's kind of like using a "site" to diagnose skin issues.  The only way to really find out is to go to an expert...Doctors for skin issues; water labs for water issues...they could likely take a sample and determine its origin by trying to grow it under lab conditions.  My $.02 :)

I think a full expense paid trip for bonibelle and her husband is in order ... They're our resident experts here, I guess we could get Vermonter out from Doc's place if need be!!  

Good thing it's not my tub ...  ;D

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 08:54:58 pm »
Any chance you could take a picture of it? I really don't know if I could be of help, but what you describe is just what I thought might grow in the warm water. I was surprised about Pseudomonas being the worst contaminant (but now that makes sense to me). There are organisms that thrive very well in hot water (some in very very hot water), called thermophiles. The one I have in mind is  bacillus, an organism found in soil etc. As this organism grows, it often forms an almost crusty covering over a slimy glob of colonies. Xqqqsme, Do you by chance live near farms?
It may not be a microorganism at all...but if it is a bicillus organism, it could  be very resistant to disinfection, as it is able to form spores.
If I were you, I would shock and empty and disinfect very well. On the other hand could it just be a glob of lotions oil or make up stuff?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 08:59:31 pm »
Any chance you could take a picture of it? I really don't know if I could be of help, but what you describe is just what I thought might grow in the warm water. I was surprised about Pseudomonas being the worst contaminant (but now that makes sense to me). There are organisms that thrive very well in hot water (some in very very hot water), called thermophiles. The one I have in mind is  bacillus, an organism found in soil etc. As this organism grows, it often forms an almost crusty covering over a slimy glob of colonies. Xqqqsme, Do you by chance live near farms?
It may not be a microorganism at all...but if it is a bicillus organism, it could  be very resistant to disinfection, as it is able to form spores.
If I were you, I would shock and empty and disinfect very well. On the other hand could it just be a glob of lotions oil or make up stuff?

See ... I told you she was our resident expert!  ;D

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 09:20:34 pm »
Consult with my hubby, he says 5/1 bleach solution to disinfect and drain then wipe down with IPA. (I am pretty sure my dealer said it was safe to IPA the shell but spa guys on here could verify that). Realize he is suggesting what he would do to sterilize equipment in the pharmaceutical industry. He thinks it could be bacillus or maybe a mold. I would love to know though!
I think I would also disinfect my dishwasher ???
Support your dealer so they can support you!

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:28:06 pm »

I think a full expense paid trip for bonibelle and her husband is in order ... They're our resident experts here, I guess we could get Vermonter out from Doc's place if need be!!  

Good thing it's not my tub ...  ;D

Now gear down there, big rig ;D...my wife is a lead tech in our provincial virology lab with specialization in molecular diagnostics...don't I get a whirl at the free trip? ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:28:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42