What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Starting to get the hang of this...  (Read 3628 times)

arnisarn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Starting to get the hang of this...
« on: January 16, 2006, 11:37:59 pm »
Well... we've progressed since I posted "... so confused" and we are having a lot of fun with it.  We have now looked at Cal Spas, Jacuzzi, HS (twice), Caldera (twice), Marquis, Arctic, LA Spas, and Saratoga.  I wet-tested the Calderas this past Sunday and can see why people get addicted to their tub!!  I loved the Niagara... every seat.

The HS guy we are working with came out today to do a site visit... determining if we can put the tub (Envoy) up on the deck (where we would love it) or under (where we wouldn't mind it at all).  We know this dealer put a Tiger River Bengal on our next door neighbor's deck which is the same height as ours without a crane.

The Caldera guy is coming out tomorrow afternoon to take a look.  Hopefully, he will have some ideas, but is freaking me out with his pre-visit predictions that there is nothing that can be done to get the tub up on our deck.

I wasn't impressed with the Jacuzzi salesman, but liked the store manager and I think they have a good product, but there was nothing special enough to make me go back for a wet test.  The Marquis staff on Saturday were such doofuses that I don't think I can go back.  They are discontinuing carrying the Coleman line and were slamming it so bad that we were turned off.  When I was trying to ask them questions comparing their "Frogger" system with Ozone + silver ions, the manager told me that I didn't know what iI was talking about... that he had never heard of putting a metal like silver in a hot tub... that it would ruin the entire tub.  Marquis may have a great product, but they certainly didn't sell it!!

Loved dry testing the Arctic Klondiker.  May go back to wet test it, but the "bottom line" deal might be a little rich for our blood.  I want therapy, but I don't live in Canada... just Virginia.  It will be interesting to see what their new non-wood shells look like after they are introduced February 1.  The one concern that I really have about this tub is the somewhat constrictive molded seatsing  My husband and I aren't tremendously overweight and they were quite fitted for us dry.  We are concerned that some of our friends might not be comfortable at all or even able to fit in any seat.

Didn't like the seating in the LA Spas so won't wet test.  The same wholesale distributor sells Saratoga and they seemed to have some features that I liked, but I haven't been able to find out enough consumer information.  There doesn't seem to be much chat about this brand on forums.  Anyone have an opinion??

We are making an appt. to wet test an Envoy this weekend.  The dealer just got one in and will fill it for us. If I had to guess... right now we are tied between the Caldera Niagara (and the dealer is willing to deal a little bit) and the HS Envoy.

I have learned so much on this forum and I look forward to learning more and hearing from you all.

Term - thanks for the PMs.  I will think of some offline questions, I'm sure.  BTW arnisarn = arn(my initials) is a rn.

arn

Hot Tub Forum

Starting to get the hang of this...
« on: January 16, 2006, 11:37:59 pm »

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
Re: Starting to get the hang of this...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:18:28 am »
What was the price you were quoted on the Arctic Spas Klondiker?  What series was the price for as the Klondiker?  The Klondiker has 6 different prices one for each jetting package (series)?  

I just want to see if that model is equivalent to the Caldera Niagara (46 jets 8 spinning and 36 shooting straight out by the look of there web site I belive this spa also has an air blower)  This would be equivalent to our 7' Ultra Cub or Yukon or an any 8' Ultra (which includes the Klondiker).  

The HS Envoy (has 37 jets which 4 rotating jets one moto jet, and 32 jets that shoot straight out again what I gather from the web site).  Based on the size probably more comparable to any 8' Signature.  So again wet test all spas including the Arctic.  Make sure you are comparing apples to apples features to features.   Make a spread sheet on all the features.  

Arctic has a few cool new features for 2006.  I got my preview last week.  

Michael
www.HeavenlyTimes.com

arnisarn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:53:33 am »
This is what is listed on the pre-order that we received.  Klondiker Legend Extreme - 61 jets and 20 blower jets, cover, regular ozone, triguard heater, waterfall, northern lights, wave seat, aromatherapy, microban color, cover lifter, handrail (throw-in at N/C), chemicals, steps, delivery ($250), class, site survey.  $10,400

Caldera Niagara - $8,999, delivery included, cover, cover lifter,steps, chemicals, class, site survey.  

HS Envoy - $8,795 includes cover, starter chemicals, and 2 of these 3:  cover lifter, ozone, or steps.

I plan to talk to the HS dealer/owner.  He is coming out to look at the deck since the salesman didn't want to be the final decider.  I think this weird pricing/packaging is weird and a little misleading.  I feel like I'm trying to compare apples and oranges.

arn

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 01:16:21 am »
Arn,
Take it slow; this purchase needs to last you a dog's life. You're certainly doing well so far and seem to have a grasp on things.

As far as the silver in hot tub comment, that is lame but it's hard to say what was behind that statement. When a salesperson says something confusing, wrong or contradictory it's always best to let them know that their answer seems off base and see if they correct it or dog a deeper hole. Sometimes they're mistaken, sometimes misinformed and sometimes just plain full of crap. When you let them know their answer is suspect their follow up typically gives you insight as to where their answer came from (sometimes they're new and don't like to admit it).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 01:21:19 am »
That is a great spa.  The tharpy of the Klondiker Legend Extreme is unbelevable.  Each and every one of the 61 jets spin.  Please wet test this spa and you will see the differenc of all sping jets (which can be repalced with directional jets).  

But as far as a comparison to either the Hot Springs or Caldaria.  Please check out the Klondiker Signature and Ultra.  As these two modles are more on the same level of therapudic value.  You should find the prices in the range as the other two models your looking at.  

Take the minor accessories out of the equasion.  I'm sure each dealer will match the other dealers accessories that they will include.  

Warranty (which is pretty equal on all spas your looking at)
Therapudic Value.  
Comfort.
etc.

But please make sure you wet the Arctic Klondiker Signature or Ultra to get a more apples to apples comparision of jetting package.  

autoplay

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:35:26 am »
I own a 2003 Caldera Geneva Utopia,and I'm still in love with it!

As far as Hottubguru pushing Arctic,I believe in testing all brands/models prior to making a decision. I do feel he's pushing Arctic,for whatever reason?.?

Anyways,what I have done with our spa,is replace 20+ of the regular jets with "euro-pulse" jets,which spin. I tested them in various configurations,until I was satisfied with the massage/feel of em. They are the small spinning jets that are located in the deepest seat,where your hands/wrists would sit.

Also,at the time of purchase of our spa,included with the purchase,was the GFCI breaker box,which is an added savings of 200+ $'s .

Glad to see you're taking your time,and shopping around. Let the wet-test,and dealer comfort be your guide.

If you have any questions regarding Caldera Geneva Utopia,don't hesitate to ask me,as I'm just a lowly consumer/grin.

GL,Rich

luvmytub

• Just a completely ingnorant newbie owner, 05 Envoy
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 09:42:09 am »
Arnisarn, you are further along than we are at this point.  I'm looking forward to my first shopping excursion.  I just wanted to comment that about a year ago, when DH & I very first started talking hot tubs, (before I had unexpected surgery that set us back), I had emailed the nearest Jacuzzi/D1 dealer, requesting some info.  I never rec'd any type of response.  I live two hours away, so I didn't feel it was inappropriate to contact them that way, requesting some information to review before we got to visit the dealership.  Maybe I am wrong about that?  It has already given me kind of a bad feeling about what their followup service might be like after the sale.  

Dealers, if you don't mind me asking, would I be the customer you hate to see coming in the door, because I live two hours from your location?  Would that make you be secretly wishing "please don't buy from me"?

I have realized, since I first posted that there is a Hot Spring dealer closer to me than the one in Amarillo.  This one is about 40 miles away, in another state, Kansas.  Would that be any kind of problem?  Purchasing out of state?  I would like to visit both dealerships, and get information about how long each has been in business, etc.  I haven't been able to locate dealerships for any of the others any closer than two hours from me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 09:43:41 am by wannaspa »
Go Bobby Labonte!  #43...Let's go racin'!

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 10:15:40 am »
Arnisarn,

Everyone is different and has different needs.  You really should just make the effort to wet test the spas that are of interest to you.  Forget all the advice about spread sheets, pump and jet counts and so on.  None of that matters in the end.

For what it is worth, the dealer should be a big factor in your decision.  A great spa that has a lousy dealer, or one that is not close enough to give you good service could result in unhappiness.  On the other hand, a good dealer can make even a less than top level spa satisfactory.  

Of the ones you mentioned, in my opinion the Caldera would be ahead of the others if the dealer is good.  Notice I say this and I own an Envoy.  Arctic might make a nice tub, but friends of mine that bought one have had numerous problems and poor dealer support.  

Regards,

Bill

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 10:58:16 am »
I have realized, since I first posted that there is a Hot Spring dealer closer to me than the one in Amarillo.  This one is about 40 miles away, in another state, Kansas.  Would that be any kind of problem?  Purchasing out of state?  I would like to visit both dealerships, and get information about how long each has been in business, etc.  

That shouldn't be an issue as long as they'll be there to service you. 40 miles isn't too far but you still might want to ask about any trip fees for servicing.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 10:58:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42