What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: THIS PIC SHOULD START A DISCUSSION  (Read 7154 times)

grumpy

THIS PIC SHOULD START A DISCUSSION
« on: January 12, 2007, 02:10:50 pm »

Hot Tub Forum

THIS PIC SHOULD START A DISCUSSION
« on: January 12, 2007, 02:10:50 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: THIS PIC SHOULD START A DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 05:23:35 pm »
Other than the model is photoshoped in?

How about, they use flat grain wood in their tubs. Flat grain tends to become much more textured under water and can delaminate and/or peal.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:18:13 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

grumpy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:49:25 am »
THESE TUBS CAN BE FOUND AT http://WWW.SNORKEL.COM THEY SELL FOR 2K - 3K
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:50:54 am by grumpy »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 12:12:47 pm »
THESE TUBS CAN BE FOUND AT http://WWW.SNORKEL.COM THEY SELL FOR 2K - 3K

Well, kind of. But that just gets you the tub and a wood burning stove. There's no bench, no cover, no drain, no pump, no filter, no jets, no controller, no chemical kit, no ionizer, basically no nothing else. The complete gas or electric systems are more like 4k to 6k. But all in all, they're a decent tub, been in business as long as anyone, and take care of their customers. I had the privilege of have lunch with the owner of the company and touring their facility a few years ago. Still though, he did say to me, "we consider your hot tubs to be the Cadillac of the industry".  ::)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:19:20 pm by lets »

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 03:58:23 pm »
I will say this about that...

The wood-burning stove is an interesting idea for a hot tub. You have to do actaul work to maintain the water temperature. Most of my customers would go crazy if I asked them to do that much work to enjoy a soak without the temperature going too high or too low. And carry firewood? Forget it.

But they are still selling a few of these things. Some folks are willing to do what it takes, and they love the whole idea.

I have put one in - thats over twenty five years in the pool/spa business - but I ended up going back the following year and installing a 1/2HP pump (may have been 3/4HP) with two jets, two suction fittings, a filter, a timeclock, and a gas heater. They left the stove in place, but I don't think they used it much anymore.

The tub I put this stuff into was from Robert's Hot Tubs in the Bay Area. I don't recall which manufacturer supplied the stove - I'll assume it was snorkel, but it was a long time ago. I used to live and work in the 'Other California.' Roberts is a name-brand company who offers tubs in various types of wood, in various shapes and sizes, and they can set you up with a complete gas-fired system with jets or whitout, with air bubbler or without, etc.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 10:59:09 am »
You have to admit...the traditional wood hot tubs sure look nice.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 11:12:20 am »
You have to admit...the traditional wood hot tubs sure look nice.
Yeah they are good looking but you certainly have to have the right enviroment for one. It would look totally out of place on my patio.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 11:13:51 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 11:14:53 am »
Doc, is that your personal tub?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 01:33:07 pm »
Nope.............. This one is though;

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 12:25:09 am »
So that's what the Dr. prescribes. ;)

I like how you kept the boards in line up the tub surround.

Very nice.. 8-)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:29:32 am by WHY_NOT »

autoplay

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 12:59:53 am »
LOL Why Not......only a tile/stone mason would see that ;)

If I moved to ST Louis,would you hire me?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 07:33:21 am »

If I moved to ST Louis,would you hire me?

I'm sorry but we only hire family and even then it's very difficult. It took ALOT of convincing to even let one of their sons (me) join. It's been just me, my Dad, and my Uncle for 6 years now. Two of their other brothers used to work for them also but things just didn't work out. We get calls all the time from guys at our Local looking for jobs but my boses are too scared to expand any more. They even turned down two of my cousins. They like to keep a close eye on every little move. My uncle is one of the tightest human beings you will ever encounter. I think only family would put up w/ their $h!t everyday.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 07:40:05 am by WHY_NOT »

autoplay

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 09:19:51 am »
I hear ya lol.  When I was indentured to the union in Cal years ago,you had to know someone,and they had to be respected etc.  When I joined,we had a seperate finishers union. That about 12 years ago,went to the wayside,and they merged the Terrazo/setters/finishers all into 1 union,which was through the brickies.

Reputation is a big thing in my book,so in that regards,your family is doing it right!

You all going after remodel/commercial work these days?  It's slow here as far as new resi,and don't see that spectrum turning around till Oct this year,if not later.

Keeping this somewhat hot-tub related,how often you see in-ground spas at the worksite? ;)

Carefully click on this link,it's somewhat disney themed in nature(18+ please)http://bf2s.com/player/64687198/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 09:28:47 am by autoplay »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 04:29:20 pm »

You all going after remodel/commercial work these days?  It's slow here as far as new resi,and don't see that spectrum turning around till Oct this year,if not later.

We've been picking up a few here and there. New home has been pretty slow the past few months. :( The only thing I like about doing remodel for awhile is that once you get back to new constuction, you apreciate how much easier it is. No tearing out and no worries about making a mess. :D

Btw, that game looks very cool, What is it?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 04:33:14 pm by WHY_NOT »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 04:29:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42